OT: Mark Aguirre: Still a fan, but calls state of DePaul basketball ‘unconscionable' | The Boneyard

OT: Mark Aguirre: Still a fan, but calls state of DePaul basketball ‘unconscionable'

Reaction Score
Here's a hit piece on DePaul basketball. It reminded me of how Dan Orlovsky was thrust into the spotlight on UConn basketball.

Aguirre told this guy “Everyone has their own opinions,” he said, “but I don’t think it’s right for me to make my opinions of that known.”

And still that reporter writes an article with the headline: "Mark Aguirre: Still a fan, but calls state of DePaul basketball ‘unconscionable’"

All that being said, I hope UConn learns from these stories and does something soon to make sure a DePaul-esque collapse doesn't happen here. Being in NBE hasn't helped their recruiting much at all. It's ALL about the captain of the ship. They are in a deep hole.

Mark Aguirre: Still a fan, but calls state of DePaul basketball ‘unconscionable’

Last edited:

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Pretty funny. They haven't been any good in 30 years since Meyer coached.

Reaction Score
Didn’t realize they ever had a real program. Maybe not making the NIT as consistently? I kid.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
The leadership at DePaul has made many mistakes since their heyday. They've made two good ones recently. They rehired Dave Leitao who in first tenure had them going in the right direction. They made the NCAA tourney where they were beaten by UConn. He took the Virginia job after that season. I think Leitao is at an age where he will not be looking for the next job if he gets DePaul good again. Also, they built an excellent arena in downtown Chicago. It's not on campus but it's closer and easier for the students to attend. I went to the Nova game and I'm going to the Marquette game on Saturday. I thought the team would be better this year but I do think Leitao has them in the right direction. I wouldn't make a direct comparison to UConn because Depaul has never looked at athletics the way UConn does. Even in the Ray Meyers years they relied on local kids like Aguirre. Now with AAU ball and nationwide recruiting the Blue Demons have a hard time attracting any local talent. Maybe a Chicago deep dish pizza recruiting strategy would work.

Reaction Score
DePaul = St. John's. All the talent in the world in the backyard and can't keep it home.

DePaul has a slightly better campus.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I really like Dave Leitao and wish he had remained in the UConn family
That being said.......
Who cares about what Mark Aguirre thinks about DePaul
DePaul since 1970 has had what, 2 or 3 decent years?
They are not St Johns - the Johnnies have had a much higher level of success
I do wish Dave L all the best

Reaction Score
I really like Dave Leitao and wish he had remained in the UConn family
That being said..
Who cares about what Mark Aguirre thinks about DePaul
DePaul since 1970 has had what, 2 or 3 decent years?
They are not St Johns - the Johnnies have had a much higher level of success
I do wish Dave L all the best
Actually, that run by DePaul lasted 17 years, from 75-76, to 91-92. They made the NCAAs 14 times, and 2 of the years they missed, they won 20, and 21 games. They were very much in the same neighborhood as St. John's during that era, finishing in the Top 5 six times to the Johnnies four. Now, historically, outside of those 17 years, plus the mid 40s when Mikan was there, St. John's has been much better, but during that 17 year stretch, DePaul was a serious program

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Actually, that run by DePaul lasted 17 years, from 75-76, to 91-92. They made the NCAAs 14 times, and 2 of the years they missed, they won 20, and 21 games. They were very much in the same neighborhood as St. John's during that era, finishing in the Top 5 six times to the Johnnies four. Now, historically, outside of those 17 years, plus the mid 40s when Mikan was there, St. John's has been much better, but during that 17 year stretch, DePaul was a serious program
In all candor, over that stretch they were clearly better than St John's.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I just read an article about coaches on the hot seat and Leitao was on it (KO too). I'd be surprised if DePaul got rid of him. He is tight with the AD and as long as she is there he has a couple of more years to turn it around. DePaul is the largest Catholic University in the country but the athletic department is very insular. It's like a mom and pop store vs. Walmart. I do think the new arena will help. The travel time is about the same as Storrs to Hartford and the old is kind of a #$%& house. I wish I could compare to another arena . . .

Reaction Score
In all candor, over that stretch they were clearly better than St John's.
You know who else outdid St. John's while Louie was there, Houston under Guy Lewis. Five Final Fours, all while Louie was at St. John's. If St. John's was having the season Houston is, the media would be all over the "rebirth" at St. John's. Not a peep about the former powerhouse at Houston coming back to life. I knew when they hired Sampson, they were serious about getting back in the mix. This league really needs to change the narrative by leaving some bodies on the sidewalk this March.

Reaction Score
It’s apples and oranges. The world in general was so different. Back in those days, tv was local and recruiting was highly localized as well. Kids weren’t traveling on AAU teams all over the country every week of the summer, sneaker companies weren’t involved in sending kids to certain programs and kids looked at college as a four year commitment. Local kids tended to stay local and programs like St Johns and DePaul benefitted greatly from that. Illinois benefitted greatly from the Chicago pipeline as well. Fast forward to a world of different options and to a world where the Chicago Public School system is a shell of its former self and well, ladies and gentlemen, your DePaul Blue Demons....

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
When you think of Depaul's glory days, Aguirre is who you think of. Aguirre, Terry Cummings, guards like Clyde Bradshaw, Kenny Patterson, eventually Comegys and of course Rod Strickland, Coach Meyer and the flyest uniforms this side of Marquette. Designed to be worn outside, their gear could not be beat at that time.

Reaction Score
When you think of Depaul's glory days, Aguirre is who you think of. Aguirre, Terry Cummings, guards like Clyde Bradshaw, Kenny Patterson, eventually Comegys and of course Rod Strickland, Coach Meyer and the flyest uniforms this side of Marquette. Designed to be worn outside, their gear could not be beat at that time.
The player who really put DePaul back on the map was Dave Corzine, the big 6'11" center. They started winning big again when he got there, which is what opened the door for them to get players like Aguirre and Cummings.

Reaction Score
DePaul = St. John's. All the talent in the world in the backyard and can't keep it home.

DePaul has a slightly better campus.
Guess you haven’t noticed who they’ve been beating? Mullen could be on the way back and keeping some of those.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom