OT: Providence | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Providence

Reaction Score
Ray Liotta Laughing GIF

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Thx for the link re PG County. I'll look to stream it.

I appreciate what you wrote about DC's market distinction from Providence for Cooley, and his historical connection to John Thompson gives it some background. That said, my preference today would be for him to fail if it reveals that he's not all that good, or succeed if he is that good...but not before he takes some knocks for being smarmy in pursuing his ambition.

@UConnSwag11 's post that joked about Kim English landing at Georgetown if he succeeds at Providence made me chuckle. There's now established precedent.
It’s a no brainer, especially for a black coach.

You could be the biggest fish in a small pond or you could be a big fish with a bunch of other big fish, many who also look like you. With everything else that comes with it. Even when the rumors started for Cooley to GU I thought it made perfect sense for him.

That precedent was establish long before Cooley. Not only is Providence in a bad area geographically, they have us in their way of an area that already has limited talent resources. The DMV is Georgetown’s for the taking if it can ever get their ish together.

The doc is a really good one. I think it’s on showtime.

Reaction Score
I know quite a few Georgetown alums. Not one of them could give less of an F about Georgetown basketball and they were all there in some pretty good years. I just do not believe the alumni support is there to bring it back to where it
Edit: There are so many schools and coaches that have tried so hard in vain to even accomplish even getting to 1 Final Four.
Georgetown developed a bigger reputation out of 1 player than any five teams have out of 20. You are right. They had terrific teams during the Ewing era. Won a title. Then they were a good team for several years, but not dominant buy a long shot. Compare their record with Syracuse, or Gonzaga ( minus the title, of course). Or UConn. Or Duke. Or UNC. Contenders year after year. Decade after decade. Syracuse went to Final Fours in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s and 2010’s. Georgetown was a flash in the pan. Yet people talk about them as if they dominated for centuries. Yeesh!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
No I get that. But just to play devils advocate here.

What if he DID feel that way and still loved Providence. And just did what was best for he and his family.

I doubt he would take a picture with Providence players using the motto he used to build the program and excite the community to troll them.

To me, it looks like a last ditch effort as a “hey, remember what we did together?”.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I can only imagine how low class the PC fans will be tomorrow. I didn’t think they could get lower after what they did to Andrea last year but they’ll top it tomorrow.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
How anyone doesn’t see what kind of a hole move Cooley pulled on PC is simply beyond me.
Personally, I never cared about Providence growing up because Cuse, GTown, Nova, and Pitt were all much bigger rivalries. I’ve never met a Providence fan in person either.

So yeah, I don’t know much outside of whatever public facing Cooley did which does not seem as big of a deal as the fan base has been blowing it up to be. I’m genuinely confused. It just seems like Cooley went for a better opportunity which he has every right to do like any other coach.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Personally, I never cared about Providence growing up because Cuse, GTown, Nova, and Pitt were all much bigger rivalries. I’ve never met a Providence fan in person either.

So yeah, I don’t know much outside of whatever public facing Cooley did which does not seem as big of a deal as the fan base has been blowing it up to be. I’m genuinely confused. It just seems like Cooley went for a better opportunity which he has every right to do like any other coach.

Probably saw the writing on the wall with UCONN back like Willard did and wanted a better opportunity. He did max out at PC

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Probably saw the writing on the wall with UCONN back like Willard did and wanted a better opportunity. He did max out at PC
Right. The ceiling is much higher.

Let Providence fans tell it though it was just about the affair. Lol.

If they want one of their best stretches in history to be remembered like that than hey, that just says too much about their fanbase and what they deserve.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don’t see how this train of thought also goes with the train of thought that that tweet was meant to troll Providence fans.

Reaction Score
Nothing would make me happier than to see my favorite coach, Ed Cooley, waltz into Providence as an 11.5 point underdog and beat the Friars. He could then down a few quahogs and celebrate the night away at the Foxy! Go Hoyas!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I mean, Harbaugh is probably going to shoutout Michigan at the Chargers press conference after showing them every offseason he’d rather be in the NFL. He’ll probably use a lot of the same mantra’s he did at Michigan there (duh because coaches bring the cultures they instilled with them).

You won’t see Michigan fans crying about it.

Y’all are simply being ungrateful and bitter lmao.

Maybe you all just aren’t used to coaches doing well there to know what this transition looks like. It’s like a guy who talked to his first beautiful girl. They don’t know how to act now.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I'm the one taking things too seriously.

I will simplify things a bit:

1 - Has there been a past occurrence of a coach departing a school that has led to a reaction somewhat similar to how PC fans have reacted (and continue to react) to this one?

2 - What was so uniquely and excessively over the line (when compared to all other coaching departures) about this one case that warrants the fan base's reaction?

You are doing it again.

You are trying to be logical and scientific in a matter (fans of a sport) that its intended to drive emotion, passion, irrationality and thus make it extremely entertaining.

This is the beauty about sports. This is what makes it entertaining.

the Big East needs more of this irrational hatred and passion, not less.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
This isn't just "some coach leaving a school." Cooly is a Providence kid. From the city. RI Player of the Year twice at a HS in Providence. When he got signed to PC from Fairfield, it created a massive buzz around the program. The fan base rejoiced and swelled up to the biggest it had been in years, maybe bigger than it ever was. Then he won the BE regular season. Every PC fan was ready to kiss his ass and sleep with him - male or female. lol. They thought PC hoops was back and ready to shine with their hometown boy at the helm. Then it turns out his house was on the market before the season ended and he was still talking like a long-term coach. Then he bails and left them high and dry. For a program that had no promise to one that had so much to having it ripped from them. They are furious. They took this personal, and they are drunk and scummy to begin with. Should be great TV tomorrow.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yes, that should be fun to watch the game at PC. How can we get to see that? Replay on youtube?

Reaction Score
Yes, that should be fun to watch the game at PC. How can we get to see that? Replay on youtube?
The game will be on Fox tomorrow at 12:30 PM. If you can't catch that you can always type "Providence vs Georgetown" in YouTube and the YouTube channel DraftMatic should have the replay.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom