OT- Louisville stadium expansion | The Boneyard

OT- Louisville stadium expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I cant remember which thread I saw it in but I guess they approved an expansion to the stadium. looks like Seattle seahawks stadium.

Reaction Score
I cant remember which thread I saw it in but I guess they approved an expansion to the stadium. looks like Seattle seahawks stadium.

WOW! Now that is Big Time!!!
What a facility.

Reaction Score
And there is the Catch-22 that UConn just hasn't been willing to commit to. Did L'Ville get in a P-5 conference (instead of UConn) because it's willingness to undertake things expanding its fairly new stadium? OR, are they enjoying expansion because of their P5 $$$$$ - definitely more money than UConn make per annum as it struggles to position itself to find acceptance in a power conference? The "take away" from all this . . . . will Cincy be the next L'Ville since they are doing similar facilities things while UConn plays . . . . well . . . . UConn (no plan to do anything with their stadium) as it flounders in the next round of conference realignment still bitching about Rutgers and BC?

Reaction Score
And there is the Catch-22 that UConn just hasn't been willing to commit to. Did L'Ville get in a P-5 conference (instead of UConn) because it's willingness to undertake things expanding its fairly new stadium? OR, are they enjoying expansion because of their P5 $$$$$ - definitely more money than UConn make per annum as it struggles to position itself to find acceptance in a power conference? The "take away" from all this . . . . will Cincy be the next L'Ville since they are doing similar facilities things while UConn plays . . . . well . . . . UConn (no plan to do anything with their stadium) as it flounders in the next round of conference realignment still bitching about Rutgers and BC?

I met with our foundation guys right after we lost out to Louisville. They said one of the key factors (other than some key members really trying to block us) was Louisville's commitment to athletics / facilities. They had something like $200 million of facilities that were either already built or in process with funding in place. Basically every single LV sports team had pretty much a brand new class A facility. UCONN had (and has) a lot of plans - but we were way behind. And still - as great as it is going we don't have soccer funded, we don't have anything for baseball, etc. To the extent that this was an arms race re: money/facilities/commitment - they had us hands down. I remember posting about this at the time but people were so convinced it was Warde being asleep that I got shouted down.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="J187Money, post: 1568504, member: 718" but people were so convinced it was Warde being asleep that I got shouted down.[/QUOTE]

... get it right - he wasn't sleeping, he was drinking umbrella drinks in the USVI. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I met with our foundation guys right after we lost out to Louisville. They said one of the key factors (other than some key members really trying to block us) was Louisville's commitment to athletics / facilities. They had something like $200 million of facilities that were either already built or in process with funding in place. Basically every single LV sports team had pretty much a brand new class A facility. UCONN had (and has) a lot of plans - but we were way behind. And still - as great as it is going we don't have soccer funded, we don't have anything for baseball, etc. To the extent that this was an arms race re: money/facilities/commitment - they had us hands down. I remember posting about this at the time but people were so convinced it was Warde being asleep that I got shouted down.

You are so correct. Imagine one single variable in the recruiting process . . . an outstanding prospect touring Rentschler Field and then a week later (or two weeks earlier) touring the expanded L'Ville Stadium. It's over before it gets started in most cases.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
... get it right - he wasn't sleeping, he was drinking umbrella drinks in the USVI. ;)
Piña Coladas, if I recall correctly.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I must be in the minority but I've never understood the appeal of sitting in an end zone seat 40 rows up or on a second tier of an end zone.

Reaction Score
I must be in the minority but I've never understood the appeal of sitting in an end zone seat 40 rows up or on a second tier of an end zone.

I like the end zone seats because it is the same perspective at the game is played. That and they are usually cheaper :)

Reaction Score
Not really new news...

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...-stadium-expansion-capital-campaign/79814036/

Requisite poke @ AAC:

>>Tom Jurich said U of L's move to the ACC makes expanding the stadium sensible and that if the Cards were still in the American Athletic Conference "we'd be putting this on hold." "I think the ACC has been an incredible shot in the arm for this entire community for us, and it's certainly exceeded all our expectations," he said. "The great thing about the ACC is it's really fueled our fan base."<<

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Louisville's commitment to putting its money into the two sports that matter most in college athletics is very impressive. Crack all the jokes we want about their academic reputation and their corrupt culture (and we will!), but they play basketball in a beautiful arena in front of packed houses every night and play football in a loud, NFL sized stadium in a sea of red and black. I wish our athletic department would fund football on the same scale. UL now has had 2 major expansions to their stadium since our own stadium opened. That is very impressive.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Louisville's commitment to putting its money into the two sports that matter most in college athletics is very impressive. Crack all the jokes we want about their academic reputation and their corrupt culture (and we will!), but they play basketball in a beautiful arena in front of packed houses every night and play football in a loud, NFL sized stadium in a sea of red and black. I wish our athletic department would fund football on the same scale. UL now has had 2 major expansions to their stadium since our own stadium opened. That is very impressive.
Of course for the city of Louisville, stadium expansion left them seeing just red, with very little hope of getting into the black.

Reaction Score
You are so correct. Imagine one single variable in the recruiting process . . . an outstanding prospect touring Rentschler Field and then a week later (or two weeks earlier) touring the expanded L'Ville Stadium. It's over before it gets started in most cases.
You forgot the hookers

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Not really new news...

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...-stadium-expansion-capital-campaign/79814036/

Requisite poke @ AAC:

>>Tom Jurich said U of L's move to the ACC makes expanding the stadium sensible and that if the Cards were still in the American Athletic Conference "we'd be putting this on hold." "I think the ACC has been an incredible shot in the arm for this entire community for us, and it's certainly exceeded all our expectations," he said. "The great thing about the ACC is it's really fueled our fan base."<<
The news was the video of the potential design...

Reaction Score
I wonder what type of 'professional' attendants Louisville will provide its fans who buy suits and if those suites will be divided into small cubicles with curtains in front?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Louisville is a different situation; they have a mid-size metro area with no pro sports teams.

Hey ..........

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You've got to give them credit, they are absolutely all in on football and basketball. They hired a scumbag of a football coach that literally no other p5 program would touch and stick with a hoop coach who obviously oversaw a recruiting process that provided hookers to high school kids. They simply don't give a CK about anything but winning. Kind of sad but kind of impressive.

Reaction Score
A couple of the best concerts I ever went to were in Louisville, summer of 1978 at the old fairgrounds. Summer Jams I & II. Steve Miller, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner & Thin Lizzy in one and Ted Nugent, Journey, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, Eddie Money(sucked) & Star Castle(which was a Yes sounding band with originals) in the other.

Reaction Score
A couple of the best concerts I ever went to were in Louisville, summer of 1978 at the old fairgrounds. Summer Jams I & II. Steve Miller, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner & Thin Lizzy in one and Ted Nugent, Journey, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, Eddie Money(sucked) & Star Castle(which was a Yes sounding band with originals) in the other.
Wow-lol. I wouldn't want to see and hear any of those artists if I was paid to do so. I give you credit for attending. There must have been some extracurricular activities involved.

Reaction Score
It was the 70's and I was stationed at Ft Knox(about 30 miles south of Louisville). Summer, outdoor concerts, young women wearing short shorts and not much else. It was fun.

Aren't women the reason to go to summer concerts regardless of the type of music or the decade? Before kids, I used to go to SPAC regularly in upstate NY for various rock/grunge concerts in the '90's and have many great memories.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Shortly after joining the Big East (when PJ was still ~41k) Louisville announced expansion plans to their fan base with an eventual capacity of ~72k that would need at least two phases (the first was completed ~ 2010).

Having P-5 status has helped, but I believe more so due to the ability to justify another expansion than the conference funds helping cover the costs.

A huge difference between the two schools (UL & us) a decade ago was that they were willing to publicize their aspirations while we preferred to remain quiet. Part of this I imagine was due to our state preferring not to mention things that may create waves. Part I'm sure was due to lack of leadership at the top (president) and part was due to the AD knowing if he publicly stated he had aspirations he would then need to act on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom