OT: Philly for a weekend | The Boneyard

OT: Philly for a weekend

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Taking a weekend trip with the girlfriend to Philly. Jokes aside, what's there to do?

We'll be eating cheese steaks and drinking at breweries. What else? Liberty bell worth a visit?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Taking a weekend trip with the girlfriend to Philly. Jokes aside, what's there to do?
We'll be eating cheese steaks and drinking at breweries. What else? Liberty bell worth a visit?

If you like art at all, the Barnes Collection is a must. The LB is WYSIWYG. I think it's worth it if the line isn't too long.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
There are amazing restaurants in Philadelphia. Don't waste a meal on a cheesesteak. But if you feel like you must eat one, at least go to Tony Luke's at Front and Oregon, or John's Roast Pork on Snyder Avenue. And please, only order 1 cheesesteak and then order either a chicken cutlet with broccoli rabe or a roast port sandwich. Those 2 sandwiches are the real Philadelphia sandwiches. And DO NOT ever go to either Pat's or Genos - you might as well eat spam instead.

As for what to do - stay near Rittenhouse Square and sit outside and drink wine all day. Then just wander Center City / Society Hill / Olde City. If you're really a hipster head up to Fishtown. If you like art do the Barnes and the Philadelphia Museum of Art. But again, Philly has a plethora of great restaurants and many are BYOB so bring a bottle or two of wine with you.

Oh - and have brunch at the Morning Glory Diner at 10th & Fitzwater. It's small. There will be a line of tattooed and pierced hipsters, but its really great.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Center city is awesome and Penn’s Landing is nice if the weather is nice

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
Roast Pork Special with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone, from Tony Luke’s. John’s or DiNic’s.

Taylor Ham and egg sandwich.

I forgot about DiNic's in the Reading Terminal. Go to the Reading Terminal. And for great Roast Port Noodle Soup go to San Kee in Chinatown - I think San Kee is on 10th and Arch.

Reaction Score
Roast Pork Special with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone, from Tony Luke’s. John’s or DiNic’s.

Taylor Ham and egg sandwich.

You forgot the long hots...

A70AFEF5-8F1F-4BDE-9D3D-303946D926B0.jpeg

Went down beginning of March for the Philadelphia Flower Show. Trade-off was I got to get Tommy DiNic’s for lunch and a stroll through all the food stalls in Reading Terminal.

@UChusky916 if the weather is decent and you’ve never been - a walk through the few blocks of Italian Market (S 9th btwn South Stv and Washington Ave) on Saturday/Sunday morning is fun if into that kind of thing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Go for a walk along the schuylkill if it is a nice day. Maybe it is just me, but the river brings back fond memories of the Stotesbury rowing regatta I used to compete in back in highschool.

Also, the best Philly cheese steaks aren't in Philadelphia and the "real" ones are quite gross and artificial and other places outside of Philly (and around the country and even world) have greatly improved on the sandwich so I tend to agree with what someone else said above, give the philly cheese steak in Philadelphia a hard pass, super over rated. I mean, unless artificial type stuff like that is your thing.

I would say the bell is not interesting to visit.

Having lived in Washington DC for 3 years with so many free known (and unknown) museums and galleries I did not go to many museums in Philly, except for a few in the link below. Well, I went to the Mutter museum which I can recommend but otherwise stuck to art galleries. Yah, I missed some good museums, I know, but I was living in DC at the time.

Last, some of this information is subject to change, but my gf at the time and I used a website similar to the one below (could not find the actual one we used but it had even more) as a guide to visit some of the museums when they are free of charge which could be of use and planned our time around that. We did not have time to do some of the more random stuff like the shoe museum, fireman hall, SEPTA transit, fabric, carpenter or Polish heritage site or some of the old house walkthroughs but most everything else was great.

20 Philly Museums You Can Go to for Free

Last edited:

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
We did the Hop on Hop Off bus. We do them just about everywhere we go. We had the obligatory pics with Rocky's statue. Also did a walking ghost tour at night which was fun.

Reaction Score
Spent a ton of time in Philly.

1) I can't reinforce the roast pork, sharp provolone, broccoli rabe and long hots from Tommy DiNic's enough. So far and away a better sandwich and more famous now than a cheesesteak.

2) If you HAVE to get a cheesesteak to check it off the list, please please please don't go to Pats or Genos. They're awful. Try Jim's Steaks a couple blocks over.

3) It's an easy walking city. Touristy things like the LOVE sculpture, Liberty Bell and Rocky steps are easy to get to and quick fun. The Zoo is a little farther out but a good one if that's your thing.

4) Spots I have been to repeatedly over time? The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Company - A sorta hidden speakeasy that will transport you back to prohibition, El Vez - an upscale Mexican spot with great margaritas, The Continental - Cool spot, good drinks, great food.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
2) If you HAVE to get a cheesesteak to check it off the list, please please please don't go to Pats or Genos. They're awful. Try Jim's Steaks a couple blocks over.

Agreed.

Except at 3 AM when Hammered Drunk after the bars there is a certain charm and alchemy to a Pats steak whiz with and an order of Cheese Fries. A perfect Drunk food. Way better than the universal Slice of greasy Pizza everyone holds up as the Drunk food of choice.

I wouldnt do Pats during the Day or for a meal.

Jims way better for that.

But Ive had some great times at Pats after gigs and nights out where it was absolutely perfect for the moment.

Geno's can completely to hell. Pro move is to get an arm full of Pat's and then stand in front of Geno's and mock them while eating it.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I also suggest DiNics.

There is a cool neighborhood in the area of Reading Terminal (I think 13th street) that has some good restaurants and bars. Sam Pan is a good Asian Fusion place I ate at a few years back and really liked.

If you don't want to wait in line for the liberty bell, you can get a pretty good view of it from the window outside of the room its housed in. It's a piece of metal with a crack in it, nothing too special IMO.

If youre going to a Phillies game, the Comcast / Xfinity center thing by the sports stadiums is a fun place to grab a beer before the game.

Reaction Score
Agreed.

Except at 3 AM when Hammered Drunk after the bars there is a certain charm and alchemy to a Pats steak whiz with and an order of Cheese Fries. A perfect Drunk food. Way better than the universal Slice of greasy Pizza everyone holds up as the Drunk food of choice.

I wouldnt do Pats during the Day or for a meal.

Jims way better for that.

But Ive had some great times at Pats after gigs and nights out where it was absolutely perfect for the moment.

Geno's can completely to hell. Pro move is to get an arm full of Pat's and then stand in front of Geno's and mock them while eating it.

I guess? But you also love Arby's so that takes a little cred away from you.

August_West

Reaction Score
I guess? But you also love Arby's so that takes a little cred away from you.

Nope. Im just ahead of the curve and open to judging good food for the appropriate moment in a blind, non-judgemental way.

There is no better food deal in the country (on a wide availability basis) than Arby's 2 for 6 Gyros.

Reaction Score
Was there 3 years ago (first time in decades) for a weekend:

Phillies were near last place (2 tix for $30). Didn't know one player but hell it was pro baseball. They are at home this weekend.
Reading Terminal Market (blew my wife's mind)
Some nice parks including waterside to sit and chill
Some real good jazz/music clubs
Restaurants abound (great food, and every type is there)

I'm a New Yorker and sight seeing isn't my forte', meaning I sadly take it for granted unless its a monument, muesum or something like that. I just love wingin it (see what's happening and go) and slummin in cities enjoying the vibes.

Anyway, Philly ain't boring! You'll have fun.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
As a Pittsburgher, I despise everything Philly but the Brisket sandwich from DiNic’s is absolutely delicious. Also on board with those suggesting Tony Luke’s for a cheesesteak. Stay far away from Pat’s/Geno’s...total trash.

Reaction Score
Great walking city but don't rule out taking a ride on one of the bike share (indego) bikes. East-West bike lanes on Spruce (Westbound) and Pine (eastbound). If you're around the Art Museum there is a station there and you can get on the path by the Schuylkill before the waterworks and then ride past the boathouses and up the river for for some nice scenery and sculptures etc.

On Pat's and Geno's, you don't need to eat there but if you've never seen them it might be worth going just for the scene. Two places with scads of neon right across the street from one another, each with a long line. Walk down 9th through the Itialian market to get there. For food, along the way try a bite at at South Philly Barbacoa South Philly Barbacoa Has a New Home in the Italian Market . James Beard finalist and Bon Appetit 6th best new restaurant in America 2016

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Thanks all for the great feedback

Reaction Score
For nightlife check out Fishtown/Northern Liberties just north of Old City. Corner of Frankford & Girard is a fun spot with Joe's Steaks, Garage, Johnny Brenda's, and my favorite bar Frankford Hall. The Piazza is also over in that area which can be fun if an event is going on.

For lunch - DeNic's is great as everyone's mentioned. Campos, Rick's, and Joe's are good places to grab a cheesesteak as well.

Dinner - check out one of the Steven Starr restaurants in Center City. My personal favorite is Talula's Garden. Home - STARR

If you like beer - Monk's is a must. They have a tap list like nothing you will ever see including numerous Belgian beers exclusive in North America only to their bar as well as a number of Russian River beers (almost always have Pliny the Elder/Younger on)

August_West

Reaction Score
I went to Dairy Queen a while ago; you know, Dairy Queen? Well anyways there was an insane number of people there, and I couldn't get in. Then, I looked at the banner hanging from the ceiling, and it had "Free ice cream" written on it. Oh, the stupidity. Those idiots. You, don't come to Dairy Queen just because there is free ice cream, fool. It's only free ice cream, FREE ICE CREAM for crying out loud. There're even entire families here. Family of 4, all out for some Dairy Queen, huh? How freakin' nice. "Alright, daddy's gonna order the sundae." God I can't bear to watch. You people, I'll give you free ice cream if you get out of those seats. Dairy Queen should be a bloody place. That tense atmosphere, where two guys on opposite sides of the U-shaped table can start a fight at any time, the stab-or-be-stabbed mentality, that's what's great about this place. Women and children should screw off and stay home. Anyways, I was about to start eating, and then the bastard beside me goes "Cone, extra fudge." Who in the world orders extra fudge nowadays, you moron? I want to ask him, "do you REALLY want to eat it with extra fudge?" I want to interrogate him. I want to interrogate him for roughly an hour. Are you sure you don't just want to try saying "extra fudge"? Coming from a Dairy Queen veteran such as myself, the latest trend among us vets is this, blizzard with extra Kit-Kat. That's right, extra Kit-Kat. This is the vet's way of eating. Extra Kit-Kat means more Kit-Kat than ice cream. But on the other hand the price is a tad higher. This is the key. And then, it's delicious. This is unbeatable. However, if you order this then there is danger that you'll be marked by the employees from next time on; it's a double-edged sword. I can't recommend it to amateurs. What this all really means, though, is that you should just stick with the banana split.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom