Ot pilot vs highlander | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ot pilot vs highlander

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They hold their value more than almost every other SUV in their price range too, FWIW.

Yes. It's almost insane. The Lexus GX is another with similar resale. One of those two will probably be my next car, unless the new Bronco is awesome (and it could be).

Reaction Score
I have to go +1 for the GMC Acadia. We have a 2014 with 2nd row captains chairs and 2 front facing car seats and it's perfect. The captains chairs also allow for easy passage to the 3rd row when in use. The cargo area is incredibly spacious. Road trips with the kids AND the dogs have become so much easier. It will allow you to lay down a 4' x 7' piece of ply wood (or sheetrock) when both 2nd and 3rd row seats are folded down so you get some of the functionality of a pickup truck.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ford Explorer...solid lease...on 3rd one...w/ 3 kids....everything you need.

I am also on my third Explorer (2016 Sport) and have been very happy with each. Liked the 2014 Sport the best so far; I think it drove sportier and had tighter suspension than the 2016. I agree it has everything you need but I don't know if you'll get a couple hundred thousand miles out of those engines like you can expect to get out of a Japanese or German engine. My Explorers have been work cars and I get a "new" (i.e., lightly used) one every few years so I am not worried about engine life. But we tend to drive the cars we own into the ground, so that's why I've generally stuck to Japanese or German cars for our own purchases.

Yes. It's almost insane. The Lexus GX is another with similar resale. One of those two will probably be my next car, unless the new Bronco is awesome (and it could be).

I've also got my eye on that new Bronco. Very interested to see what that looks like.

I have to go +1 for the GMC Acadia. We have a 2014 with 2nd row captains chairs and 2 front facing car seats and it's perfect. The captains chairs also allow for easy passage to the 3rd row when in use. The cargo area is incredibly spacious. Road trips with the kids AND the dogs have become so much easier. It will allow you to lay down a 4' x 7' piece of ply wood (or sheetrock) when both 2nd and 3rd row seats are folded down so you get some of the functionality of a pickup truck.

IIRC that's the same chassis as the Chevy Traverse, and I really like what I've seen of the new body style. I believe the new ones are now getting better reviews than the Explorers so I would look at them, too. With the same concern about engine life that I have about the Fords too, though.

Reaction Score
Funny you say that, because I always said my next car would be a black X5, but I’m going to hold off and see how the Bronco is first because it seems like it could be awesome and would be much less expensive.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Funny you say that, because I always said my next car would be a black X5, but I’m going to hold off and see how the Bronco is first because it seems like it could be awesome and would be much less expensive.

So far it looks like it will be four door (maybe two), not body on frame, but more robust offroad than an Explorer (more like a Grand Cherokee or modern Range Rover I assume) and will have a removable roof panel and rear window that goes down like a 4Runner. I think the goal is to provide something to compete with the Wrangler Unlimited from a lifestyle perspective (maybe not as good offroad), but which is better to drive on-road. I'm curious what engines it may have.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I am also on my third Explorer (2016 Sport) and have been very happy with each. Liked the 2014 Sport the best so far; I think it drove sportier and had tighter suspension than the 2016. I agree it has everything you need but I don't know if you'll get a couple hundred thousand miles out of those engines like you can expect to get out of a Japanese or German engine. My Explorers have been work cars and I get a "new" (i.e., lightly used) one every few years so I am not worried about engine life. But we tend to drive the cars we own into the ground, so that's why I've generally stuck to Japanese or German cars for our own purchases.

I've also got my eye on that new Bronco. Very interested to see what that looks like.

IIRC that's the same chassis as the Chevy Traverse, and I really like what I've seen of the new body style. I believe the new ones are now getting better reviews than the Explorers so I would look at them, too. With the same concern about engine life that I have about the Fords too, though.

Huge warning on Traverse and Acadia. Starting in 2017 the Acadia shrunk about 5-6 inches while the Traverse got bigger.

I can absolutely say our 2016 Acadia is as roomy as the 2011 GMC Yukon we traded in for the Acadia. It's much bigger than a Pilot or Highlander though. My wife just drove the Acadia about 650 miles with two teenagers and two miniature "dogs". The second row captains chairs which slide fore/aft and the fold flat split folding third row are awesome. As a f-ed up welcome to the 2010's, we have in-car wifi for $20/month. Wife and kids are so happy they volunteer to pay for the extra charges.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I just looked up the Bronco concept. Those look awesome. Not a soccer mom mobile! Reminds me of the Canyonero.

Yeah. I just worry about the timing. I'm slated to hand my Mazda CX-5 over to my daughter when she gets her license, hopefully spring of 2019. The 202o model Bronco may or may not be out yet. I'll be cutting it close. An updated 4Runner is another thing I'm hoping for by then.

Reaction Score

Way to early to tell - lots of rumors about it being a rebadged Everest to something similar to the concept renderings - for has shown an ability to think beyond the expected (ie GT40) so there’s hope.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom