OT Moonrise Kingdom | The Boneyard

OT Moonrise Kingdom

Reaction Score
Has anyone here seen it yet?

I thought it was the worst movie I've ever paid for, but it's been getting GREAT reviews, so I'm curious to hear people's thoughts.

Reaction Score
Has anyone here seen it yet?

I thought it was the worst movie I've ever paid for, but it's been getting GREAT reviews, so I'm curious to hear people's thoughts.
Maybe not the worst, but pretty close. Was looking forward to seeing it. Good actors , off beat and a quirky plot. Very disappointed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought it was great, I loved it. But Wes Anderson is an acquired taste. His movies improve with repeated viewings.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Maybe not the worst, but pretty close. Was looking forward to seeing it. Good actors , off beat and a quirky plot. Very disappointed.

Good actors, offbeat, and a quirky plot doesn't add up to very disappointed for me. It's a Wes Anderson movie; they're pretty much like this. It's like my petty much expecting a Christopher Nolan movie to be long, loud, violent and maybe confusing. For some, that's a good thing.

Reaction Score
i liked rushmore but his other movies seem like u have to be a hipster in brooklyn to appreciate the quirkiness

Reaction Score
Good actors, offbeat, and a quirky plot doesn't add up to very disappointed for me. It's a Wes Anderson movie; they're pretty much like this. It's like my petty much expecting a Christopher Nolan movie to be long, loud, violent and maybe confusing. For some, that's a good thing.
My point was that with good actors, offbeat and quirky plot, i was expecting to enjoy it. As I stated above not the worst movie I ever saw, but pretty close. I hope that clears things up for you. Again only my opinion, my wife loved it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm in the middle. Quirky is a mild description. I liked the offbeat relationship between the runaways, thought Norton and Willis were good, and as a different sort of rite of passage theme a different kind of more interesting than not. I liked it better than my wife did. I would put myself in the 75% okay range. I still wonder why the kids were in scout camp in September.

Reaction Score
I thought it was great, I loved it. But Wes Anderson is an acquired taste. His movies improve with repeated viewings.
I'm familiar enough with Anderson's films, and can at least understand why some of his other ones were well-received.

But I can't for the life of me figure out why people love this film. There wasn't a single part that made me laugh. Not one.

Just my opinion, and since so many people seem to have enjoyed it, I was curious to get other people's reactions.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen it yet, but my wife liked it- although she did say it wasn't her favorite Anderson film.

Rushmore is my favorite and I really liked the Royal Tennenbaums (sp?) and Bottlerocket too.

I just re-watched the Life Aquatic about a month ago and liked it a lot! I didn't think much of it the first time.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I thought it was terrific.

But I am clever and sophisticated and some of you are dense and simple.

Michael Bay is no doubt working on something that will be more to your liking.

Reaction Score
I'm familiar enough with Anderson's films, and can at least understand why some of his other ones were well-received.

But I can't for the life of me figure out why people love this film. There wasn't a single part that made me laugh. Not one.

Just my opinion, and since so many people seem to have enjoyed it, I was curious to get other people's reactions.

You are not alone in having been firmly underwhelmed by MK. Agree with someone above in especially liking Norton and to a lesser extent Willis. Frances McDormand was wasted, I thought, in a too-vaguely sketched role, and Bill Murray's sad ennui wore thin for me as well.

In a sense, it was as Wes Andersonian as anything else he's made (pretty palette, hyper-rich tableaus, themes of child-parent alienation, etc.), but neither my wife nor I could bring ourselves to care about the kids or their journey.

SPOILER ALERT:

There was a point in their journey, after a lot of shots of them stepping over streams and what not, when they first settle down and eat hotdogs or something and then are preciously and precociously bantering. Right there I got a sinking/panicked feeling that THIS was it: the movie wasn't getting any deeper than this. The centerpiece was this very slight dalliance. Didn't work for me.

Thought the Schwarzman interlude - and the marriage - at the other summer camp was unfunny and indulgent to the point of baffling.

Schwarzman, Murray - a lot of this seemed like fan-masturbatory retread, fitted onto a kid mobile. One quintessentially Andersonian touch - that in earlier years or in a more engaging movie I would've no doubt admired - came right after the dog gets killed in the forest after the scout troop fails to apprehend the fugitive pair:

The boy and girl lean over to eulogize the animal.

The girl says something like: "He was a good dog."

The boy, very philosophically, replies: "Who can say?"

Good line, of course, but, to use the parlance of film geeks, "unearned" I thought. Not a bad film by any stretch, but very slight and a little disappointing for me.

I wonder where in Rhode Island this was shot? It seemed like a Block Island-type world, but all the forest and stone and stuff suggest it was inland somewhere.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I haven't seen Moonrise Kingdom yet... but with his movies I either love it or it misses completely. I loved Life Aquatic (the soundtrack is awesome) and Royal Tenenbaums but was just annoyed by Bottle Rocket. My wife doesn't like any of them.

Reaction Score
odd odd odd.... kind of liked it. it was odd like Harold and Maude..

wife rented it..

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No one captures a group walking in slow-motion quite like Wes Anderson.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed it and found it quite adorable, but as others have said, Wes Anderson tends to get a lot of love/hate. I don't love all of his movies, but I am a fan.

Reaction Score
I've seen a few other Wes Anderson movies, and for the most part I thought they were ok but nothing more, the exception being "Life Acquatic.." which I did not care for at all. However, I saw Moonrise Kingdom earlier this year and it hit the spot for me. I loved it, it is one of the best films I have seen this year.

Reaction Score
Life aquatic, rushmore, and the royal tenenbaums: all classics. moonrise kingdom is not WA's best. maybe it'll grow on me, it's nice to look at ill say.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I just finished watching this. Holy crap what crap. If you like this you probably like Merlot and Brie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom