OT: New Retail at The Rent | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: New Retail at The Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As a Jets fan. Gillette sucks as a football venue and is imposible to get in and out of.

As an economic development plan, sure I am open to the idea in East Hartford. Would be nice to leave room for XL replacement and have a consolidated sports area ala Philly but that may just be a dream.

This is sound thinking. So it probably won't happen.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
Did you go to the old stadium? Getting out of Gillette is a piece of cake compared to that. Besides, I prefer to park about a mile down the road and walk. It is better than sitting in that traffic. Quick right turn out of the lot and I'm on the highway in minutes.

Never been to the old stadium but that road is swamped on Gameday. I actually parked at a friends house over a mile away and just tailgated afterwards. Even before you get out of your car, walking down the ramps at Gillette is a pain. Like I said, Patriot Place is impressive but accessibility wise it was the worst stadium I have been to in the NFL (including the Meadowlands, Georgia Dome, University of Phoenix Stadium, Lincoln Financial Field)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Negative.

You should see what other cities are doing in this area. In Kansas City they have the outdoor shopping mall, next to the NASCAR track, the MLS Sporting KC Stadium, a minor league baseball stadium, Cabela's, Nebraska Furniture etc.. All within walking distance.

It's great, you can have dinner at a gourmet restaurant and then walk across the street and see Sporting KC play.

i know of all this. i have a great example. the track in dover del used to be off a 6 lane open main rd/highway. it used to have hotels, dive bars and a couple schools along it that were cc levels. one of those schoold is del state. now when u go down there the schools is pretty and 3 times as big, every chain store and shop possible is on the strip and so on. i get all that. but spending $ on this is not in our best interest right now. the b10 isn't adding us becuase we get a wild wings in our stadium parking lot. spening $ on th wrong things right now is like killing the program. the state wouldn't spend this $ unless its already know whwre we are going. but im still not happy with the crappy setup overall.

Reaction Score
i know of all this. i have a great example. the track in dover del used to be off a 6 lane open main rd/highway. it used to have hotels, dive bars and a couple schools along it that were cc levels. one of those schoold is del state. now when u go down there the schools is pretty and 3 times as big, every chain store and shop possible is on the strip and so on. i get all that. but spending $ on this is not in our best interest right now. the b10 isn't adding us becuase we get a wild wings in our stadium parking lot. spening $ on th wrong things right now is like killing the program. the state wouldn't spend this $ unless its already know whwre we are going. but im still not happy with the crappy setup overall.

The University is not developing the shopping area. The State is, and is doing so because it sees a benefit in doing so.

To say that you are whining just for the sake of whining would be a massive understatement. Nothing in this announcement will have any harm whatsoever on UConn football.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The University is not developing the shopping area. The State is, and is doing so because it sees a benefit in doing so.

To say that you are whining just for the sake of whining would be a massive understatement. Nothing in this announcement will have any harm whatsoever on UConn football.

1) it means uconn football is staying in east hartford for the next 100 years

2) dont need it becuase #1 is bad enough.

Reaction Score

The idea isn't to spend money. The idea is to get other businesses to spend money to develop the area.

Reaction Score
1) it means uconn football is staying in east hartford for the next 100 years

This is not news Sherlock. The Rent was not built as temporary space at an elementary school.

The political support in Hartford that the University needs requires that events occur where the entire state has access to it. And guess what -- the University has developed very successfully over time by making sure that Fairfield County (and to a lesser extent New Haven county) feels more tied to UConn.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
This is not news Sherlock. The Rent was not built as temporary space at an elementary school.

The political support in Hartford that the University needs requires that events occur where the entire state has access to it. And guess what -- the University has developed very successfully over time by making sure that Fairfield County (and to a lesser extent New Haven county) feels more tied to UConn.

the way u reach ffc is by taking more students and contact alum better thru adds etc. not moving the football field 20 minutes closer. your telling me the hour drive is ok but a hour 20 isn't? a train from ffc take 1 hour give or take to gct every day. i think these folks can handle a hour 20 drive. especially when u tell them instead of going to a airfield with a cabelas and mall around it u can go to campus and spend the day eating in the cafe visiting the kids dorms going to the local bars and so much more.

its so far off culture wise here that we have fans going to the grave with how great hartford is. its scary how u all literally have no freaking clue wtf is up or down. hartford was a great start for fball becuase its in hartford and thats where the dumb asz school played some bball games which is another crime. i can not stress enough how colleges use athletics to mold culture and student/alum bases. we are 99% missing out of that and its showing. u want tv sets? u want more fans with car stickers? u want more fans traveling? anll that stuff? then u have to create and push the culture. we do the opposite, we sell a fake culture of hartford to a fanbase when the schools is in the sticks 20 minutes away. i would rather put in a 1mil hs turf field at the bottom of horse barn hill and make 50k sit there cold asses on it and get dirty every saturday then play another dam fball game at the pos rent. its a nice starter place but ppl here ar eblind if they think its anything special.

plan for the future, not double down on crapy decisions to start with.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Dan, again- it's a non starter. Never happen. Focus your energies on making the Rent better.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
the way u reach ffc is by taking more students and contact alum better thru adds etc. not moving the football field 20 minutes closer. your telling me the hour drive is ok but a hour 20 isn't? a train from ffc take 1 hour give or take to gct every day. i think these folks can handle a hour 20 drive. especially when u tell them instead of going to a airfield with a cabelas and mall around it u can go to campus and spend the day eating in the cafe visiting the kids dorms going to the local bars and so much more.

its so far off culture wise here that we have fans going to the grave with how great hartford is. its scary how u all literally have no freaking clue wtf is up or down. hartford was a great start for fball becuase its in hartford and thats where the dumb asz school played some bball games which is another crime. i can not stress enough how colleges use athletics to mold culture and student/alum bases. we are 99% missing out of that and its showing. u want tv sets? u want more fans with car stickers? u want more fans traveling? anll that stuff? then u have to create and push the culture. we do the opposite, we sell a fake culture of hartford to a fanbase when the schools is in the sticks 20 minutes away. i would rather put in a 1mil hs turf field at the bottom of horse barn hill and make 50k sit there cold asses on it and get dirty every saturday then play another dam fball game at the pos rent. its a nice starter place but ppl here ar eblind if they think its anything special.

plan for the future, not double down on crapy decisions to start with.
I don't disagree with much of this Dan, but it is what it is. Might as well make the best of it by making the Rent more of a destination (acknowledging that there are limitations to how much can be done.)

On a related note, Horsebarn Hill just cries for stadium, doesn't it? Cue the inevitable traffic comments... I still say, from seeing how traffic is handled at other schools, it is manageable. Use police to enforce one way traffic out of school to speed departures. Use alternative routes, like Gurlyville road to route 6, to spread our cars. It's doable. It won't happen in the foreseeable future but ...oh what might have been.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with much of this Dan, but it is what it is. Might as well make the best of it by making the Rent more of a destination (acknowledging that there are limitations to how much can be done.)

On a related note, Horsebarn Hill just cries for stadium, doesn't it? Cue the inevitable traffic comments... I still say, from seeing how traffic is handled at other schools, it is manageable. Use police to enforce one way traffic out of school to speed departures. Use alternative routes, like Gurlyville road to route 6, to spread our cars. It's doable. It won't happen in the foreseeable future but ...oh what might have been.

just u being able to see what my drunk ass is saying should get u a top notch job in storrs vs the idiots working there now. just some how redo storrs rd with moulton or something. but anyway...heres a small little shot i'm going to take. all the houses in the area around campus are not that expensive. if i was uconn i would start buying every signle one of these up. the state needs to spend money turning storrs into a little fairfield like town with a downtown and school and residents all strategically placed for great flow and lifestyle. right now its a mess. the dts was a start i guess. i have not seen it. but it doesn't have any major things yet. no puck barn or bball arena or fball stadium. btween 6 or 7 fball games plus a spring game and some other evernts and bball home games and midnight madness and other events and puck games and baseball and lax etc etc. u have to create enough times where fans and alum are coming to the campus where it becomes culture to do so. to the point where u work in hartford and guess what, u live close by. to the point where it causes a boom in hartford jobs/bus wise and so on. the state needs to curve all that. but they are tos busy making sure some mall gets put in at a crappy airport.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Dan, again- it's a non starter. Never happen. Focus your energies on making the Rent better.

sell the rent. its easily sellable to 2 ppl that will not hurt uconn. pro soccer will not hurt uconn and nascar wont hurt uconn. sell it to a dveleoper or a franchise or something.

no puck, bball or baseball and clealry fball is a never gonna happen...get rid of the minor league teams d league teams and all that from new haven and north. ppl want sports, friday night u pack the puck rink where ever that is and root on uconn kicking psu's ass or something. spring time go watch a lax or baseball or softball game. time to turn this state around and stop the yankee confrernce thinking.

florida was a bs nobody 30 years ago. look now. they get it down there. we can do that same stuff if we had a real vision.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
sell the rent. its easily sellable to 2 ppl that will not hurt uconn. pro soccer will not hurt uconn and nascar wont hurt uconn. sell it to a dveleoper or a franchise or something.

no puck, bball or baseball and clealry fball is a never gonna happen...get rid of the minor league teams d league teams and all that from new haven and north. ppl want sports, friday night u pack the puck rink where ever that is and root on uconn kicking psu's ass or something. spring time go watch a lax or baseball or softball game. time to turn this state around and stop the yankee confrernce thinking.

florida was a bs nobody 30 years ago. look now. they get it down there. we can do that same stuff if we had a real vision.

I think you spend too much time playing SimCity.

The real world seems to be foreign to you.

But you are good at stalking high school kids on twitter for recruiting. I suggest stick to your strengths.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I think you spend too much time playing SimCity.

The real world seems to be foreign to you.

But you are good at stalking high school kids on twitter for recruiting. I suggest stick to your strengths.

i have never owned or played that game but i know what your jerkass is talking about. maybe u should donate that game to leadership, they could use it. the real world is me being able to go nuts on here, thats the real world. if u can't handle a random internet poster ona random website then your the one with the real world issues. i havn't been on twitter for a while now. my name and use is gone. more cowbell

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
adding that stuff doesn't create uconn fans. it creates ppl who like the place who then say, omg if that stadium wasn't here this would be so much better reasons. and then they start making excuse about only day games and no soccer or concerts and so on. its a trap.

whats the land in storrs between the wlot and red rock? it has like eco grass or something in a small part of it. get me a tractor and a bulldozer and i'll go to work. its doesn't take a scientist to figure out we have done everything to date wrong with our facilities. buit gampel small. xl is ting and will never get redone correctly. its a half hour away and breeds a fanbase culture of lazyness. the rent was wrong and its small and its in hartford. sorry, truth hurts. puck? we need a barn now.

other schools brings alums and fans and families onto campus 70% of the weekend in a year. u want to talk about breeding culture/fanbase and also donations? thats how u do it. alums coming backl over and over seeing and doing things. thats the $ flow. kids being there 30 times before hs college trips happen, guess what, they already know uconn is that place. family coems and tailgates and partys ith them for games, its close, u loved it dince u were 5 and so on.

how big land wise is the rent setup. i mean like the whole place i know its big... well they need to build a triangle and stop doing pussyass . 60k parking spots with the fball stadium(60k) at the point. the puck barn in one cirner and the bball arena in the other. do them up and do them right. the bball arean doesn't need to host anything accept 45 bball games a year. close packed seats to the court. 15k with 5k of that being a serious student section. lets mold culture here. puck barn. 5 k is plenty. get inspiration from the whale and other big time schools. do it up. fball stadium, lets not build a concrete erector set and do something with a bit of southern fball tastse with uconn/new england architecture so it all flows. recruits families need to look at it and say, i wan to spend my weekend here.

were willing to spend millions on a mall and some apartments or w/e and billions to get into the aau, so dont even yell at me for the 200mil we can get lla this done for together in 1 big project. u want to go B1G????? i bet this is worth more than other investments.

aaaaahhhhh!!!!!
The residents of Storrs and Mansfield blocked the on-campus stadium idea in the late 90's/early oughts. Still gotta go through the town to get what you want. You are preaching to the choir here. Attend a town meeting or two, but I can't imagine the residents will change their tune from a decade+ ago.

Reaction Score
the state is trying to kill our program before CR can. this is a frucking football field and tailgate lot, not some pretty frucking mall setup with a fball field in the parking lot. chesus. knock the place down and lets build one on campus next to dts somewhere. then lets get a 15 k bball arena and a puck barn in there also. fruck this state and its idiot leftie leaders.

i beg to know why we can't just have nice normal things like the rest of the big boys. its just amazing how many ppl want to ruin this school over and over again so it never becomes a big boy. is cabelas a cool store? sure, but i dont frucking want it within 2 miles of my cheeseburger and tailgate.

)*@*)+$&!$+))+~)$*)~*~FUC#*#*#*$+@*$+~*$+

How many are with HFD?

Fact is ... the RENTSCHLER SITE IS SCREAMING FOR MORE ACTIVITY.

This will only enhance that Location ... enhance the Gameday experience ... and make our UCONN FOOTBALL program better. Where am I coming from? I work with a Development firm that did Tremblant & Whistler (left Intrawest & then are on their own). They have done retail/mixeduse/amenities (restaurants etc) next to Florida State's stadium. And were in the planning around the Staple's Center in LA. This is part & parcel of being bigger. It gets us away from the UMASS rental type; the lonely Western Michigan venue; it becomes a Gameday that has more buzz. We need all of this.

Husky25

Reaction Score
why can't we spend 20mil of that couple hundred on making the rent 50-60k??? why can't that project be good for both sides? how come we cant sell naming right until 2018? whos bright idea contract wise was that??? why can't we get a redbull type company and sell the rent to them. i mean sell it. 100mil its your and u can bring a soccer team into CT to join the mls and host usa games. u give us a 10 year rent the stadium deal on stadurdays for our fball program and before thats up we will be out with a new stadium. then we will develope around that stadium for u and all that jazz. give them the option and tell them they can expand it to 50k by law or w/e. tell them we will never allow another pro sports team into the market. they can be the only one. thats the only professional sport we can have in this state that wont hurt uconn at all.

Because the land on which the stadium sits was donated by UTC. Next time, do a simple Internet search before typing your rant. It will save you time. Almost everything with which you take issue has been worked around. It just seems like the work-around is not to your liking. To that I have no response, but b1tching about it here doesn't seem to be helping. You need to b1tch to someone who can do something about it.

The state acquired the Rentschler Field site through a donation by United Technologies Corporation (UTC). Under statute and the terms of the donation agreement, the stadium must be named Rentschler Field until the summer of 2018, and any proposed name after that must include the phrase “at Rentschler Field.” UTC also has the right of first refusal for purchasing naming rights and the ability to reject a proposed name for the facility.

CL82

Reaction Score
The residents of Storrs and Mansfield blocked the on-campus stadium idea in the late 90's/early oughts. Still gotta go through the town to get what you want. You are preaching to the choir here. Attend a town meeting or two, but I can't imagine the residents will change their tune from a decade+ ago.
In a down economy? Things could be different. Not that it will happen now that we have the Rent.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Because the land on which the stadium sits was donated by UTC. Next time, do a simple Internet search before typing your rant. It will save you time. Almost everything with which you take issue has been worked around. It just seems like the work-around is not to your liking. To that I have no response, but b1tching about it here doesn't seem to be helping. You need to b1tch to someone who can do something about it.

The state acquired the Rentschler Field site through a donation by United Technologies Corporation (UTC). Under statute and the terms of the donation agreement, the stadium must be named Rentschler Field until the summer of 2018, and any proposed name after that must include the phrase “at Rentschler Field.” UTC also has the right of first refusal for purchasing naming rights and the ability to reject a proposed name for the facility.

exactly, what a job we did negotiation wise back then. every year we dont have a sponsor its million lost in the wallet.

Husky25

Reaction Score
In a down economy? Things could be different. Not that it will happen now that we have the Rent.

The Storrs/Manfield residents are as NIMBY as they come. They are the only people in New England who dread Sundress weather, because that means the outdoor parties at Carriage House and Celeron start back up again. They got rid of Spring Weekend because of the death a few years back. Beyond the infrastructure and feasibility issues, they would be inviting at least 6 Spring Weekend type events a year if a stadium was built on campus.

The School can control crowds at Gampel, Jurgensen, Vonder Maden, et. al. because they are relatively small. Bringing a Rusted Root/Old Dirty Ba***rd type concert (from 1999) to a 60k+ seat football stadium would invite pandemonium.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How many are with HFD?

This will only enhance that Location ... enhance the Gameday experience ... and make our UCONN FOOTBALL program better. Where am I coming from? I work with a Development firm that did Tremblant & Whistler (left Intrawest & then are on their own). They have done retail/mixeduse/amenities (restaurants etc) next to Florida State's stadium. And were in the planning around the Staple's Center in LA. This is part & parcel of being bigger. It gets us away from the UMASS rental type; the lonely Western Michigan venue; it becomes a Gameday that has more buzz. We need all of this.

To quote the Talking Heads, "Stop Making Sense"

Reaction Score
How many are with HFD?

Not to mention...every time someone drives into the Rentschler complex to shop, they pass by a GIANT ADVERTISEMENT for the university and UConn football.

The truth of the matter is, had most major college teams built their football stadiums at the same time UConn did, they would be seeking exactly the same kind of multi-purpose complex that wasn't just athletics-based, and a goodly number of them would be looking to put their stadiums in a more convenient place than at current.

CL82

Reaction Score
The Storrs/Manfield residents are as NIMBY as they come. They are the only people in New England who dread Sundress weather, because that means the outdoor parties at Carriage House and Celeron start back up again. They got rid of Spring Weekend because of the death a few years back. Beyond the infrastructure and feasibility issues, they would be inviting at least 6 Spring Weekend type events a year if a stadium was built on campus.

The School can control crowds at Gampel, Jurgensen, Vonder Maden, et. al. because they are relatively small. Bringing a Rusted Root/Old Dirty Ba***rd type concert (from 1999) to a 60k+ seat football stadium would invite pandemonium.
Believe everywhere is a NIMBY as they come. There are ways to deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom