OT: NBA's Jason Collins comes out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: NBA's Jason Collins comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I knew of him because his brothers preceded the Lopez brothers at Stanford. I am glad someone felt they could come out. But I am a bit skeptical at the timing. As a free agent 34 year old big man that has not had a major impact in the league, would he have been resigned if he had not come out? There is a reasonable possibility to believe that his career could have been over after this season anyway. Does his coming out now, after the end of his season, shine so much of a light on his situation that NBA will now feel obligated to make sure he is on a roster next season? If he is not, would you not expect some of the masses of these supporters to place blame on the fact that this decision was made due to his sexual orientation, and not on his ability to improve an NBA roster?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well to be honest, there could be a little self promotion in there. He is pretty much an unknown journeyman player. Outside of NBA aficionados, he's not really known, until now. Also there is already talk (and it may just be talk) that he could get some endorsement deals out of this from gay centric products (whatever they might be???). Whether he does or not, or if that was in his thinking or not, only he (and his agent) really knows. Not that there is really anything wrong with that. He's 34, a free agent (he doesn't at this point have a team next year), journeyman player, possibly coming to the end of his career. Some self promotion may not be a bad idea. Especially if he wants to keep playing, which I've read he does, or if he wants to set himself up better for his post playing career.

It certainly is self promotion for SI. Gonna sell a lot of magazines. But that's what they are in business for. But people may be a little naive to think that all the motives are "pure" and some are not ulterior.
Huge scoop for SI - no question.
As for Collins ... not so much. Sure there is that old advertising adage - 'there is no such thing as bad publicity' but ...? I am sure there may be some extra endorsement opportunities, but I image those will be offset by some opportunities that have disappeared. ESPN did an anonymous poll of 14 NBA franchises who all said he would be hired or not based on skills and ability to still contribute, but at least one said there would also have to be an internal meeting to discuss the ramifications to decide - not you typical action when signing a free agent. And if he is playing next year you can be sure that some fans will be yelling pretty horrendous things at him. Hopefully no appearance by Westboro at his games, but there are a bunch of other nuts out there.
It sort of reminds me of Magic and his Aids announcement. Lots of support and 'how courageous', but a lot of folks that weren't sure they wanted to be on his team or even on the court with him.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Huge scoop for SI - no question.
As for Collins ... not so much. Sure there is that old advertising adage - 'there is no such thing as bad publicity' but ...? I am sure there may be some extra endorsement opportunities, but I image those will be offset by some opportunities that have disappeared. ESPN did an anonymous poll of 14 NBA franchises who all said he would be hired or not based on skills and ability to still contribute, but at least one said there would also have to be an internal meeting to discuss the ramifications to decide - not you typical action when signing a free agent. And if he is playing next year you can be sure that some fans will be yelling pretty horrendous things at him. Hopefully no appearance by Westboro at his games, but there are a bunch of other nuts out there.
It sort of reminds me of Magic and his Aids announcement. Lots of support and 'how courageous', but a lot of folks that weren't sure they wanted to be on his team or even on the court with him.
Although I agree with your points, see Bruinball above. Like I said, all the motives may not be "pure". And not really anything wrong with promoting oneself in my opinion.

Hadn't thought about Westboro. But I don't know if NBA fans would be as nice as grieving families. I'm sure there will be some nuts out there. There always are.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I knew of him because his brothers preceded the Lopez brothers at Stanford. I am glad someone felt they could come out. But I am a bit skeptical at the timing. As a free agent 34 year old big man that has not had a major impact in the league, would he have been resigned if he had not come out?

First of all, Jason Collins has played 12 seasons in the NBA. You do not just play 12 seasons by chance. Second he started 476 of his 713 games played. He may not have been an NBA All Star or made one of the All-NBA Teams, but he was certainly a valued and respected teammate. The NBA is about winning, entertainment, and profit. No player plays 12 seasons by accident or luck. And it is not like he is a nobody; he was a Third All-American and First Team All PAC 10 in his final year of college.

Moreover, Collins does not need the money. He has made millions from years and years in the NBA. His family is well off. He attended Stanford. And I wouldn't be surprised to see him as an NBA assistant coach in the future. He is a very cerebral player who was always known for his defensive prowess.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Although I agree with your points, see Bruinball above. Like I said, all the motives may not be "pure". And not really anything wrong with promoting oneself in my opinion.

http://news.findlaw.com/ap/s/2030/04-30-2013/20130430003501_32.html?DCMP=NWL-pro_top

So after having, he explains, "endured years of misery and gone to enormous lengths to live a lie," Collins became the first active player in one of the four major U.S. pro sports leagues to come out as gay. He wrote a first-person article posted Monday on Sports Illustrated's website that begins: "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay."

And he plans to be in Boston on June 8, marching alongside Kennedy at the city's 2013 gay pride parade.

"I didn't doubt for a second, knowing he was gay, that he would be the one to do it," Kennedy, a Massachusetts Democrat, told The Associated Press. "I've never known him to look for publicity, or to look for the spotlight, but given that no one else would raise their hand, I knew he would do it."

Living in the nation's capital last month while the U.S. Supreme Court heard arguments about same-sex marriage had an effect on Collins, who says "the strain of hiding my sexuality became almost unbearable" at that time.

"Less than three miles from my apartment, nine jurists argued about my happiness and my future. Here was my chance to be heard, and I couldn't say a thing," he writes.

I think there is a huge difference between looking for publicity "for" yourself and looking for publicity "of" yourself because you do not want others to have endure what you did.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Much of news is by definition promotion, if only of information.

The reference was made to Jackie Robinson. There it was an action and an athelete promoted to the hilt to break new ground and get the ball rolling for the other athletes that quickly followed. The more the "new news" is blasted into the social consciousness and the sooner that it becomes just "already been there" old news, the better.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
First of all, Jason Collins has played 12 seasons in the NBA. You do not just play 12 seasons by chance. Second he started 476 of his 713 games played. He may not have been an NBA All Star or made one of the All-NBA Teams, but he was certainly a valued and respected teammate. The NBA is about winning, entertainment, and profit. No player plays 12 seasons by accident or luck. And it is not like he is a nobody; he was a Third All-American and First Team All PAC 10 in his final year of college.

Moreover, Collins does not need the money. He has made millions from years and years in the NBA. His family is well off. He attended Stanford. And I wouldn't be surprised to see him as an NBA assistant coach in the future. He is a very cerebral player who was always known for his defensive prowess.
Cam, I questioned his timing. His twin brother has been out of the league for a couple of years. He has played in 172 games over the last 5 seasons. He is in the latter stages of the downside of his career. That should not be debated. Do you not think this puts tremendous pressure on the league by having their first "active" player come out after the end of what very well could have been his final season regardless of his orientation? Wouldn't this have been a more effective statement 5-6 years into his career, or shortly after breaking off his engagement to Carolyn Moos for this reason?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Cam, I questioned his timing. His twin brother has been out of the league for a couple of years. He has played in 172 games over the last 5 seasons. He is in the latter stages of the downside of his career. That should not be debated. Do you not think this puts tremendous pressure on the league by having their first "active" player come out after the end of what very well could have been his final season regardless of his orientation? Wouldn't this have been a more effective statement 5-6 years into his career, or shortly after breaking off his engagement to Carolyn Moos for this reason?

If you have never struggled with the decision to come out, you cannot know what it is like.

No one can know when it is "the right time" to come out, except for the person himself/herself. You cannot attribute value judgments as to when it would have been more effective. Collins was struggling with his decision. It is one thing to have same-sex attaction. It is another to act on it. It is yet another thing to accept that you are gay. And it is an even more daunting task to have to share this with people who may choose to reject you simply because you love someone of the same sex.

So whether or not something is "effective" is not for me to say, nor is it for anyone to say, other than Jason Collins.

If it is his last year, he is still an active player. Free agency does not hit until July. Moreover, he would not have to deal with fan backlash (which would be worse than those of current and former teammates, as Collins was and is a beloved teammate).

It is not like coming out is going to make him millions in endorsements. And the man has made a total of $33 million playing the sport. He does not need the money, nor does he need to play another year.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Cam, I cannot begin to imagine the personal strife he has faced in deciding to make this publicly known.

My observation is that he has put the league in a very tough situation based on the timing. Very simply, if he chooses not to play again, or does not make it onto an NBA roster, there will be masses blaming this on his decision to come out not basing it on the facts surrounding the situation in its entirety. In doing so, the league that has supported him so well these many years could be hurt by the backlash.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Cam, I cannot begin to imagine the personal strife he has faced in deciding to make this publicly known.

My observation is that he has put the league in a very tough situation based on the timing. Very simply, if he chooses not to play again, or does not make it onto an NBA roster, there will be masses blaming this on his decision to come out not basing it on the facts surrounding the situation in its entirety. In doing so, the league that has supported him so well these many years could be hurt by the backlash.
I don't really think there will be masses blaming. I haven't done the research and am not nearly as up on what teams could possibly need or want to sign him. If people hear reports from the NBA teams that he wasn't resigned in any part because he is gay, then yes you will hear an outcry/backlash. But if his time is done and there are other/better players waiting in the wings, I don't think you will hear much of anything with regards to criticism.

We, as a group, generally don't sweat the small stuff. Most don't go looking for trouble since growing up, many of us realized that trouble would find us. Not sure if you, or others, think he should have waited until the end of the season? Waited until he was signed to a new team? Waited until he retired? Not to sound soap-boxy, but he did what he did in his own time when he was ready, and I can't see how his decision could possibly affect the NBA in putting them in a tough situation. There's not really any blame to go around because I think your thoughts on possible "blaming" will likely be a moot point...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't really think there will be masses blaming. I haven't done the research and am not nearly as up on what teams could possibly need or want to sign him. If people hear reports from the NBA teams that he wasn't resigned in any part because he is gay, then yes you will hear an outcry/backlash. But if his time is done and there are other/better players waiting in the wings, I don't think you will hear much of anything with regards to criticism.
I think if he is not signed, there will be those looking for a reason. And looking to lay blame on the fact that he is gay. Not masses, but a small vocal group with an agenda. Just as if he is signed there will be a small vocal group with an agenda that will say it was only because he was gay that he was signed.

Either way we're are going to hear from a small vocal group, due to the timing. Just the way it will play out. Not really of his making.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

2. Do you expect Jason Collins to play in the NBA next season?

Arnovitz: Had you posed this question 24 hours ago without present context, I'd probably say it was 60-40. A big post defender who can set "pancake" screens is still a worthwhile guy to have around, especially if he's as well-thought of as Collins. There are likely a few teams who will pass on him because they fear the unknown, but probably a few others who would celebrate the opportunity to employ him.

Elhassan: Tough to say, but not because of this announcement. If you had asked me 24 hours ago, I would have wavered between yes and no. Collins is a great teammate, smart player and hard worker, but his days of being a productive rotation player are behind him. As a locker room influence on veteran's minimum, he is a tremendous asset. I don't think his sexuality will play a part in his signing in probably 85 percent of markets (there are a couple that have conservative fan bases and sponsors that might pause), but I do think his playing ability will. If he were an All-Star caliber player, the answer would unequivocally be "yes."

Shelburne: Yes. If anything I think there are going to be several teams that would make a point of bringing him in as a show of support. There's always going to be a market for a good defensive big man. It's why Collins has always had a job in the NBA, despite limited athleticism and offensive skills. He's a smart, savvy veteran who knows how to play the game and a good addition to the end of any bench.

Stein: Yup. Totally. It's inevitable that the masses will assume he's being boycotted because of his sexual orientation if he doesn't have a new contract by the time training camp starts, but I'm telling you that won't happen. The reality is that Collins is still a proven third center in a league that has a shortage of competent big men. He will resurface next season for sure and quite possibly with the Wizards again. Or a contending team that needs an extra big. I like the way one GM put it when I asked him the same question: "It's the same as whatever the chances were before the announcement." Expect to see Collins back in the league next season, then.

Thorpe: I'd say it's 50/50. He'll get his chances but his game is not really NBA-caliber anymore. If the GM brings in better, younger candidates, my guess is he would get cut. But at some point, I expect a playoff team in need of a big body to add him by season's end.

Reaction Score
Do you not think this puts tremendous pressure on the league ?

You're right. Oh the poor NBA! My heart aches for it.

Wouldn't this have been a more effective statement 5-6 years into his career, or shortly after breaking off his engagement ?

Who are you to question the timing of one of the most momentous decisions of a person's life?

5 years ago, it was much riskier to his career and I don't blame him for not wanting to test that. 5 years from now he becomes another (irrelevant) ex-NBA star. This was a way to have a big impact, and open the door for others down the road.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A couple of things -
When I read his article I was surprised to learn he hadn't come out to any family member until 2011 nor to his twin brother until last summer. So it isn't like that decision happened 10 years ago and he has just kept it from teammates and the press for a long time. As Cam writes this a long personal journey that has reach its end.
I also found it interesting - he wasn't going to disrupt the team chemistry and distract from basketball by having the media firestorm hit during the season. He reached out to the two teams he played for Celtics and Wizards (management and players) before this was published just to allow them to be prepared for the frenzy. Both signs of a professional being responsible to those around him.
And I think he probably felt signing a new contract before or being under contract to a team when he made the announcement would put them in an unfair position. Let teams know the facts so they enter into a contract with no illusions. (And I am not sure how many multi-year contracts he has played on in the last few years, but given his 'journeyman' recent history I suspect they were mostly one year deals.)
Finally - someone (maybe him) fielded a question about this being partly for publicity to extend his career - the answer, 'probably not, but doesn't that say something about where we are at as a society - that people would say being gay was a marketing tool in team sports rather than a handicap! And if that were true, hurrah!'
He also cited three events in the last year that pushed him to the announcement: Joe Kennedy (his college roommate) talking about marching in the Gay Pride parade in Boston last year and his feeling incredibly jealous; the supreme court deliberations on same sex marriage a few months ago; and the Boston bombing bringing the immediacy of living in the present and not the future. That progression of events/triggers sounds true to me.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score

He put the league in a tough situation? How about the situation he has had to live with his entire life having to hide who he is? Please, no one who has any brains will say it's because he's gay if he doesn't get signed. It'd be because he's older (in basketball years) and not very productive anymore.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Please, no one who has any brains will say it's because he's gay if he doesn't get signed.
Well nobody said they had any brains, just that some people will say that. And other brainless people will say it was because he was gay if he does get signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom