OT : "Philly" Cheesesteak | The Boneyard

OT : "Philly" Cheesesteak

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This is slightly relevant since we are at Temple in a couple days.

I just got back from searching for a good sandwich for lunch in the shoreline area.
Is anyone else tired of going to New England Pizza and sandwich shops (and other parts of the country shops) seeing "Philly Cheesesteak "on the menu and then realizing that the person making the sandwich has no F'in idea what makes a "Philly Cheesesteak"?

You don't get Green Peppers on a gdam cheesesteak.

even worse. Lettuce? Tomato? Mayo???!!!! go die in a fire.

Here are your acceptable options for a Cheesesteak:

Cheese options:
Cheeze Whiz (the preferred choice of actual Alpha Males)
Provolone (acceptable, but you are most likely a Beta)
American (C'mon. Really? I put in on because it is a Philly option but if you choose it over the other two you shouldn't be ordering a cheesesteak anyway)

Toppings
Onions (sauteeed, fried, grilled, whatever)
Mushroom (if you must, but why?)
hot or sweet peppers ( hot peppers are manly on everything so you get a pass, but again, not really needed)

I will even grant that the Devils condiment "ketchup" is allowed. But I question your sanity.

However........
That's IT!!!!

Anyone who has ever put a green pepper or lettuce or tomato or god forbid, mayo on something labeled a "philly cheesesteak" please reply so I can add you to my ignore list.

If you prefer to eat it that way. Call it a Loose meat grinder. Even a Steak Submarine. Whatever. Call it a Philly cheesesteak and we have issues.

Im pissed. 3 places around essex had them on their menus today. The were all clueless.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm definitely a wit out kinda guy.

I prefer the cheese whiz on a cheesesteak.

Onions are disgusting in any way, shape or form but some sautéed sweet peppers are perfectly fine.

So, I don't know if that makes me a Pat's or Geno's guy. And I guess I prefer the ribeye chopped.

Reaction Score
If you want a legit "Philly" in CT check out "Philly's" in Norwich. They won a Travel Channel award in 2012 and have consistently high yelp/TA reviews. On par with any of the originals in Philly

http://phillysct.com/

August_West

Reaction Score
If you want a legit "Philly" in CT check out "Philly's" in Norwich. They won a Travel Channel award in 2012 and have consistently high yelp/TA reviews. On par with any of the originals in Philly

http://phillysct.com/

hmm interesting. Wasnt aware of that place. Just by looking at the picture they obviously "get it". There may be hope. Norwich is a bit far for me to hit on my lunch hour though.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Your arbitrary rules aside, Cheeze Whiz should be outlawed. If not completely, at least the consumption of it by anyone over about 10. It is specifically formulated to appeal to the taste buds of whiny little kids.

It is not cheese. It may in fact contain whiz, but whose?

I would take American over Whiz any day of the week, on ANYTHING But I'd take provolone or jack over American on a cheese steak sandwich.

But this brings me to the point of the irony of you, of all people, insisting that one MUST follow certain rules, and not break tradition as regards meals. You, who refuses the delectable, traditional bird on Thanksgiving, feel qualified to tell the world not to break with tradition as regards a sandwich?

August_West

Reaction Score
Your arbitrary rules aside, Cheeze Whiz should be outlawed. If not completely, at least the consumption of it by anyone over about 10. It is specifically formulated to appeal to the taste buds of whiny little kids.

It is not cheese. It may in fact contain whiz, but whose?

I would take American over Whiz any day of the week, on ANYTHING But I'd take provolone or jack over American on a cheese steak sandwich.

But this brings me to the point of the irony of you, of all people, insisting that one MUST follow certain rules, and not break tradition as regards meals. You, who refuses the delectable, traditional bird on Thanksgiving, feel qualified to tell the world not to break with tradition as regards a sandwich?

Its a crazy world aint it?

The Whiz serves many functions on a Cheesesteak. It provides a sharpness to contrast the velvet texture of the meat, and more important applies a saltiness that absolutely makes the sandwich.

and it does the same for the Fries on the side that our buried under it.

Edit to refute your Turkey point. How would you feel if you went to sandwich shop order a "Thanksgiving sandwich" that you know to be Turkey and Cranberry and dressing and Mayo. But instead received Turkey and mustard and cheese whiz? You would feel kinda cheated, no?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know about a lot of you, mayo is a must for me. I will give you everything else, but I need my mayo.

Reaction Score
much like the Eagles and Flyers, and most every other professional and college team in the greater Philadelphia area, the cheesesteaks, in my humble opinion, are vastly overrated...as a Northeastern PA resident, I would take a "coal region" cheesesteak over any style offered by the city of brotherly love.

on a side note to anyone attending the game at Temple, do yourself a favor, and do not drink the Philly tap water...not sure that anyone down there would, if they saw what has historically emptied into the Schuylkill upstate

Reaction Score

I just got back from searching for a good sandwich for lunch in the shoreline area.
Is anyone else tired of going to New England Pizza and sandwich shops (and other parts of the country shops) seeing "Philly Cheesesteak "on the menu and then realizing that the person making the sandwich has no F'in idea what makes a "Philly Cheesesteak"?

Toppings
hot or sweet peppers ( hot peppers are manly on everything so you get a pass, but again, not really needed)

I will even grant that the Devils condiment "ketchup" is allowed. But I question your sanity.
Yellow mustard. Gotta have yellow mustard on a cheesesteak.

Oh, and Jim's is better than Pat's or Geno's in my humble opinion.

It's weird...you can get good wings outside of Buffalo. Not sure why you can't get a good cheesesteak once you venture more than 60 or so miles outside of Philly.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's weird...you can get good wings outside of Buffalo. Not sure why you can't get a good cheesesteak once you venture more than 60 or so miles outside of Philly.
Shorty's in NYC is legit.

And just like in Philly, their Roast Pork Special is even better.

Good beer selection, too.

Reaction Score
Shorty's in NYC is legit.

And just like in Philly, their Roast Pork Special is even better.

Good beer selection, too.
Haven't been there, but I'll take your word for it.

I'll take beef over pork any day, any meal, any preparation. Except bacon, and even then I'd rather have a ribeye.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm definitely a wit out kinda guy.

I prefer the cheese whiz on a cheesesteak.

Onions are disgusting in any way, shape or form but some sautéed sweet peppers are perfectly fine.

So, I don't know if that makes me a Pat's or Geno's guy. And I guess I prefer the ribeye chopped.

Meat, cheese, bread. Anything else except maybe salt and pepper is a negative. Agree on onions, and don't like peppers much better.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The roasted pork is better than cheesesteak is so cliché-ish that it's almost predictable.

Much like the Player X is underrated. So many people say that Player X is underrated that he almost becomes overrated. For those of us with a few (but not too many ) years on us, Maurice Cheeks on the 76'ers was the classic example.

I was almost going to throw down the roast pork is better than cheese steak line but I wanted to see how long the thread would go before it was put out there.

Reaction Score
Totally agreed on the bastardization of the cheesesteak outside of Philadelphia. Lettuce? Oy vey. Also totally agreed also on Jim's Steaks. It's only a few blocks from the overhyped Geno's and Pat's. The steaks are better....and they're the only shop that also serves beer.

The roast pork from Dinic's has pushed the cheesesteak out of the picture though. It's the perfect sandwich and won "Best Sandwich in America" on the Travel Channel recently. The last few years that I've been to Philly, I haven't even blinked at a cheesesteak, rushing right past them to Dinic's instead. Roast pork, extra sharp provolone, garlicky broccoli rabe and fried long hots. Amazing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The roasted pork is better than cheesesteak is so cliché-ish that it's almost predictable.
Perhaps among those in the know, but every time this conversation comes up around me the vast majority have never even heard of the Roast Pork. Everyone has heard of the Philly Cheesesteak.

Just this past Saturday night I had dinner with a guy who grew up in Philly. He had never heard of the Roast Pork.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Totally agreed on the bastardization of the cheesesteak outside of Philadelphia. Lettuce? Oy vey. Also totally agreed also on Jim's Steaks. It's only a few blocks from the overhyped Geno's and Pat's. The steaks are better....and they're the only shop that also serves beer.

The roast pork from Dinic's has pushed the cheesesteak out of the picture though. It's the perfect sandwich and won "Best Sandwich in America" on the Travel Channel recently. The last few years that I've been to Philly, I haven't even blinked at a cheesesteak, rushing right past them to Dinic's instead. Roast pork, extra sharp provolone, garlicky broccoli rabe and fried long hots. Amazing.

I saw those episodes and was about ready to drive 14 hours to Philly just to get the roasted pork sandwich.

But I don't feel cheated when I get a good Philly Cheesesteak. As several have noted, the bread is key. It has to be hearty enough to withstand the grease and juice from the beef and cheese.

Reaction Score
Just this past Saturday night I had dinner with a guy who grew up in Philly. He had never heard of the Roast Pork.[/QUOTE]

this cat must have been polluted by the city's tap water and under quarantine, if he grew up in Philly and never heard of the Roast Pork

Curiouser
Reaction Score
this cat must have been polluted by the city's tap water and under quarantine, if he grew up in Philly and never heard of the Roast Pork

I think the fact that he's Jewish and grew up in what sounds like it may have been an Orthodox (or close) household had a lot to do with it. But still, you have a point. He's clearly got no issues eating any kind of meat anymore based on what I've seen, and he should have discovered it by now in any event. Hell I've barely spent any time there and I know about it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

You don't get Green Peppers on a gdam cheesesteak.

even worse. Lettuce? Tomato? Mayo???!!!! go die in a fire.

Here are your acceptable options for a Cheesesteak:

Cheese options:
Cheeze Whiz (the preferred choice of actual Alpha Males)
Provolone (acceptable, but you are most likely a Beta)
American (C'mon. Really? I put in on because it is a Philly option but if you choose it over the other two you shouldn't be ordering a cheesesteak anyway)

Toppings

However...
That's IT!!!!

Anyone who has ever put a green pepper or lettuce or tomato or god forbid, mayo on something labeled a "philly cheesesteak" please reply so I can add you to my ignore list.

If you prefer to eat it that way. Call it a Loose meat grinder. Even a Steak Submarine. Whatever. Call it a Philly cheesesteak and we have issues.

Im pissed. 3 places around essex had them on their menus today. The were all clueless.

Eh, the whole family is from Philly, and plenty of them get grilled green peppers and onions on their cheesesteaks.

And according to them, Pat and Geno's are the most famous, but not the best.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Try one with BBQ sauce. It will change your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom