OT: Planning a trip | The Boneyard

OT: Planning a trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
planning a trip with a friend or two to either Greece or Sicily next year, leaning towards sicily/italy and was wondering would you guys recommend september/october or may/june for weather? We don't want to deal with the massive crowds and the heat during the summer... also any tips? thanks

Reaction Score
We went to Sicily in mid-September and it was fantastic. The food is great and the people are warm and friendly. We had only one day of rain and that was our first day. I would recommend Sept-Oct as it is so beautiful then. Have a great trip!

Reaction Score
The Greek islands are amazing. Especially Santorini, best sunset in the world. Are you looking to relax or party? There's different islands for different atmospheres.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We went to Sicily in mid-September and it was fantastic. The food is great and the people are warm and friendly. We had only one day of rain and that was our first day. I would recommend Sept-Oct as it is so beautiful then. Have a great trip!
t
thanks, recommendations for hotels and travel?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The Greek islands are amazing. Especially Santorini, best sunset in the world. Are you looking to relax or party? There's different islands for different atmospheres.
thats what ive heard, probably a little party but more to relax and see historical places and the beaches

Reaction Score
Heck there are too many places in America that you probably haven't seen. Freaking Europe is on the verge of war and Greece is completely broke , and they hate americans (just google it)

plan a vacation to somewhere is the good old USA (ever been to Wine Country California, what about Colorado, North Dakota... Lake Placid is freaking amazing)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

My favorite Mediterranean ports during the summer. Unbelievable fun times

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Sept Oct is definitely the time to go, the "shoulder season," weather is still good and crowds have thinned. The frau (an Italian) wanted to go to the Aeolian Islands for vacation this year but it was all booked for the time we planned. She went to Greece last year, mainland and Santorini, with her mom and loved it. (I spent summer there back in '84 courtesy of the USAF so opted out of that trip.)
Don't drink the beer - Peroni and Fix (Italy and Greece respectively) are infamous for making goat urine look appetizing. The wine is usually very good. You can get pretty good advice from trip advisor for places to stay. If you can book through local agencies, that much the better and cheaper.

Reaction Score
I have spent more than a year of my life in both places and love both.

My suggestions for Sicily are Taormina and Agrigento.

As for Greece, Santorini is an excellent suggestion, especially the village of Oia (spent 3 weeks in a house rental on the cliff-face there last summer), but I would not miss the island of Milos for the incredible beaches.

If you need hotel recommendations for Milos or Oia let me know. Otherwise, it's been a while since I was in Sicily and I can't remember.

Sept./Oct definitely over the spring. I swam in Taormina in November on an 80 degree day when the locals were wearing winter coats. Water was cold but warmer than, say, Provincetown.

And no, they don't hate Americans at all there. A lot of people do hate American foreign policy. There's a difference.

Personally, I would head to the Greek Islands over Sicily, unless you plan on touring the mainland (i.e. Rome, Florence, Venice).

Reaction Score
Just to throw out another option -Malta. I haven't been yet but I've only heard great things and seems to match what you're looking for.

Reaction Score
(i.e. Rome, Florence, Venice).

These are the 3 I hit in Italy, did not go south of Rome. As far as the Greeks Isles, 6 years ago Ios was the place to be for 20 year old's. In the 90's it was Mykonos, but then that became overwrought by heroin, from what I heard. Go to Ios for a few days, it is an absolute shat-show. Then you will need to relax at Santorini or one of those others. Santorini has a white, red and black sand beach. Not to mention the cliff houses and a volcano. Do your research on the islands. You can even fly into Athens first to get your dose of history. Most Europeans like Americans individually, especially the younger generations with our culture. Wherever you go, learn basic important phrases in their language prior. They'll appreciate you much more if you make an effort. Not too further compound the issue, but Barcelona was unbelievable as well, and I heard great things about Split. Both beach cities on the Mediterranean.

Reaction Score
I have been to many many places around Greece, although I have not been to the Cyclades, which includes Santorini, etc., or Crete. My recommendation would be to check out the Ionian Islands on the west side of Greece. This way you could take a ferry to/from the south of Italy and see both places.

These Ionian Islands include Corfu, Kefalonia and Zakynthos. These islands are less traveled and have some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Most notable are Myrtos beach in Kefalonia (ranked as top in Europe and one of the best in the world) and Shipwreck Beach in Zakynthos (accessible only by boat). These islands have a lot of history due to their influence as Venetian territories in the 13th to 15th centuries, also Ithaca (the island where Odysseys was King) is only a small ferry ride away from Kefalonia. They all offer great food, wine, recreation and some night life.

I have gone with friends and they were blown away. It is a once in a lifetime kind of trip that you will never forget.

Reaction Score
Freaking Europe is on the verge of war and Greece is completely broke , and they hate americans (just google it)

plan a vacation to somewhere is the good old USA (ever been to Wine Country California, what about Colorado, North Dakota... Lake Placid is freaking amazing)

First off...the Greeks are some of the warmest friendliest people in the world...and I've been to over 40 countries. Secondly, I've been to all those places your mention in the US and they don't compare to Greece or the parts of Italy I have been....really...comparing Lake Placid to Greece tells me you are the type of American that causes the hate....

As for your trip, I haven't been to that part of Italy but I've been to the Greek Islands twice. If you go in Sep/Oct, the crowds will be gone, so the party scene will not be anything like you hear about. The hassle about the Greek Islands is that you are constantly packing/ferrying/unpacking....on my last trip we did a cruise that stopped at 4 ports and I found this MUCH easier...your hotel goes with you...but you don't experience the nightlife on the island. If you want more info on this option ping me..

Reaction Score
As for your trip, I haven't been to that part of Italy but I've been to the Greek Islands twice. If you go in Sep/Oct, the crowds will be gone, so the party scene will not be anything like you hear about. The hassle about the Greek Islands is that you are constantly packing/ferrying/unpacking....on my last trip we did a cruise that stopped at 4 ports and I found this MUCH easier...your hotel goes with you...but you don't experience the nightlife on the island. If you want more info on this option ping me..

I agree about the islands. I would not do more than two. No way.

I have been to that island chain over 10+ in my life.

I used to go to Mykonos and Paros mostly, until some people mentioned Milos.

Milos is the best island in that chain outside Santorini. Spectacular beaches and geologic formations that are unlike anything I've ever seen.

If the OP wants to have a look at Milos and Santorini, I have some flickr pictures up from last summer.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Spent 10 days of my honeymoon on the Amalfi Coast (stayed in Sorrento, Capri/Annacapri, and Positano and took day trips to other towns), then 4 days in Rome in Late September Early October 2009. It was fantastic. It was after their busy tourist season and it is not supposed to be as hot, but we ran into Indian summer.

Reaction Score
planning a trip with a friend or two to either Greece or Sicily next year, leaning towards sicily/italy and was wondering would you guys recommend september/october or may/june for weather? We don't want to deal with the massive crowds and the heat during the summer... also any tips? thanks

Can not go wrong with each.. wife and I have traveled to both

Reaction Score
I agree about the islands. I would not do more than two. No way.

I have been to that island chain over 10+ in my life.

I know why you say that, but if you are not going to be able to return as often as you go, folks might want to experience more of the islands than just 2.

My first trip I did 3. The cruise really is a great option...plus it leaves from Venice

Reaction Score
I know why you say that, but if you are not going to be able to return as often as you go, folks might want to experience more of the islands than just 2.

My first trip I did 3. The cruise really is a great option...plus it leaves from Venice

Well, you know how Santorini is with cruises.

Every morning I woke up to this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/41920297@N06/9421735855/

The cruises meanwhile were herding people through tight streets. There is so much going on these islands. 2 weeks was not enough to do and see everything on Santorini. I imagine the cruises give you, what, a day or two at most?

Reaction Score
Cruise is like a chinese pu pu platter. You get a taste at best. But if you are a new travel er or older they are great. Most of the time you are only in port for 8 to 12 hours ...

Reaction Score
Well, you know how Santorini is with cruises.

Every morning I woke up to this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/41920297@N06/9421735855/

The cruises meanwhile were herding people through tight streets. There is so much going on these islands. 2 weeks was not enough to do and see everything on Santorini. I imagine the cruises give you, what, a day or two at most?

Well, that is nowhere near as beautiful as Lake Placid. smh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr