OT: Life After Storrs Mir McLean, one of the leaders on the undefeated Virginia squad | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Life After Storrs Mir McLean, one of the leaders on the undefeated Virginia squad

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Nina Davis.

View attachment 81359
Former All-American Nina Davis named assistant coach for MTSU women's basketball
I've never been crazy about many Baylor players, but I loved Nina Davis and Nae Nae Haden, the Baylor version of Kelly Faris. I was disappointed neither stuck in the W.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She probably would not be playing much here, so move to Virginia has been good for her and UVA. I'm just glad that players like Mir and Saylor had the courage to leave, and go where they could get back to playing the game again. Same for Sadie Edwards, Espinoza-Hunter, and Samarie Walker. For whatever reasons, they probably would not have gotten major minutes at UConn. Can't blame any of them for wanting to be on the court.
I say that on a regular basis because it's true................players want to play!!. No one comes to UConn to be a cheerleader. Sometimes a player will commit to a program only to find out it's not a good fit for them. There's no harm in that. The harm would be in staying. You named several players that read the writing on the wall, or the tea leaves and realized there would not be a lot of playing time in their future at UConn, so they left.

McLean, Edwards, Walker, Butler, and Espinosa-Hunter all became starters at their new schools. They just wanted to play, so they found a coach and program that would allow them to do that. You can't fault or bad-mouth a kid that just wants to play. What do we say here in the yard all the time?.......................UConn is not for everyone. :confused: Get in where you fit in. ;)

Reaction Score
Geno really never gave her an opportunity because I believe she could of done well at uconn. Probably not at the level she's playing at Virginia but if she's doing this in the ACC she definitely could of been a factor in the Big East
I thought that the ISLAMIC STUDIES Major at UCONN would be the thing to keep her in Storrs. Must
be a good one at UVA! also... Autumn's new school XAVIER of Louisiana (New Orleans) has
a great reputation for getting their scholars into Medical School. Autumn could come back
as our team physician!

Reaction Score
Virginia is 9-0. Mir McLean is nearly averaging a double double. In her last game, she had 24 points and 13 rebounds. If Huskyland doesn't work out, nice to see players thrive elsewhere.
Glad she's doing well.

Reaction Score
Virginia is 9-0. Mir McLean is nearly averaging a double double. In her last game, she had 24 points and 13 rebounds. If Huskyland doesn't work out, nice to see players thrive elsewhere.
She started for UVA last year, as well.

Reaction Score
As a season ticket holder for UVA woman’s basketball, I’ve seen Mir play live multiple times. While the competition hasn’t been the toughest, her skills are pretty clear. Her motor never stops, she’s incredibly good at taking charges, she leaps out of stadium, she positions well for rebounds and she has excellent moves around the basket. On top of all that, she has an infectious smile. So far this year, I’d say she’s been UVA’s best all around player. Much more impressive than Brunelle. The comparison of Mir being a slightly smaller version of Griffin are spot on. I’ve made the same comment to my wife.

I’ll look forward to seeing how she does against better competition and bigger players. Almost all of UVA’s opponents this year have had relatively small lineups. Few “bigs” taller than 6’2”. I won’t be expecting regular double doubles… but who knows. Bottom line, she just fun to watch.

Reaction Score
They’ve already gotten some votes and Charlie even has them in the tourney. They do play tough defense, but I think mid level ACC standings is their ceiling.

Reaction Score
I’m happy for Mir. The talent was always inside her, but something never clicked between her and UConn. I’m also happy Sam Brunelle is thriving in her return home.

I’m really impressed how quickly UVA has righted the ship after Tina Thompson’s departure. Her tenure was a dumpster fire that could have smoldered for years. Coach Mox has done a great job.
From what I’ve heard Coach Mox is a “players first” type of coach. Apparently TIna wasn’t that type. You can tell that the players love playing for Mox.

Reaction Score
I believe Mir's biggest problem was the year older, 2 inch taller, similarly skilled Aubrey. Mir provided nothing over what Aubrey brought. It was a good thing to get out from under Aubrey's shadow. I understand she is a high quality lady.
Maybe that is the case being a smaller version of AG but I still think if she'd played more she would of gotten better and better. But either way I'm happy for her as she is playing so well at Virginia

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
From what I’ve heard Coach Mox is a “players first” type of coach. Apparently TIna wasn’t that type. You can tell that the players love playing for Mox.
There's a lot to be said for a bottom-up rather than top-down approach to coaching. By that I don't mean let the players run roughshod over the coaching staff, but the players' talents need to guide the coaches. I think Tina tried a single approach, and when that didn't work, she tried it again.

UVA already has almost twice as many victories as all of last season. I agree with you that middle-of-the-pack ACC is about right, but that's a remarkable turnaround from last year.

Reaction Score
Maybe that is the case being a smaller version of AG but I still think if she'd played more she would of gotten better and better. But either way I'm happy for her as she is playing so well at Virginia
I'm happy for her too. But when it comes to bench players- where/when do you draw the line? Years back Jim Calhoun used to go on WTIC and was asked why he wasn't playing a big German Center that was pretty raw. The way the question was phrased that if Calhoun played him, he'd get better. Calhoun agreed and said he can certainly play him, but it would be at the expense of losing games to make him better. He said if that is what the Admin and Fanbase wants he could do it. Thus playing the German kid would be an expense from growing other of the core players.

The UCONN women can't afford this. Look at the Tenn game two years ago when we needed Paige to hit that huge 3. Maybe more minutes for Mir and less for Aubrey causes the loss. Then with a loss like that it probably means an eventual lower seeding. Or maybe if you cut into Aubrey’s minutes then she doesn't draw that big Offensive Foul vs Baylor. Or maybe Mir takes away minutes from Edwards too- and think of all the clutch plays we've had from Edwards over the last few years. Or Mir at the expense of Liv (moving Edwards to Center) who certainly was a performer late in her sr year during NCAA's. The minutes for LIv and Edwards were/have been crucial to team's past/current success. Thus playing Mir more would be an expense from growing other of the core players. And now if you lose earlier, you lose future premiere recruits.

Just like Butler, Mir, just wasn't an overall good fit to get time for a team with aspirational Title hopes if minutes was the need. Even right now as well as she is doing, where would UCONN put her once Dorka comes back? And if there were no injuries to Paige and Ice, she would be further down the bench. Not her fault. And absolutely wish her the best. She is an exciting player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm happy for her too. But when it comes to bench players- where/when do you draw the line? Years back Jim Calhoun used to go on WTIC and was asked why he wasn't playing a big German Center that was pretty raw. The way the question was phrased that if Calhoun played him, he'd get better. Calhoun agreed and said he can certainly play him, but it would be at the expense of losing games to make him better. He said if that is what the Admin and Fanbase wants he could do it. Thus playing the German kid would be an expense from growing other of the core players.

The UCONN women can't afford this. Look at the Tenn game two years ago when we needed Paige to hit that huge 3. Maybe more minutes for Mir and less for Aubrey causes the loss. Then with a loss like that it probably means an eventual lower seeding. Or maybe if you cut into Aubrey’s minutes then she doesn't draw that big Offensive Foul vs Baylor. Or maybe Mir takes away minutes from Edwards too- and think of all the clutch plays we've had from Edwards over the last few years. Or Mir at the expense of Liv (moving Edwards to Center) who certainly was a performer late in her sr year during NCAA's. The minutes for LIv and Edwards were/have been crucial to team's past/current success. Thus playing Mir more would be an expense from growing other of the core players. And now if you lose earlier, you lose future premiere recruits.

Just like Butler, Mir, just wasn't an overall good fit to get time for a team with aspirational Title hopes if minutes was the need. Even right now as well as she is doing, where would UCONN put her once Dorka comes back? And if there were no injuries to Paige and Ice, she would be further down the bench. Not her fault. And absolutely wish her the best. She is an exciting player.

Then players will continue to leave, and, hopefully, injuries won't leave the team short. That's always the gamble when you play only 7 or 8 players. Fortunately, for the players, the transfer rules have changed, making their decision to leave easier. If coaches can stockpile players, and also use the transfer portal, then players should have the option to go where they can play, without having to sit out.

Reaction Score
On
You can’t say what kind of a chance Geno gave her. Right? Unless you were there and I assume you weren’t?
I can it's my opinion iwatched every game and call it like I seen. Like I said Mir should of has more time in a uconn uniform. And she's proven it
You can’t say what kind of a chance Geno gave her. Right? Unless you were there and I assume you weren’t?
I

Reaction Score
On

I can it's my opinion iwatched every game and call it like I seen. Like I said Mir should of has more time in a uconn uniform. And she's proven it

I
If most people disagree with you but you believe, I guess that make you right?

Reaction Score
On

I
No she hasn't - not even close. imo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom