OT; Regarding horse racing. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT; Regarding horse racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree. The “Triple Crown” isn’t a real event in itself – it’s three separate and wholly independent events that we, the fans and media, group into something more special. But the Preakness and Belmont are individual races, and running in the Kentucky Derby isn’t a requirement to run in the Preakness anymore than competing in Wimbledon is a requirement to play in the U.S. Open.

And as you (I think) mentioned before, at one time the Preakness preceded the Kentucky Derby; it has also, I believe, occurred on the same day as the Kentucky Derby, which would make winning the mythological “Triple Crown” really difficult. The “Triple Crown” as we know it settled into its current form in the early 1930s even though the Kentucky Derby, the newest of the three races, dates back to the 1870s. In all that time, there have been eleven “Triple Crown” winners, one prior to the 1930s, seven between 1930 and 1948, and then just the three in the 1970s including Secretariat and the only two back-to-back winners, Seattle Slew and Affirmed. That group of three may be misleading us into assuming that winning the “Triple Crown” was common in the past, but after the war years there was a twenty-four year gap before Secretariat. Or looking at it another way, perhaps we should consider “Triple Crown” winners more as statistical freak events since in the sixty-five years since 1948 there have only been three horses that have won all three races.

As far as times, we’re in an era where, as you said, we breed and train horses for sprint speed over stamina, just like we condition pitchers for six innings. Remember when a “quality start” was a complete game? Now they’re doing well if they consistently pitch long enough to be the pitcher of record, and horses are trained for runs of under a mile.

Finally, while Secretariat’s Belmont run is legendary, his Preakness was equally spectacular. Always a slow starter, he is in last place heading into the first turn but all Ron Turcotte had to do is to move him to the outside and “send him” and by the time they come out of the first turn, he’s passed the entire field – on the outside of the turn. As stunning as his Belmont run was, in my mind what fans call “the move” (not to be confused with “The Decision”®) is his dominant moment.

(Skip ahead to about 12:30 for the Preakness and 18:00 for the Belmont)

I saw that yesterday while delving into Youtube videos. The commentators were going crazy to think that a horse could possibly pass the entire field and go from last to first in such a short distance while running on the outside. It was superhuman though there must be a different term when referring to equine. I opened up a few videos reminiscing about this majestic animal who graced us just over 40 years ago. After Secretariat was retired, it was rare to see or hear anything of him publicly though he had a constant stream of people who would travel down to his horse farm and visit. I only wish I had made that trip before he was lost to us all. In a very brief amount of time, he made an indelible impression on horse racing and beyond, touching millions of us.

Reaction Score
According to Tom Gilcoyne at the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in Saratoga, N.Y., horse racing in this country during colonial times was run clockwise, or "right-handed" (all right-hand turns). But during the American revolution, that English custom was deliberately replaced by left-handed track races like the ones we see in America today.

In England 30–40% of races are now run the same way ours are. In central Europe, however, most are run right-handed.

Incidentally, Man o' War's victory at the 1920 Belmont Stakes was run right-handed. The Belmont was run that way from its first season at Belmont Park in 1905 until 1921.
I didn't know that; thought you were kidding. Please accept my apology.
BUT, that's not the right answer. The reason is that most horses are naturally left footed. That is to say that on the gallop their left front foot reaches the ground before their right foot and therefore they turn more easily and faster to the left. Certain rodeo events are designed with this in mind, I once read.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Secretariat was indeed the pinnacle, but a horse will come along and beat his records someday. I don't subscribe to the notion that he is unbeatable. All records are meant to be broken.
Sonny- I tend to agree with that assertion. Wayne Lucas was training a 2 yr old a few yrs back that was running races and times that made Secretariat look slow. Unfortunately the horse broke down before he was three.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
here's a link to Belmont Park's records: http://www.nyra.com/belmont/records/

You will notice that the distances from 1 1/8 miles and up are generally much older than those a mile or shorter.

Saturday a 7F race at Belmont was run in 1:20.75, close to the track record of 1:20.17.

But horse races are more like those pursuit bicycle races on a track in the Olympics than the 100 meters. Young horses (2yo's) tend to just run as fast as they can for as long as they can . As they mature their speed is harnessed.

The fastest times I ever saw were at Turf Paradise. The record there for 6 furlongs is 1:06.49 Belmont's is 1:07.66. Tyler Phommachanh is a 3rd or 4th rate track and the quality of the horses reflects it. The condition of the surface has a lot to do with times.
Hey Alydar- the Affirmed/Alydar races were epic! I didn't realize Alydar was running hurt throughout his career with foot or hoof problems. But it is my understanding that he became the greatest stud of his generation!

Reaction Score
Hey Alydar- the Affirmed/Alydar races were epic! I didn't realize Alydar was running hurt throughout his career with foot or hoof problems. But it is my understanding that he became the greatest stud of his generation!

While Secretariat's Belmont is the one most remembered, this has to be one of the best head to head races ever run between champion-level horses.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
While Secretariat's Belmont is the one most remembered, this has to be one of the best head to head races ever run between champion-level horses.

Awesome- thanks for posting---- My Dad & Mom were Saratoga regulars- I wish I still had all the "I'm an Affirmed Believer" paraphonalia from those days- hats and shirts, etc.....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Alydar was amazing just in the fact that he never changed leads coming down the stretch. If he ever learned how, things my have been different.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Between Alydar and Seattle Slew as far as I am concerned.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Between Alydar and Seattle Slew as far as I am concerned.

I think Mr. Prospector might be the most influential sire in that time frame, along with Storm Cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom