OT : "Philly" Cheesesteak | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT : "Philly" Cheesesteak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Shorty's in NYC is legit.

And just like in Philly, their Roast Pork Special is even better.

Good beer selection, too.

I have hit their food truck a few times in the Seaport, it's good.

Reaction Score
Went to a conference in Philly once and a few of us trudged down and did the double - 1 from Pat' s & 1 from Geno' s back-to-back. Good experience in a bucket list type of way. By the way, the neighborhood that they are in is a lot nicer now than it was back in the '90's when I stopped by on a road trip. Also, can't remember the name; but, I went to a cheese steak place in Philly over by the Navy Yard just off the highway that I think was better than both Pat & Geno' s a few years back driving through.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Most hole in the wall pizza places around here (Eastern PA) make respectable cheese steaks, it's nearly impossible to get great pizza. I agree it's the bread. Amaroso's is ubiquitous... or a very close approximation. Roast pork is basically non-existent outside of Philly though. The worst thing on earth though is that bastardization they call a "chicken cheese steak" it's vile.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You used deli slicer and hero in the same reply. Well played!
I didn't catch that and if I did he obviously would have won the "post/handle " of the day award

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yellow mustard. Gotta have yellow mustard on a cheesesteak.

Oh, and Jim's is better than Pat's or Geno's in my humble opinion.

It's weird...you can get good wings outside of Buffalo. Not sure why you can't get a good cheesesteak once you venture more than 60 or so miles outside of Philly.
Jim's is a good steak and definitely a better eating experience. I used to like to go upstairs and watch people go in and out of "Zipperhead's" while I ate.

That said, the mustard comment is blasphemy.

August_West

Reaction Score
Jim's is a good steak and definitely a better eating experience. I used to like to go upstairs and watch people go in and out of "Zipperhead's" while I ate.

LOL Zipperheads.

You ever go around the corner on South Second St to Walts King of Crabs?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I went to Geno's before the Temple game and was hugely disappointed...okay, but nothing to write home about

Reaction Score
I went to Geno's before the Temple game and was hugely disappointed...okay, but nothing to write home about

I used to go to Philadelphia once a month for business for about a 18 month stretch. I went to 8 of the top rated spots (via internet ranks or word of mouth) and Geno's was the worst of all of them. I have a "blog" with all the reviews somewhere. I'll try to dig it out. You're basically paying to get yelled at by an old lady behind the Geno's counter so you can run home to tell everyone about your real Philly experience.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
You should never buy a cheesesteak anywhere unless you're at the original Tony Luke's on Oregon Avenue.

And both the roast pork and chicken cutlet are more Philly than a cheesesteak.

Reaction Score

Zipperheads, haha! That was a fun street for a college student.

You sound like one of those Louis' Lunch nazis with the mustard comment, though. ;-)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

You sound like one of those Louis' Lunch nazis with the mustard comment, though. ;-)
Some things in life are unnatural and wrong. Mustard on a cheese steak is one of those things.;)

August_West

Reaction Score

I want to film 8893 trying to sneak a ketchup bottle into Louis Lunch.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I want to film 8893 trying to sneak a ketchup bottle into Louis Lunch.
I used to go there exactly once year, on the Sunday in between the NFL Conference Championships and the Super Bowl, during the BAR Real Ale Festival across the street, which I attended for fourteen years straight, but I stopped going in 2015 once I couldn't get the VIP tickets, and I haven't been to Louis since. But for the ketchup ban, I would be there much more frequently.

Reaction Score
I agree with the OP that the basic ingredients (Steak, roll, cheese whiz) are I believe a "Philly style" cheesesteak. The version he and others reference here as not a cheesesteak with onions, green peppers and or mushrooms in them should probably be called a New England Cheesesteak. For some reason whenever I see them up here or in MA in a restaurant they always have the peppers and onions.
Cheese Whiz is absolutely disgusting stuff that should probably be outlawed. I don't know what it is, but it isn't food. I happen to like my cheesesteaks with real cheese. Either provy or white cheddar. And despite the lack of authenticity I happen to like them with the peppers, onions and mushrooms. Especially baby bellas! I'm not from Philly anyway, why should I care if they are authentic?

Reaction Score
I agree with the OP that the basic ingredients (Steak, roll, cheese whiz) are I believe a "Philly style" cheesesteak. The version he and others reference here as not a cheesesteak with onions, green peppers and or mushrooms in them should probably be called a New England Cheesesteak. For some reason whenever I see them up here or in MA in a restaurant they always have the peppers and onions.
Cheese Whiz is absolutely disgusting stuff that should probably be outlawed. I don't know what it is, but it isn't food. I happen to like my cheesesteaks with real cheese. Either provy or white cheddar. And despite the lack of authenticity I happen to like them with the peppers, onions and mushrooms. Especially baby bellas! I'm not from Philly anyway, why should I care if they are authentic?

Philly style would have onions too since a "Whiz Wit" is with Cheez Whiz and onions and that's a true Philly order.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They should just be called simply: steak sandwich.

IMO, a steak sandwich should include (along with copious amounts of real steak) cheese - preferably provolone and/or mozzarella - sautéed onions, and mushrooms on a toasted roll*. This is how we make them, tailgating before football games and they are tremendous**, especially preceding a Temple or 'Nova game. Cheez Whiz isn't a consideration. In fact the original 1930s Philly was made with Provolone. Cheez Whiz didn't even come on the market until the 1950s. A correlation can be absolutely be made between the Philly Cheesesteak with Cheez Whiz to a good steak sandwiches similar to what Greek (or Chicago style) pizza is to thin crust. People may enjoy the former, but it will never be as good as the latter.

*Best case, the roll/bread for any sandwich should be toasted.
** If anyone happens to not consider them "Philly," so be it. You don't have to have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom