OT: NCAA Expected to rule unethical conduct on Haith | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: NCAA Expected to rule unethical conduct on Haith

Status
Not open for further replies.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
No one has ever taken a picture with someone that is handing them a big check before? I ask this because I wonder how far institutions should go in terms of vetting someone that is donating money. Should everyone who ever hands over a check be investigated by that school in an effort to make sure they are on the up and up? If that is the case, then a lot of people aren't going to be able to give money to a given school.

I believe that the NCAA is already all over that whole "booster" thing, in terms of how much presumptive control the institutions are supposed to have over their "boosters'"activities. They have been for years.

You may well ask how far the institutions should go....and I would offer that the NCAA's opinion is "pretty damned far".

caw

Reaction Score
Or he could receive a show cause similar to what happened to Bruce Pearl

Missouri wouldn't technically have to fire him if there is a show-cause. They could receive quite a few penalties if they don't fire him, but it's not technically a requirement.

Reaction Score
Missouri wouldn't technically have to fire him if there is a show-cause. They could receive quite a few penalties if they don't fire him, but it's not technically a requirement.

The inability to recruit off campus for say probably 2 years would be pretty crippling if a show cause got slapped on him, don't see how you could have a HC functioning in that role with that kind of restriction.

Reaction Score
No one has ever taken a picture with someone that is handing them a big check before? I ask this because I wonder how far institutions should go in terms of vetting someone that is donating money. Should everyone who ever hands over a check be investigated by that school in an effort to make sure they are on the up and up? If that is the case, then a lot of people aren't going to be able to give money to a given school.

$50k? I don't think a President runs around for $50k. Unless it's a sports photo-op I guess.

Reaction Score
$50k? I don't think a President runs around for $50k. Unless it's a sports photo-op I guess.

I don't know what they run around for. Charities for at risk children I suppose.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Andy Katz makes it sound like this will drag on a long time and he supports Haith's claim that he is innocent (I'm in the Navy and we believe that the Captain should go down with the ship but Haith apparently feels that if you skate away to another place you should be free and clear?)

Reaction Score

You're right and this penalty is very confusing. However after a little more research I think 0% of collegiate programs would hire a coach with a show-cause. The university would most likely receive additional sanctions. This is why Sampson and Pearl haven't had jobs in several years.

caw

Reaction Score
You're right and this penalty is very confusing. However after a little more research I think 0% of collegiate programs would hire a coach with a show-cause. The university would most likely receive additional sanctions. This is why Sampson and Pearl haven't had jobs in several years.

Sampson and Pearl were in different situations. Both were at the school (or just fired from the school) they received the show cause penalty at and thus the show-cause penalty would go with them to a new school.

Haith is already at a new school. He was hired before the penalty was in effect. I'm not even sure if the allegations were out when he was hired, it was pretty close.

It will be interesting to see how the NCAA rules in this case.

Haith is a pretty horrid game coach anyway and I would use this chance to fire him anyway, if I was the AD at Missouri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom