OT: Pac-12 basketball attendance numbers are bad. | The Boneyard

OT: Pac-12 basketball attendance numbers are bad.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

Also, note it is $77,000 for Arizona season tickets in some parts of their lower bowl.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Eventually someone will realize that aside from USC football, nobody in California gives a rat's behind about college sports. Arizona basketball does well. Oregon, Utah, Colorado and Washington do ok in football.

Reaction Score
Wow. Thanks for posting. USC 3860 Stanford 2360 average fans AND this is ticket sales rather than actually showing up at the gate!! Oregon State with 500 fans for some games !!! I feel a bit better competing for a guy like Miranda even though that particular ship may have sailed. Play on a stage where you are worshiped, or, play where you are ignored or an afterthought. I was assuming state covid scare policies might be influencing the numbers, but evidently they are in line with pre-covid. These numbers are like playing for just friends and family. Wow again.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
The only quibble I have with this is 2021-2022 still probably had the affects of covid to deal with as far as attendance is concerned. There were a couple mentions of 2019-2020 in the article but I don’t think you can completely ignore covid as having an impact - especially for institutions where basketball is clearly second-tier a lot of people probably choose not to do indoor events in the winter last year.

Reaction Score
Wow. Thanks for posting. USC 3860 Stanford 2360 average fans AND this is ticket sales rather than actually showing up at the gate!! Oregon State with 500 fans for some games !!! I feel a bit better competing for a guy like Miranda even though that particular ship may have sailed. Play on a stage where you are worshiped, or, play where you are ignored or an afterthought. I was assuming state covid scare policies might be influencing the numbers, but evidently they are in line with pre-covid. These numbers are like playing for just friends and family. Wow again.
Worshiped?

Have you read this board's evaluation of players?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Remember - the PAC-12 and the areas that the schools are in were hit hardest by state sanctions and restrictions for Covid going well into the 2021-2022 season This isn't a huge surprise

Reaction Score
I do agree COVID was an issue last year, but the attendance decline trend has been in place:

Average Pac 12 Basketball Attendance per game:

2016/2017: 8,170
2017/2018: 7,747
2018/2019: 7,431
2019/2020: 7,071
2020/2021: N/A
2021/2022: 6,359

Bill Walton must not be happy.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
incomplete data for judgement. without viewership numbers, and revenues for such, measuring attendance alone is aboot as useful as judging a restaurant solely on the quality of the plates and silverware.
lots of folks around kali, and the nation, watch usc, ucla, stanford, and berkely sports on the tube. other pac teams too, to a lesser degree.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
incomplete data for judgement. without viewership numbers, and revenues for such, measuring attendance alone is aboot as useful as judging a restaurant solely on the quality of the plates and silverware.
lots of folks around kali, and the nation, watch usc, ucla, stanford, and berkely sports on the tube. other pac teams too, to a lesser degree.
Agree if revenue generation is being discussed. However it isn’t the focus of the OP.
Attendance is important. Players feel supported. It’s the primary factor behind home court advantage. The secondary advantage being players don’t have to travel. Any followers of JC know how much emphasis he placed on fan support at games.

Reaction Score
I went to a Pac-12 school and live sports are just not the priority that they are in the Northeast. There are several reasons for that from academics being a priority at Cal and Stanford, to year round sunshine in LA and Arizona, to pro markets in LA, SF, Phoenix, Portland, Seattle, Denver and Utah among others.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
There’s no difference between an Oregon state/Washington state game and an average A10/AAC conference game. Most of these schools are carried by the biggest brands, so obviously the Pac12 is gonna suffer losing 2/3 of their draws.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Agree if revenue generation is being discussed. However it isn’t the focus of the OP.
Attendance is important. Players feel supported. It’s the primary factor behind home court advantage. The secondary advantage being players don’t have to travel. Any followers of JC know how much emphasis he placed on fan support at games.
'Agree if revenue generation is being discussed'
fair enuf, i'll agree.
'However it isn’t the focus of the OP.'
ain't giving u this. the implication of the op, heck, it even has the word 'bad' in the title, is judgmental, and i don't agree that attendance alone is sufficient to judge anything aboot those programs.

attendance is nice an all that, but
it ain't got nothing to do with some team's success, like for instance,
the Tampa Bay Rays, and a bunch others, college and pro.
people don't attend rays games, or marlin games for that matter, but if you tool around Florida, u'll often see the game on in homes and bars/restaurants. definitely more rays on that then marlins, especially north and west of broward.
go too far north, and it becomes Braves turf.
too far west, and it's still rays, tho some turn on the astros, and the braves.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom