OT: Reality TV Shows That Frost The Buns | The Boneyard

OT: Reality TV Shows That Frost The Buns

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Of course, reality TV is well known to be anything but. However, some, while being entertaining, truly insult your intelligence in the process. Recently I tripped into one that feeds an old boyhood fantasy - owning a cheap, get the chicks sports car! This testosterone inspired quest started when I bought a virtually stripped TR3 chassis intending to restore it with lunch money and sweat. When I went off to college my dad insisted that I call the Junk Dealer before I left.

So, you can understand my interest in a little British # called WheelerDealers which purports to buy superannuated super cars, dusts them off, little polish here, replacement panel there and turns a tidy profit. Like that insipid Storage Wars series it does a final tally to show you the profit. No overhead allocation for their garage/tools/ etc. and not one dime for the literally dozens of hours of a very high end mechanic. Merde.

Charming guys with English accents - the accent that is the charm apparently for reasons that escape this thoroughly colonial boy - but not a knickers full of merde kudo to your intelligence.

Do you have a nominee? Too embarrassed to admit you watch this stuff?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I have a hard time with any of the "competition" shows. Whether it's singing or amazing race or any of that stuff. I cannot stand to see people embarrass themselves.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have a hard time with any of the "competition" shows. Whether it's singing or amazing race or any of that stuff. I cannot stand to see people embarrass themselves.

Yeah, but some of them barely have anything on in those competition shows. Had they been around when I was a kid the National Geographic would have had less wear....oops, can I say stuff like that here?

Reaction Score
Yeah, but some of them barely have anything on in those competition shows. Had they been around when I was a kid the National Geographic would have had less wear....oops, can I say stuff like that here?
Yes, now I understand why National Geographic was the most popular mag. in my grade school....

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Not to hijack the subject of old National Geographics ........... We can add to the collection of all-time oxymorons such as jumbo shrimp and civil war, the most recent - reality TV.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not to hijack the subject of old National Geographics ...... We can add to the collection of all-time oxymorons such as jumbo shrimp and civil war, the most recent - reality TV.

Did you know that "Iceland Prawns" are the single biggest export of Iceland. Now, for cold water crustaceans I'm assured they are fairly big. And they get bigger in warmer water.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Did you know that "Iceland Prawns" are the single biggest export of Iceland. Now, for cold water crustaceans I'm assured they are fairly big. And they get bigger in warmer water.

If that's the case, I would not advise you to try and catch one raised over one of those volcanic vents off Iceland!!!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Yes, now I understand why National Geographic was the most popular mag. in my grade school....

I attended a Catholic grammar school. Every Friday afternoon they would show a movie in the school auditorium. If you had a dime you could watch the movie (a big deal in the early 50's). Typically it was a Christian themed movie about this or that saint. One Friday they showed a NatGeo movie about missionary work in Africa. It was probably made in the 30's and obviously the good Sisters of the Holy Ghost had not screened it. Not 5 minutes into the show there were scenes of jiggly and dangling bits all over the screen accompanied by nuns screaming "turn it off!!!" One of my few enjoyable memories of Stalag Nazareth and the wimpled Gezpatcho.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't really think WheelerDealer really qualifies as 'reality TV' in the sense of the modern usage. And I personally avoid all of the modern usage reality TV shows - I can't even stand the closing credits I see when I record a show that follows one of them! Just makes me cringe. And I just don't understand the appeal of something like DWTS - most people have no interest in watching professional ballroom dancing, so what appeals about watching non-professional ballroom dancing? But then People or Us or the swill at the checkout line in stores has never appealed either.
I have enjoyed from time to time tripping over shows like WheelerDealer (though I've never seen it specifically) and others like History Detectives or Myth Busters. And I have gone through phases of watching Top Gear which sometimes does a similar - buy a clunker and refit it on the cheap.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I attended a Catholic grammar school. Every Friday afternoon they would show a movie in the school auditorium. If you had a dime you could watch the movie (a big deal in the early 50's). Typically it was a Christian themed movie about this or that saint. One Friday they showed a NatGeo movie about missionary work in Africa. It was probably made in the 30's and obviously the good Sisters of the Holy Ghost had not screened it. Not 5 minutes into the show there were scenes of jiggly and dangling bits all over the screen accompanied by nuns screaming "turn it off!!!" One of my few enjoyable memories of Stalag Nazareth and the wimpled Gezpatcho.

Oh, God, my sides are hurting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc