OT: Quick Break. "Sacreligious"? NOT! | The Boneyard

OT: Quick Break. "Sacreligious"? NOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Recently one of our really astute BY posters expressed his concern that his mild criticism of a Husky might be considered to be "sacreligious." Good thought but incorrect spelling.

Strange but inexplicably true, The antonym of religious is not sacreligious, but sacrilegious. Honest! [Note the illogical reversal of the i's and e's.]

This tiny tidbit is useful only when placing a bar bet with an irreverent English teacher. ;)

All in BY fun, and more enjoyable than Margo's bathroom rants. :rolleyes:

Anyone know any other quirky spellings? (Don't everybody speak at once.)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The exceptions to the "i before e, except after c" rule, such as weird and feign.

Reaction Score
1. Edmund Spenser dedicated "Faerie Queene" to Elizabeth I, the defendour of faith.

2. Pilipino, Cabool and Tokio. Kib would be familiar with these. They were used regularly from 1920s thru the 40s.

3. A classmate of mine (from the Indian subcontinent) was fed up with my use of the word Aluminum.
Once our conversation went like this.
"Why can't you say Aluminium?"
"Like Platinium?"
"That's the only exception. Not a very good example."
"How about Lanthanum?"
"If you can come up with one more example, I will withdraw my objections to Aluminum."
"Molybdenum."

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
1. Edmund Spenser dedicated "Faerie Queene" to Elizabeth I, the defendour of faith.

2. Pilipino, Cabool and Tokio. Kib would be familiar with these. They were used regularly from 1920s thru the 40s.

3. A classmate of mine (from the Indian subcontinent) was fed up with my use of the word Aluminum.
"Like Platinium?"
"How about Lanthanum?"
"If you can come up with one more example, I will withdraw my objections to Aluminum."
"Molybdenum."
M-m-m-m. Coffee. Good.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

"Like Platinium?"
"How about Lanthanum?"
"Molybdenum."

These comments are too scientific and foreign to me. :rolleyes:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Hey, Kib! While you're acting as the spelling police, why not begin working on Tony? That should be a tuff task!!! :cool:

Grizz, I may be able to work an occasional miracle, but I am not The Lord. ;)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I believe we've just returned to sacrilegious. How did you bring this full circle, Kib?

Same way that I miraculously persuaded you to spell it correctly. ;)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The real question for this thread is being able to distinguish between "screligious" and "anathema".

Questioning Geno is sacrilege. Predicting a Uconn loss is anathema. The difference between the two? I couldn't say here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom