OT: RIP Jack Ramsay | The Boneyard

OT: RIP Jack Ramsay

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A remarkable coach and even more remarkable man. Here's a beautiful tribute to Jack written by his son: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10851183/dr-jack-ramsay-father-friend

Jack was Geno's presenter at Geno's Naismith induction ceremony.

Geno Auriemma ‏@genoauriemma 3h
We lost a giant of a man last night. Dr Jack Ramsay died at 89 yrs old. Anyone who has ever touched a basketball should say a prayer.#LEGEND

Reaction Score
One of the stalwarts of Philly and Big Five basketball.........and a frequent flyer at our haunt in Ocean City, NJ, where I saw him often on the boardwalk. He played with, against, or coached a number of the great Philly area legends. "Let's go, Saint Joe!.....Let's go, Saint Joe."

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
One of the greatest basketball minds of all time. You listen to his broadcasts and always learn something.

Gonna miss Dr. Jack.

Reaction Score
He coached the Buffalo Braves long ago and far away. A legend.

I didn't know he presented Geno.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
One of the stalwarts of Philly and Big Five basketball....and a frequent flyer at our haunt in Ocean City, NJ, where I saw him often on the boardwalk. He played with, against, or coached a number of the great Philly area legends. "Let's go, Saint Joe!.....Let's go, Saint Joe."

You can make it to 89 in Ocean City, cause the town won't let you booze up.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Jack had connections to Branford. I forget what they were.

Reaction Score

WIRE: don't really know who you are, but from the looks of your pic, I'll take that as a blessing or, at least, a welcome prediction. And a chuckle here. However, you ever heard of Somers Point? Let's go, Saint Joe!

Reaction Score
Jack Ramsay was the architect of a 1-3-1 trapping defense that we ran with great success in high school; took us to the Nassau County(NY) finals in 1972 (at the time, that was the big prize. there was no state championship) where we were roundly trounced by South Side, a team that featured Beaver Smith who went on to a decent career at St. John's but was a bit undersized for the pro game. However, Beaver threw back anything that came weak inside. We called the defense "St. Joe's" having no idea, at the time, that Coach Ramsay was its creator; Only that our coach got it from personally observing St. Joseph's run it.

Coach Ramsay's 1977 Portland Trailblazers team was a fun team to watch as they emerged from seemingly out of nowhere. As good as Bill Walton was that year, I thought the MVP of that team was Maurice Lucas. Walton's numerous injuries in subsequent years made it impossible for Coach Ramsay to duplicate the success of his 1977 team.

Yet another of a seemingly long line of basketball greats/geniuses with roots in Philadelphia.

Reaction Score
VAU: leave it to Beaver. (Sounds like you had a great run....heady stuff....congrats and a tip of the cap)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Or are you referring to Ocean Grove, NJ, the old Methodist camp-town that used to ban motor vehicles on Sundays?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Or are you referring to Ocean Grove, NJ, the old Methodist camp-town that used to ban motor vehicles on Sundays?

No, I have been in that tent city, having had a girl friend whose family habituated. As I remember, you couldn't ocean frolic either on Sundays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom