OT: RIP at 94..."what a stupid I am" | The Boneyard

OT: RIP at 94..."what a stupid I am"

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
A few days ago Argentinian Roberto De Vicenzo passed away at 94.
He won 230 golf tournaments around the globe [yikes!] including one major....he beat Nicklaus at the British Open in 1967.

I read somewhere that he said he received more fame [and more money]
from his infamous gaffe in the 1968 Masters.

He led Bob Goalby by one shot after a birdie on 17 on Sunday. But he bogied 18 to [apparently] tie Goalby and they would have gone to a playoff....BUT!
His playing partner Tommy Aaron had recorded a par on 17 not a birdie.
Roberto was angry at his bogey on 18 and quickly signed his card without really checking it. The 3 became a 4...and Goalby won by that one shot.

Roberto declared 'what a stupid I am'. Maybe the most famous quote from a golfer ever.

A little golf wisdom [or not]. I remember him having a very natural/not especially technical or refined swing....and pretty much all Argentinians
since then on the tour have similar swings. He was pretty much the Father of Golf in that country.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
The rigid rules of golf can be punitive and lead to heartbreak.

Lexi Thompson lost a women`s major earlier this year because she replaced her ball on the green slightly wrong for a putt of about six inches. The violation occurred on Saturday and she was notified of the violation during her round on Sunday. It was a two shot penalty for the violation and another two shot violation for turning in an incorrect score. Four shots total. She lost in a playoff.

The violation was only noticed by a television viewer who called it in. That that is allowed is a whole `nother matter.

Both Roberto and Lexi handled their respective devastating situations with uncommon grace. That is Roberto`s main legacy, IMHO.

Many of the pro golfers back then had unorthodox swings, including Arnie himself. They are generally more mechanically sound and similar these days, likely due to better coaching early on. Some notable exceptions are Jim Furyk with his big (though repeatable) loop, and the incredibly talented Bubba Watson who has never had a swing lesson. Also strangely enough Jordan Speith, whose unbelievable putting prowess hides some deficiencies in his tee to green game that some attribute to an unconventional grip.

Here are some clips of Roberto - natural and fluid, but more legginess and body movement than you typically see from the pros today. There are 230 reasons why it worked for him, should have been 231.

Reaction Score
Today's pros may be more technically sound and look alike and pretty but they can only dream of getting to Roberto's impact position as consistently as he did. That stop action in the video says it all. He was magnificent.

Reaction Score
The rigid rules of golf can be punitive and lead to heartbreak.

Lexi Thompson lost a women`s major earlier this year because she replaced her ball on the green slightly wrong for a putt of about six inches. The violation occurred on Saturday and she was notified of the violation during her round on Sunday. It was a two shot penalty for the violation and another two shot violation for turning in an incorrect score. Four shots total. She lost in a playoff.

The violation was only noticed by a television viewer who called it in. That that is allowed is a whole `nother matter.

Both Roberto and Lexi handled their respective devastating situations with uncommon grace. That is Roberto`s main legacy, IMHO.

Many of the pro golfers back then had unorthodox swings, including Arnie himself. They are generally more mechanically sound and similar these days, likely due to better coaching early on. Some notable exceptions are Jim Furyk with his big (though repeatable) loop, and the incredibly talented Bubba Watson who has never had a swing lesson. Also strangely enough Jordan Speith, whose unbelievable putting prowess hides some deficiencies in his tee to green game that some attribute to an unconventional grip.

Here are some clips of Roberto - natural and fluid, but more legginess and body movement than you typically see from the pros today. There are 230 reasons why it worked for him, should have been 231.

Just for clarity and not argumentative---are you miffed/angry/incedulous that a TV fan called it it or a Fan Caught it or it was not a official that called it?? If a fan at the event caught it --or a tV Fan catches it--I see no difference--if the rules allow--personally that which isn't caught immediately --and if play resumed without incident--??? hmmm??

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Just for clarity and not argumentative---are you miffed/angry/incedulous that a TV fan called it it or a Fan Caught it or it was not a official that called it?? If a fan at the event caught it --or a tV Fan catches it--I see no difference--if the rules allow--personally that which isn't caught immediately --and if play resumed without incident--??? hmmm??

I am not sure what you mean by play resuming without incident, but in Lexi's case there was a significant time lag of approximately 24 hours. If the penalty had been called on her during the course of the round itself, she would not have turned in an incorrect scorecard and presumably would have won. The "late call" also probably impacted her style of play, she was probably playing more conservatively with the lead. So, part of the problem is the timing, since there will usually and perhaps inevitably be a significant time lag. That is my major concern.

From a larger perspective, though, I am not in favor of allowing individuals to "call in" violations. I am not angry or incredulous about it, just don't like it. Even if it doesn't do a perfect job, I think golf regulates itself quite well without the need to get spectators involved.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
A few days ago Argentinian Roberto De Vicenzo passed away at 94.
He won 230 golf tournaments around the globe [yikes!] including one major....he beat Nicklaus at the British Open in 1967.

I read somewhere that he said he received more fame [and more money]
from his infamous gaffe in the 1968 Masters.

He led Bob Goalby by one shot after a birdie on 17 on Sunday. But he bogied 18 to [apparently] tie Goalby and they would have gone to a playoff....BUT!
His playing partner Tommy Aaron had recorded a par on 17 not a birdie.
Roberto was angry at his bogey on 18 and quickly signed his card without really checking it. The 3 became a 4...and Goalby won by that one shot.

Roberto declared 'what a stupid I am'. Maybe the most famous quote from a golfer ever.

A little golf wisdom [or not]. I remember him having a very natural/not especially technical or refined swing....and pretty much all Argentinians
since then on the tour have similar swings. He was pretty much the Father of Golf in that country.

I guess you could call him the GolfFather.

Reaction Score
After the Lexi Thompson incident, the USGA and R&A came out with a new guideline that pertains to situations like hers. It will give the officials a lot more leeway to not penalize someone for something like that.

"(1) the “naked eye” standard (if video shows the existence of a breach of the Rules based on facts the player was not aware of at the time and that could not reasonably have been seen with the naked eye, there will be no penalty), and (2) the “reasonable judgment” standard (if a player does all that can reasonably be expected in making a determination about a spot, area, point, line, distance or other location in applying the Rules, the player’s reasonable judgment will be upheld even if later shown to be wrong by video evidence or other information.)"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom