OT: Moving to NC | The Boneyard

OT: Moving to NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I know there's more than a couple Carolina transplants on here. I'm taking a job just outside Fayettevile and looking in the Southern Pines area to live. Any Advice?

Caught a little of the Roy Williams show in the rental car on the way down. Guy's a piece of work.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the state, there are a ton of northeastern transplants all over the state, many from CT. I own a real estate firm in the Charlotte area, not too familiar with the Fayetteville area so I am not of any help.

Reaction Score
I lived in NC for 7 years, several just north of FayetNam on I-95. The areas around Fayettville are fairly nice. Enjoy it.

As for advice:
-Don't sell all of your snow shovels as you will get the occasion 3" inch killer storm
-Make sure your house has central air
-Make sure central air unit is fairly new
-Buy a good lawn mower as grass only ceases to grow for 6 days (ok, closer to 10 weeks, but it will feel like 6 days)
-If you like sweeten ice tea, realize that is one word "Sweettea" or simply tea. If you ask for unsweetened, they will know you are not from the area.
-Do you like Jack Daniels? If not, learn to like Jack Daniels
- May I help you is a question, but it is also a single word "mepyou". People will ask this often, very friendly state
-1 out of every 3 people you meet will be former or current military.
-Do you like Jack Daniels?

Reaction Score
I live in Cary,Triangle, about 1-1.5 hours north. Cary is also called Yankeeville because of all the Northern transplants. In you play golf you are in heaven. Best golfing area in the state, Sandhills. Housing is very reasonable in SP. New construction between $100-130 a sq. ft. Welcome to NC, a great place to live.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Every single time you meet someone and tell them where you are from they will say "Oh really? I/My brother/College/Sister/Parents are from NY/CT!"

NC is great because despite the large amount of northern transplants the state has kept its southern culture. Make it a point to go to the coastline, make it a point to go to the mountains, and go to the areas surrounding NC as well.

One of the biggest differences I've noticed being from NC and having gone to school at UConn is that people from New England are routinely amazed at what people down here consider a "short" drive. My girlfriend came to visit last year and I told her we were heading to the beach. When I told her Wrightsville Beach is 3.5 hours from Charlotte she was shocked. People down here consider anything ~4 hours away to be a "short" drive.

Lots of friendly people. Fayetteville is near Ft Bragg therefore there is a HUGE military presence.

Good luck and welcome to the state. Haven't met a person yet who has made the decision to move to North Carolina. Between the weather, people, cost of living, and culture people seem to really enjoy themselves.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
dude is the human form of Huckleberry Hound

Thing that really, really sticks in my craw is that it's all an act. A shtick. Everyone once in a while he lets his guard down and you can see he's just a duckckin snake. I don't care who you are, just be genuine.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Yikes, is this the way a proud poppa finds out the decision is final. I knew I shouldn't have bought you those powder blue shorts when you were in the 8th grade.
You knew the decision was final, people on here think we don't talk.

Reaction Score
Not a lot of insight on Fayetteville area other than being right by Fort Bragg, but like Drew said, definitely explore the state. There's a lot of different things to do down here between the Mountains, Beach (Wrightsville is the best), lots of cool stuff in the cities to do such as Raleigh, Charlotte, Asheville etc. Lots of awesome golf all over the place. Lots of breweries. Just takes time to find stuff you might be used to in CT - definitely not as good pizza, bagels, chinese, delis, etc on average but you can definitely find sort of suitable ones if you look. However, delicious replacements such as BBQ, biscuits etc.

Drew

Reaction Score
Every single time you meet someone and tell them where you are from they will say "Oh really? I/My brother/College/Sister/Parents are from NY/CT!"

NC is great because despite the large amount of northern transplants the state has kept its southern culture. Make it a point to go to the coastline, make it a point to go to the mountains, and go to the areas surrounding NC as well.

One of the biggest differences I've noticed being from NC and having gone to school at UConn is that people from New England are routinely amazed at what people down here consider a "short" drive. My girlfriend came to visit last year and I told her we were heading to the beach. When I told her Wrightsville Beach is 3.5 hours from Charlotte she was shocked. People down here consider anything ~4 hours away to be a "short" drive.

Lots of friendly people. Fayetteville is near Ft Bragg therefore there is a HUGE military presence.

Good luck and welcome to the state. Haven't met a person yet who has made the decision to move to North Carolina. Between the weather, people, cost of living, and culture people seem to really enjoy themselves.

This should say "Haven't met a person yet who has regretted the decision to move to North Carolina"

Reaction Score
With all the UCONN people in NC and on the Bobcats, they might have to rename the team to the North Carolina Huskies. ;)

Reaction Score

^^^ This is VERY true. My friends would call and ask If I wanted to go to some club/bar. I would ask, how far away...answer was always "it's only an hour and 20 minutes or so." Just to go to a club...I thought they were nuts. A year later, anything under 2 hours was a very short/quick trip.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Welcome to the state, there are a ton of northeastern transplants all over the state, many from CT. I own a real estate firm in the Charlotte area, not too familiar with the Fayetteville area so I am not of any help.

Where would someone who happily lives in a 100 year old house in walkable Westville (New Haven) look in Charlotte? I know the answers in Louisville and imagine that Charlotte must have comparable neighborhoods. Oherwise, I think that Chapel Hill or Asheville would be the only paces in NC that I'd like and that can't be true.

Reaction Score
Where would someone who happily lives in a 100 year old house in walkable Westville (New Haven) look in Charlotte? I know the answers in Louisville and imagine that Charlotte must have comparable neighborhoods. Oherwise, I think that Chapel Hill or Asheville would be the only paces in NC that I'd like and that can't be true.

Depends on how much you want to spend. There are a lot of cool older neighborhoods around Charlotte that are close to downtown with really nice homes, the really desirable ones are a bit pricey. Some surrounding towns have historic areas with 100 yr old homes. You have to be careful when looking at older communities, some back up to less than desirable areas.

Drew

Reaction Score

You want to live in the city or the suburbs?

Suburbs I would say definitely check out the Ballantyne area. Really nice homes and a growing development area with TONS of insurance companies based out of there. There is a large corporate park (Ballantyne Corporate Park) meaning there is still a ton of action going on in the area most of the time. Other areas include Myers Park (beautiful, more traditional older homes in Charlotte), South Park, and Matthews area.

If you want to live in uptown, you can also do so for relatively cheap. You can buy a brand new condo in the heart of uptown with two beds starting at ~$250k, going up from there. There are tons of town homes being built around the area, South End and Dilworth come to mind as areas that are close to uptown where you can find homes/town homes for good prices and be in uptown within 10 minutes. There are also lots of apartments/homes being built in the "NODA" area but that is mostly younger people with artsy interests.

If you want to be near the lake, Davidson/Lake Norman area is extremely popular. The traffic in the morning sucks but if you're willing to come in from Cornelius/Huntersville/Davidson you can find nice homes near/on the water for very reasonable prices.

Hope this helps. There is a LOT to like about living in Charlotte. Lots of good professional opportunities and the city is young and clean. If you want/need help or are seriously considering a move, I would be happy to answer any questions/thoughts you might have.

Reaction Score
Welcome to NC! I've been down here eight years now, no looking back. Hope you enjoy it as much as I (and all the others on this thread) do.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

So true across most of America outside of the Boston-Washington corridor. If you can leave home at sunrise and be at destination by lunch, it's a short drive.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I almost moved to Charlotte for my company a while back but decided to to find a new job and stay in CT. Actually my love of UCONN, especially basketball was a major factor in me staying in CT. Just don't become a UNC fan......or I cringe at the thought......a Dukie....

Reaction Score
southern pines is a real nice area. I lived in chapel hill and worked in Sanford (about an hour from fayet'nam), but spent a good bit of time in Fayetteville while my now wife was doing work there for pharmacy school. Fayetteville is a pretty lousy place overall (locals are a rough crowd, and they really don't get along with the army guys), but there's some nicer pockets.

Enjoy the awesome golf, and good luck with the summers...they suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22