OT: Newfoundland | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Newfoundland

Reaction Score
Mastiffs that I have met seem not to be aggressive...they do protect.

I was fearful of my boys rotty at first, but she is a gentle soul....however, she had to be well trained. When I walk her and a stranger approaches, she stiffens up and is very alert. I say "sit"...and she sits and will not budge.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I concur. I still miss my Dogue (de Bordeaux) - easily the best dog i ever had, especially in the face of my current PITA lab. :)
Had dogues too (male and female). Amazing dogs. Hope to have another at some point.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
We'd all be dead right now if chihuahuas were 100 pounds. I've never met one yet that I don't reflexively calculate whether or not they would fit in a microwave..

I am not a small dog guy, I guess...
Lol. Couldn't agree more

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
No haven't had one but working for a vet had to completely shave one in order to allow the vet to treat the dog for a tick pandemic (I kid you not I couldn't count all the ticks! The dog though was huge but like a Gentle Ben!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I met a Newfy once. Absolutely a friendly dog. Jumped up on me like a Buffalo cop to an old geezer. Very sweet dog.

The owners lived deep in the Meshomosic forest so I always wondered what humidity does to Newfys. Also, I can't even imagine trying to look for ticks.

And the drool.

Reaction Score
The dog, not the province. Anyone had one?
We have two dogs, a chocolate lab and a Newfoundland Landseer, which is a special Newfoundland breed. Both are females, and we love them so much. A Landseer Newfoundland has a black and white spotted coat, ours is 4 years old. She's the most beautiful dog I've ever owned, almost reminds me of a big German Shorthaired Pointer on steroids, after she goes for her 4 month hair cut. Yes, she does shed but not nearly as much as a German Shepherd I had for 13 years. As for the slobbering, yes, get used to it if you get one. As for temperament and intelligence, Newfoundland's have no peer in my opinion. Here's a picture from 3 or 4 weeks ago, she weighs about 150.......

Screenshot_20200619-161437.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is my pup Birdie....she’s about 3 months in these photos. She’s 4 months now and weighs about 45 lbs. Her dad was 150 and her mom was 140. So far she’s been incredible.

(Edit-the photo didn’t load lol)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We like big dogs and considered a Newfie. But opted for something 70 lbs less and a bit shorter after learning that there was likely no area of our kitchen counters that would be safe from an interested Newfie.

As far as shedding, our current dog (85 lb great pyrenees/golden retriever mix) is the worst shedder we've ever owned. The thing about serious shedding dogs is not what you see and pick up during routine cleaning, it's where it goes that you're not expecting. Got an event where you need to wear your black wool topcoat that's been in the front closet all summer, seemingly unmolested? Sorry, you'll spent 30 minutes or more de-hairing that baby. Same with your interview suit you just got back from the cleaners last week (keep that in the bag). Have company coming over for dinner? Hey, what's that hair doing in the skillet? And that one. And that one. Crap, it's on the cloth napkins too? Honey, where are the paper napkins? Wear anything with velcro (like a knee brace)? It'll look like it's covered in fuzzy mold.

I'm amazed I don't cough up furballs with the amount of shedding my guy does.. I can't gig Uber or Lyft because there's no possibility of having a fur-less back seat.

Other thing is I wouldn't trust an electric fence. A big dog with momentum can blow right through that, then he'll be sitting in street trying to figure out how to get back in the yard. If you've got a decent sized backyard that's not already fenced, install one. Wooden picket works, 48" or more above ground for pretty much any dog.

I'd also start looking around for a nature area where you can take him for a swim w/o getting arrested for it.

And if you want to know the worst case scenario for a Newfie, here's one owner's experience.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Got an even where you need to wear your black wool topcoat that's been in the front closet all summer, seemingly unmolested? Sorry, you'll spent 30 minutes or more de-hairing that baby. Same with your interview suit you just got back from the cleaners last week (keep that in the bag). Have company coming over for dinner? Hey, what's that hair doing in the skillet? And that one. And that one. Crap, it's on the cloth napkins too? Honey, where are the paper napkins? Wear anything with velcro (like a knee brace)? It'll look like it's covered in fuzzy mold.
Lol. I've found myself thinking I either need to get a lighter colored overcoat or a darker colored dog.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Has anyone here every owned a boerboel?

Reaction Score
God that's awful. Something like that happened in our old neighborhood in the middle of the afternoon. A pitbull escaped from a house and attacked a guy that was walking his beagle. Basically tore the beagle's lungs out. The guy broke his hand trying to get the pit bull off him, blood everywhere. I've never heard a grown man scream in so much anguish as his dog was basically dying in front of him.

I see all these adorable pit bull videos but that event is the reason I could never do it.

OMG these 2 stories are awful sorry guys wth think I'm going to arm myself from here on in walking my pup. Geez. billybud sorry man that was a terrible experience so sorry. I mean I know there are plenty of good pits but I honestly can't trust them ever, it's a natural feeling as I walk with my pup near them.

Reaction Score
Had one growing up. I remember going in a lake with him pulling me around.

Reaction Score
I have had a female and male Pitbull "mix". We had them spayed and neutered. I would recommend the female version unless you are good at training. Dogs running through the woods freely of any breed are a danger, to other dogs but also to domestic animals. If I had $5 for every dog owner with their dog off leash that runs up and says "I am so sorry" after their dog charges up to us it would be a tidy sum by now.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have had a female and male Pitbull "mix". We had them spayed and neutered. I would recommend the female version unless you are good at training. Dogs running through the woods freely of any breed are a danger, to other dogs but also to domestic animals. If I had $5 for every dog owner with their dog off leash that runs up and says "I am so sorry" after their dog charges up to us it would be a tidy sum by now.

I have to ask... what other domestic animals are out in the woods?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
After this thread I feel like the bigErn family owning a Newfie will be an ongoing story the boneyard needs in these troubled times. Granted not as essential as deepster starting a chicken farm ( what could go wrong there?) but I’m anticipating good entertainment value.

Get the dog.

please.

::subscribed for 230 am grooming sessions by the pool::

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My aunt rescued pitbulls, had many over the years . Loving, peaceful environment. One morning a pit bull she owned for 8 years with no warning or provocation decided to rip her face off while she was sleeping. Seriously
it ripped her face off . She was lucky she wasn’t dead and had to have multiple facial reconstruction surgeries.

Screw that breed. It’s useless. save your “ buts........” a lab isn’t randomly ripping off people’s faces.

Reaction Score
I have to ask... what other domestic animals are out in the woods?
When folks have sheep, goats etc. inside fencing dogs that are running loose can get in the pen and it is not pretty. Of course Bobcats, Bears and Coyotes are also an issue.. I lost chickens to a fisher cat. My next door neighbor had a Dalmatian that went after a relatives kid. Dogs need to be controlled around strangers and kids. A dog bit a 3 y.o. in Wellfleet yesterday after it was let out of a room by mistake when friends were visiting. Listed as a 100lb staffordshire terrier. This dog should have been on a leash in the home and watched so that it was not able to be surprised or excited by new people.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
When folks have sheep, goats etc. inside fencing dogs that are running loose can get in the pen and it is not pretty. Of course Bobcats, Bears and Coyotes are also an issue.. I lost chickens to a fisher cat. My next door neighbor had a Dalmatian that went after a relatives kid. Dogs need to be controlled around strangers and kids. A dog bit a 3 y.o. in Wellfleet yesterday after it was let out of a room by mistake when friends were visiting. Listed as a 100lb staffordshire terrier. This dog should have been on a leash in the home and watched so that it was not able to be surprised or excited by new people.

None of which are "domestic animals out in the woods". I don't disagree with your points, but it was your original assertion that there are other domestic animals in the woods that piqued my interest.

Reaction Score
My aunt rescued pitbulls, had many over the years . Loving, peaceful environment. One morning a pit bull she owned for 8 years with no warning or provocation decided to rip her face off while she was sleeping. Seriously
it ripped her face off . She was lucky she wasn’t dead and had to have multiple facial reconstruction surgeries.

Screw that breed. It’s useless. save your “ buts........” a lab isn’t randomly ripping off people’s faces.
That's just not true. Sure you're a lot more likely to get your face ripped off by a Pit but Labs rip peoples faces off too. Labs are typically good family dogs but there are a lot of safer breeds.

Reaction Score
None of which are "domestic animals out in the woods". I don't disagree with your points, but it was your original assertion that there are other domestic animals in the woods that piqued my interest.

Go back and read to post Storrs. Then come back and see me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom