OT: NBA Finals | Page 21 | The Boneyard

OT: NBA Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Curry's shot. Not seen a release quite like it, shooting it before or at the same time he jumps.

Reaction Score
Lebron was pretty special tonight and Curry was as well going bonkers at the end. I expect the Warriors to close it out in Cleveland.

Reaction Score
It's a real shame that Irving and Love are out. The series has still been close but even having one of those guys would make a huge difference. Oh well. I still think the Cavs have a solid chance to take game 6 but they almost no shot in a game 7 scenario.

Reaction Score
NBA officiating is just brutal to watch.
Klay T gets called for a block on a play where LBJ runs him over. Gets called for another one where he barely touches the guy.
Mozgov gets called the first play he is in on contact that is less than what is happening every play. T. Thompson has a ball go out of bounds on a FT rebound when Green hits him from behind. Both of those were big momentum plays.
I heard the announcers say, "that's a bad call" at least 10 times in that game.
One guy said, "nobody is going to be able to say LeBron gets the calls."
Maybe they need to go with younger refs.
On a side note, I can't believe GS won as many games during the season as they did, and I can't believe Klay T. went for that huge number in a quarter. I wonder if the rest of the league will adjust how they play D on GS after watching tape of LBJ, 3 scrubs, and the janitor.

Reaction Score
NBA officiating is just brutal to watch.
Klay T gets called for a block on a play where LBJ runs him over. Gets called for another one where he barely touches the guy.
Mozgov gets called the first play he is in on contact that is less than what is happening every play. T. Thompson has a ball go out of bounds on a FT rebound when Green hits him from behind. Both of those were big momentum plays.
I heard the announcers say, "that's a bad call" at least 10 times in that game.
One guy said, "nobody is going to be able to say LeBron gets the calls."
Maybe they need to go with younger refs.
On a side note, I can't believe GS won as many games during the season as they did, and I can't believe Klay T. went for that huge number in a quarter. I wonder if the rest of the league will adjust how they play D on GS after watching tape of LBJ, 3 scrubs, and the janitor.
You can't believe Warriors won so many games? They certainly haven't played their best but it should probably be expected considering it's everyone's first time on the big stage. They have the best point guard in the league who also happens to be the best shooter in the NBA and they also have the second best shooter in the league. Throw in a roster with a lot of depth and it's not surprising they racked up a ton of wins. Agree officiating has been bad and have no clue why Kerr didn't double team Lebron tonight after seeing what it did the last game.

Reaction Score
You can't believe Warriors won so many games?
I know you're a big fan, but surely you can't believe that the Ws have been impressive in this series? I mean, if Irving and Love were playing, I'd say dropping 2, winning 1 in OT, and pulling away in the 4th in 2 others would be a very good showing. With one of Irving and Love, it's a decent showing. With neither Irving and Love, it's a poor showing, at best. I mean, at one point they were playing against 2 guys who weren't drafted and Mike Miller. It's really ridiculous. Somebody should put together a 10 minute video of the games when LBJ is on the bench. It's hilarious, in a sad way.
Next year will be interesting, because it will indicate whether GS caught lightning in a bottle this year, like a new pitcher that hitters have yet to figure out, plus being injury free and playing against injured teams in the playoffs, or whether they can sustain it.

Reaction Score
and have no clue why Kerr didn't double team Lebron tonight after seeing what it did the last game.
I think Kerr is a very, very good coach. I think Kerr knew that the game 4 results had a lot more to do with the Cavs being gassed and the supporting guys shooting 4 for 24 than it did with the doubling strategy.

Reaction Score
Surprised nobody has taken a swing at Dellavedova yet, the guy is constantly clutching and grabbing. Again he messed with a bigger guy and then made it look like he was the victim, he locked Green's arm and pulled him down, guy has become the Laimbeer of little guys.

yeah let's take a shot at Della for clutching and grabbing (he's the only one - watch Shumpert) when JR Smith thought he was a pulling guard trying to take out Green? :eek:

Reaction Score
I think Kerr is a very, very good coach. I think Kerr knew that the game 4 results had a lot more to do with the Cavs being gassed and the supporting guys shooting 4 for 24 than it did with the doubling strategy.
But as you said it's Lebron with 3 scrubs and a janitor. Why would you go one on one with the best player in the world, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to let the three scrubs and a janitor beat you? Also I told you I'm not a Warriors fan a bunch of times, why do you keep calling me one?

Reaction Score
yeah let's take a shot at Della for clutching and grabbing (he's the only one - watch Shumpert) when JR Smith thought he was a pulling guard trying to take out Green? :eek:
JR got called for a flagrant on that play, the play where Della locked up Green's arm and brought him down he and Green were both called for a common foul.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I know you're a big fan, but surely you can't believe that the Ws have been impressive in this series? I mean, if Irving and Love were playing, I'd say dropping 2, winning 1 in OT, and pulling away in the 4th in 2 others would be a very good showing. With one of Irving and Love, it's a decent showing. With neither Irving and Love, it's a poor showing, at best. I mean, at one point they were playing against 2 guys who weren't drafted and Mike Miller. It's really ridiculous. Somebody should put together a 10 minute video of the games when LBJ is on the bench. It's hilarious, in a sad way.
Next year will be interesting, because it will indicate whether GS caught lightning in a bottle this year, like a new pitcher that hitters have yet to figure out, plus being injury free and playing against injured teams in the playoffs, or whether they can sustain it.

The Cavs may get swept with that lineup. Love and Irving don't play defense well enough to win in 5. Irving is a horrible defender, Curry would score 40.

Reaction Score
The Cavs may get swept with that lineup. Love and Irving don't play defense well enough to win in 5. Irving is a horrible defender, Curry would score 40.

Right. With the way @TasteofUConn is carrying on about how bad the Warriors are I'm not sure he's ever seen Love and Irving defend a pick and roll.

Undoubtedly, Cleveland is better with Irving and Love in the lineup...and them being there is probably the difference between LeBron scoring 40 a game on 40% shooting and 26 a game on 50% shooting. But those two are minus players defensively, and against a pick and roll bomb shell like Golden State, you really don't want your one and your four to be minus defensive players.

There will be a lot of hollering about how limited Cleveland is - and they are - but what they won't tell you is how Golden State forces coaches into inconvenient personnel decisions that don't quite jive with what people are seeing. They can't play Mozgov as much as they want because plodding big men are death against the Warriors, especially when forced to deal the smaller carnations of their lineup. The cross-matches have ended with him guarding Iguodola, and his ability to read the floor both in isolation plays and pick and rolls simply makes that untenable for Cleveland. The off-ball adventures of guys like Smith are far more costly against a team like the Warriors - if Cleveland's entire lineup was intact, they would have to make some difficult decisions regarding where to hide Love and Irving.

The Cavs were never winning this series without Irving and Love. With them, they may well have. But, while it's true that Golden State has been granted the injury variable to an extreme I can't remember any other champion ever be afforded, they're about to finish up the postseason 16-5. That may not be dominant, but it isn't far from it, and their combination of depth and versatility allowed them to adjust to any lineup configuration thrown at them all year, and that would have been the case even with injury mode being off.

Reaction Score
Right. With the way @TasteofUConn is carrying on about how bad the Warriors are I'm not sure he's ever seen Love and Irving defend a pick and roll.

Undoubtedly, Cleveland is better with Irving and Love in the lineup...and them being there is probably the difference between LeBron scoring 40 a game on 40% shooting and 26 a game on 50% shooting. But those two are minus players defensively, and against a pick and roll bomb shell like Golden State, you really don't want your one and your four to be minus defensive players.

There will be a lot of hollering about how limited Cleveland is - and they are - but what they won't tell you is how Golden State forces coaches into inconvenient personnel decisions that don't quite jive with what people are seeing. They can't play Mozgov as much as they want because plodding big men are death against the Warriors, especially when forced to deal the smaller carnations of their lineup. The cross-matches have ended with him guarding Iguodola, and his ability to read the floor both in isolation plays and pick and rolls simply makes that untenable for Cleveland. The off-ball adventures of guys like Smith are far more costly against a team like the Warriors - if Cleveland's entire lineup was intact, they would have to make some difficult decisions regarding where to hide Love and Irving.

The Cavs were never winning this series without Irving and Love. With them, they may well have. But, while it's true that Golden State has been granted the injury variable to an extreme I can't remember any other champion ever be afforded, they're about to finish up the postseason 16-5. That may not be dominant, but it isn't far from it, and their combination of depth and versatility allowed them to adjust to any lineup configuration thrown at them all year, and that would have been the case even with injury mode being off.
If Love never went down the Cavs never would have realized how good Tristan Thompson is. Losing Irving really hurts and it looks like Cavs just won't have enough healthy bodies to take the series, I picked Cavs going into series but think it probably would have been Warriors in 7. Cavs became a better defensive team with Love and Irving out but in the end they need the extra offense and bodies. It would have been a different style of series with them as well, they are liabilities on defense and it would have been a far more wide open high scoring style of play, this current Cavs group has to muck it up and they have done a very good job of making it ugly and forcing the Warriors to play that style. Would have been nice to see the Cavs fully healthy and I think it would have forced both teams to play better and it would have been a more fun series to watch.

Reaction Score
If Love never went down the Cavs never would have realized how good Tristan Thompson is. Losing Irving really hurts and it looks like Cavs just won't have enough healthy bodies to take the series, I picked Cavs going into series but think it probably would have been Warriors in 7. Cavs became a better defensive team with Love and Irving out but in the end they need the extra offense and bodies. It would have been a different style of series with them as well, they are liabilities on defense and it would have been a far more wide open high scoring style of play, this current Cavs group has to muck it up and they have done a very good job of making it ugly and forcing the Warriors to play that style. Would have been nice to see the Cavs fully healthy and I think it would have forced both teams to play better and it would have been a more fun series to watch.

You're probably right about Thompson, though I see no reason he and Love couldn't have co-existed. Definitely agree about the styles, this is probably played in the 120's with Love zooming outlet passes around the court and Irving jacking threes off the dribble. It has been kind of fun to watch the insane LeBron takeover, but I can't help that with all the injuries we were really deprived of some legendary series this season.

Reaction Score
Oh, sure, that's what happened. Green is a nut job, dirty and not likeable whatsoever.

JR got called for a flagrant on that play, the play where Della locked up Green's arm and brought him down he and Green were both called for a common foul.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It's been said before, but the thing this series will be remembered for is that LBJ was on the losing end again. Except for hardcore Cavs/LBJ supporters, few will remember it was Lebron and scrubs. As if MJ could've won with the same cast of characters (he wouldn't).

Reaction Score
It's been said before, but the thing this series will be remembered for is that LBJ was on the losing end again. Except for hardcore Cavs/LBJ supporters, few will remember it was Lebron and scrubs. As if MJ could've won with the same cast of characters (he wouldn't).
I highly doubt that. No one looks negatively at the '07 finals loss, and the Cavs got swept in that one. Sure, people will bring up LeBron being 2-4 in the finals all-time, but he won't be criticized if (when?) the Cavs end up losing this series.

Reaction Score
Oh, sure, that's what happened. Green is a nut job, dirty and not likeable whatsoever.

God, get your head out of Lebron's crevasse

if you don't think Dellavedova is a dirty SoB on the court, you need to open your eyes. He's embodying Bruce Bowen out there, they should kick him out of the league. In every series so far he's made a couple of clear dirty plays and not gotten called for them. You can't try to injure someone because they give you a hard pick or foul you, well you can, but it makes you a dirtbag. I'm not going to say Draymond is my favorite player the way he carries on, but I think what he's doing is exactly how Lebron and Wade acted in Miami, just overreacting every chance they get, but at least he's not trying to bust knees or trip people while he's on the ground like that scumbag Aussie

Reaction Score

Your opinion on that play but to keep calling out Della for his play while others are doing worst? He plays hard and has to in order to be on the court. Not sure if it's any more dirty than anyone else out there but you're all over him. There was worst is my point don't care about the call.

Reaction Score
God, get your head out of Lebron's crevasse

if you don't think Dellavedova is a dirty SoB on the court, you need to open your eyes. He's embodying Bruce Bowen out there, they should kick him out of the league. In every series so far he's made a couple of clear dirty plays and not gotten called for them. You can't try to injure someone because they give you a hard pick or foul you, well you can, but it makes you a dirtbag. I'm not going to say Draymond is my favorite player the way he carries on, but I think what he's doing is exactly how Lebron and Wade acted in Miami, just overreacting every chance they get, but at least he's not trying to bust knees or trip people while he's on the ground like that scumbag Aussie

I guess since I don't watch much, my question would be what is "dirty"? I have never seen intent to injure by Della especially in comparison to JR's forearm shiver to Green. I do see him clutching, tugging shirts, grabbing through picks but I also see others doing that. Is that dirty or a lack of refereeing? If you don't get called it's not dirty its smart. I'm not sticking up for him but everything he does Shumpert does also - is it a Cavs thing then in regards to "whatever it takes"? Amazed how come the underachieving Aussie gets the bullseye while the others get a free pass.

Reaction Score
If Love never went down the Cavs never would have realized how good Tristan Thompson is.
1. Not sure they didn't realize how good he is.
2. Not sure how good he is.
3. Where Love would have made a huge difference in this series is as an alternative scorer to LeBron. TT is a heckuva player, no doubt, and inside of 2.5 feet the guy is absolutely a deadly, slightly below average shooter. But the notion that the guy is a great defender is overblown - Curry scores on him at will, for every switch, and seems to be shooting 90% when 1 on 1 with him. Put Love in the game last night and he could post up at will, and force Bogut into the game, who would get eaten up on the outside.
It's easy to dismiss Love and look at TT, but TT is a floor jammer who can't create his own shot and is mediocre - at the very best - at catching and finishing in traffic. Love is a floor spacer who can hit from anywhere on the floor, can create his own shot from anywhere, can space the floor, can jam it inside, can post, can shoot, and, TO BOOT, can rebound as well as TT. Were TT's 5 o-boards nice last night? Sure. Great. Guy was -22 on the court.
In the end, it's not the Ws scoring that ended up killing the Cavs. If this series showed anything, it's showed that the Ws can be contained quite manageably, and you don't need a ton of talent to do it. What's killing the Cavs is very close to ZERO offense when LeBron doesn't handle and distribute.

Reaction Score
@TasteofUConn I agree with some of what you got here. But where I disagree is that containing the Warriors is easy. The Cavs played perfect defense Games 1-3 and won two games, but in each of those their defense fell apart in the 4th quarter, and in each of those they were playing people whose sole goal was to stop the Warriors. They slowed the Warriors, for sure, but it wasn't easy.

Playing Irving and Love would compromise the defense, but it would stanch the real problem, which I agree 100% with you on, which is the offense. Other than LeBron, they just haven't been able to muster enough points to make the Warriors work consistently on the defensive side. @superjohn talked about the spacing being better without Love. I never agreed with that. It's hard to get a true sense of who was right, though, because of the Irving injury, but I'm just not sold on that. Additionally, when playing small the Cavs could have put Love at the 5 and cleared the paint for LeBron and Irving--neither of which can be guarded 1-on-1.

Reaction Score
I swear this dude has never watched an NBA postseason before this one.

It's mid-June. These guys have played over 100 games this season, so it figures they won't be as sharp as they were in the regular season. Plus, the scouting today is off the charts, so these teams know each other extremely well.

Whenever teams with elite defenses play a series against one another, you're gonna get a lot of ugly basketball. Are there great spurts and individual play mixed in there? Of course, but it shouldn't be a surprise that the Warriors don't look as good going up against an elite defensive team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom