OT: Products That Can Off | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Products That Can Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have had 3 Subaru's, never had an issue with any of them. I even had a beater 3 cylinder 4x4 justy. As an experiment I wanted to see how long I could drive it without changing the oil. Went 5 years and around 100k before I lost a lower end bearing. Anyways, I was able to buy a new rebuilt engine for it for about $800, was super easy to install. I ended up selling it to some hippies for like $2,500. Well worth the money.

Reaction Score
Walmart.com

This is the 2nd time I have ordered something off Walmart.com and chose the ship to your store option for pickup. Both times the shipment took longer than expected. This past time however it took 10 days after the initial delivery date until Walmart finally admitted the item was lost. They issued me a full refund plus $100 gift card. The woman I spoke with told me this happens all the time with choosing the ship to store option. Told me to always use the ship to your home option if you want it on time.

I will most likely never buy anything from walmart again.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Walmart.com

This is the 2nd time I have ordered something off Walmart.com and chose the ship to your store option for pickup. Both times the shipment took longer than expected. This past time however it took 10 days after the initial delivery date until Walmart finally admitted the item was lost. They issued me a full refund plus $100 gift card. The woman I spoke with told me this happens all the time with choosing the ship to store option. Told me to always use the ship to your home option if you want it on time.

I will most likely never buy anything from walmart again.
Oooorrrrr keep collecting $100 gift cards?

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
After living in the south for a couple of years....

Grits - it ALL tastes like cardboard no matter what you put on it

DELTA Airlines (and ATL). Of course DELTA stands for Don't Ever Leave The Airport

Reaction Score
Bank of America is pretty average in my experience - good for lots of ATM's bad for everything else especially quality of employees in suburban branches.

I think as you get older you don't have as much trial and error with crap, some products you have to buy/pay up for name brand. i.e. almost everything but these brands are wasting your time: Bounty, Saran Wrap, Reynolds Wrap, Heinz Ketchup, Helman's Mayo, Tropicana OJ.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Bank of America is pretty average in my experience - good for lots of ATM's bad for everything else especially quality of employees in suburban branches.

I think as you get older you don't have as much trial and error with crap, some products you have to buy/pay up for name brand. i.e. almost everything but these brands are wasting your time: Bounty, Saran Wrap, Reynolds Wrap, Heinz Ketchup, Helman's Mayo, Tropicana OJ.

What's better than Hellmann's? Answer: nothing.

Heinz is the best Ketchup. Unless you are into gourmet.

Also, Bounty makes great paper towels.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

DELTA Airlines (and ATL). Of course DELTA stands for Don't Ever Leave The Airport

Used to agree with you about Delta but now I think they are miles ahead of United and American. I don't my Southwest or the discounts much but of the big 3 I'd take Delta every time.

Reaction Score
What's better than Hellmann's? Answer: nothing.

Heinz is the best Ketchup. Unless you are into gourmet.

Also, Bounty makes great paper towels.
We've gotten sucked into organic ketchup in our house (not my choice), so I've gotten used to it but still prefer Heintz & any other major brand is crap similar to the mayo situation.

Organic or fresh peanut butter is a whole different animal though, Skippy, Jiff, Peter Pan etc.. now taste totally disgusting to me after eating fresh or niche brands. Jelly is still jelly though

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Got my "water" spout today. Thanks!

image.jpeg
Good stuff. By the way, the website says the following:

ATTENTION!!!
IF YOU LIVE IN ONE OF THE FOLLOWING STATES YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED BY LAW TO PURCHASE THE GAS CAN SPOUT: CALIFORNIA, WASHINGTON D.C., DELAWARE, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, VIRGINIA. IF YOU LIVE IN ONE OF THESE STATES, YOU MAY PURCHASE THE EZ-POUR® WATER CAN SPOUT INSTEAD.

@temery Here's the hilarious work around they provide. The Fuel spout vs. the Water spout:

GasSpoutKit1.jpg
WaterSpoutKit.jpg

Reaction Score
Exactly. Unless you murder it driving like a lunatic daily. If the engine doesn't last, it's either a bum engine, or a poorly engineered model. Heck, Toyotas and Hondas from the 90s routinely lasted 300k+.

Yeah but how many people REALLY service their cars properly AND REALLY drive like adults? Headgaskets on an H4 are susceptible but you can still get a ton of mileage out of them if, 1. You don't rev the crap out of the engine before it is warm, 2. You change the damn oil when you are supposed to and use decent oil, 3. You change the coolant when you are supposed to and use good coolant and 4. You don't let your battery degrade to the point where it looks like a science experiment. There is some debate on the actual importance of #4 but all of the others are pretty damn clear. In the dead of winter, with temps below 0F, it amazes me how many of the idiots I work with will race each other at the traffic light just before the highway entrance ramp and just after the exit from our parking lot.

Now, having said all that, even with a headgasket job, most subie owners will spend FAR less on maintenance and repairs than an Audi owner by the 200Kish mile mark. Some people may get lucky. Some people are in denial that they spent that much money on that much of a money pit and will never be honest with themselves, never mind anyone else. But the data is out there to show that this is the case. I like my subies but I just bought my first Toyota. I got a used Venza with low mileage. My second choice was a Subaru Tribeca and my third was an Outback with the H6.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah but how many people REALLY service their cars properly AND REALLY drive like adults? Headgaskets on an H4 are susceptible but you can still get a ton of mileage out of them if, 1. You don't rev the crap out of the engine before it is warm, 2. You change the damn oil when you are supposed to and use decent oil, 3. You change the coolant when you are supposed to and use good coolant and 4. You don't let your battery degrade to the point where it looks like a science experiment. There is some debate on the actual importance of #4 but all of the others are pretty damn clear.

While this is true, that's then an issue with the owner, rather than a reflection on the vehicle. Battery stuff is true if you want your alternator to hold up for an extended time period. It doesn't take much for those to go, and anything that messes with them performing in optimal conditions needs to be addressed.

Now, having said all that, even with a headgasket job, most subie owners will spend FAR less on maintenance and repairs than an Audi owner by the 200Kish mile mark. Some people may get lucky. Some people are in denial that they spent that much money on that much of a money pit and will never be honest with themselves, never mind anyone else. But the data is out there to show that this is the case. I like my subies but I just bought my first Toyota. I got a used Venza with low mileage. My second choice was a Subaru Tribeca and my third was an Outback with the H6.

Subarus (I've owned 3) are definitely more reliable and less costly than Audis. But Hondas and Toyotas >>>> than Subi's in terms of reliability and cost of maintenance.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We've gotten sucked into organic ketchup in our house (not my choice), so I've gotten used to it but still prefer Heinz & any other major brand is crap similar to the mayo situation.
Organic or fresh peanut butter is a whole different animal though, Skippy, Jiff, Peter Pan etc.. now taste totally disgusting to me after eating fresh or niche brands. Jelly is still jelly though

I'm with you on the peanut butter. I was a Skippy man growing up. Last few years I went to fresh PB, and while it was a little unusual at first, I now prefer is much more without the added preservatives (sugar). All you gotta do is stir it first, a mild inconvenience at worst.

Jelly, I've found I like preserves with no added sugar, and a mix of "superfood" berries. You can get the stuff at Trader Joes and those sorts of places.

Reaction Score
While this is true, that's then an issue with the owner, rather than a reflection on the vehicle. Battery stuff is true if you want your alternator to hold up for an extended time period. It doesn't take much for those to go, and anything that messes with them performing in optimal conditions needs to be addressed.

Subarus (I've owned 3) are definitely more reliable and less costly than Audis. But Hondas and Toyotas >>>> than Subi's in terms of reliability and cost of maintenance.

Yes and no on your first point. There are some cars that will break down a lot no matter how well you care for them.

On the second part, I hope you are right as I just bought a Toyota product. I suspect, however, that the gap between Subaru and Honda/Toyota has closed recently. I know that mid-2000s Acura TLs, for example, had issues with self-destructing automatic transmissions. They had a line pressure sensor that drifted high with age. At some point, the line pressure dropped too low, due to excessive bleed off, and stuff started slipping. That, of course, cooked the fluid and rapidly wore down the friction surfaces. That would never had happened in an early 90s Honda.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

I've had much worse experience with United. As for airports, Newark has to be the worst.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Snake Oil
Rattlesnake oil is one of the richest sources of EPA, a long chain omega-3 fatty acid that is often considered to be anti-inflammatory. Good for people with arthritis.

Real snake oil is good stuff.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Rattlesnake oil is one of the richest sources of EPA, a long chain omega-3 fatty acid that is often considered to be anti-inflammatory. Good for people with arthritis.

Real snake oil is good stuff.

Yeah, but this is likely much better:

Snake Oil

"Contents usually consisted of opium, alcohol, and sweet cherry juice." people were still sick, but they no longer cared.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah, but this is likely much better:

Snake Oil

"Contents usually consisted of opium, alcohol, and sweet cherry juice." people were still sick, but they no longer cared.

You see, regulation always ruins everything good. We could still be drinking this stuff if it wasn't for the govt.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
hempseed oil is one of the few products that exceeds expectations, but, it's not approved by pet food regulators so I can't use it in my dog foods (I formulate fresh meat-based dog foods). Hempseed has a good omega-6 / -3 ratio, and other excellent fats. But the regulators (called aafco) won't let my clients use it, so instead we use a combination of sunflower (or other) and flaxseed oil. Not as good, but at least the products don't get pulled off the shelves.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
New addition ... I order two for the extension cord leading to my pond. This thing doesn't fit a heavy duty cord, which is what should be used out doors.

Anyone know of one that'll work with a heavy duty cord?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom