OT: Quick Break. "When It R****s, It Pours!" | The Boneyard

OT: Quick Break. "When It R****s, It Pours!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Reign, rein, go away.

Rain, rein and reign are homophones. They sound alike when spoken, but they are spelled differently and have different meanings.

Rain is easy to use. It describes that wet stuff that falls from the sky. Or "Diana was raining shots from the perimeter." Seldom a problem for writers

Reign or rein? A perpetual conundrum for many writers. One online blogger's research identified usage error frequency at about 10-30%. It seems higher for sportswriters, almost all of whom describe a coaching change as a "turning over [of] the reigns."

Even here on the BY, one of our sharpest posters recently mentioned that one of a player's teammates was the "reining NPOY."

Let me try to cut the confusion.

Rein(s) represents control (in the manner a rider controls a horse) or lack thereof ("free rein").

Reign represents supreme ruling authority (king, queen or NFL commissioner) or total domination (heh heh UConn.wcbb).
Got it? OK, so when Geno retires, you can determine whether he turns over the reign or the reins to his successor.;)

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
we'll let Rayne take care of it..

dhampir.jpg

Reaction Score
It will be a cloudy and rainy day when Geno retires.
Could not agree more....When Geno's reign is over and he gives up the reins, rain will be needed. :D This to hide the tears of many. Reminds me of a song. ;)

Of course many opponents will be raining tears of joy with him no longer reigning over the reins at UConn. :)

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Ugh. I know the difference.

Blurg. Head bang

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Tonight Scott Lauber, writing for ESPN, posed this question: "Has Steven Wright taken the reigns as baseball's best knuckleballer?"

I think he meant reins but might have gotten away with reign.

Any thoughts?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99