OT: LeBron returning to the Cavaliers | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: LeBron returning to the Cavaliers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Cavs probably won't need to trade Wiggins. Why would they? Fact is, Minnesota simply doesn't have enough leverage since Love is gone after this season. The ONLY way that the Cavs may have to budge on Wiggins is if Klay Thompson is offered up by Golden State. Otherwise, there's a good shot that the Cavs pull it off either through a straight up deal or 3-team trade.
Nonsense. Minnesota has all the leverage. They have atleast 6 teams interested in Love and surely the price will go up. Cleveland shouldn't waste their time without beginning the phone call with the words Andrew Wiggins.

Reaction Score
if cleveland trades wiggins for love, damn. yeah that would be pretty dumb. trading waiters and bennett is one thing...

Reaction Score
According to espn Bosh is finalizing deal to stay with the Heat.

Reaction Score
According to espn Bosh is finalizing deal to stay with the Heat.

They are also saying Wade is working on a deal to provide "maximum flexibility". Hold on to your butts time for Knickerbocker fans?

Reaction Score
Keeping with tradition, our All-Americans who win titles end up on train wreck franchises. Now 4-for-4 (at least Rip was traded to Detroit).

So much for that. Bosh is heading back to Miami and Wade is supposedly taking a discount to make room for more. Who knows, when all is said and done, the Heat might still be the favorites in the east.

Reaction Score
I think the Heat should snag Gasol and sign Stephenson to an offer sheet.

Cole/Bazz
Wade
Stephenson/Granger
Bosh/McRoberts/Haslem
Gasol/Anderson

Add a 2 and a 3 who can bombs 3s plus a veteran PG (Jameer Nelson?) and we will have Heat vs Cavs in the ECF.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He's already proven to be a better basketball player than I thought he was (always thought he was great, questioned greatest), but I've also gotta admit that he's a better human being than I thought he was. Good for him. This took big balls, an impressive display of humility and a level of maturity way beyond his years.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Melo to Cleveland for Wiggins? Knicks can rebuild. Melo and James united at last. Huh? Eh? Meh

Reaction Score
but terrible for his legacy.
You speak too soon, grasshopper.
And, also, he made it clear that he doesn't care as much about his basketball "legacy" as he does about living his life the way he wants to.

My respect for him grew substantially with this decision and the basis underpinning it.

Reaction Score
Would be interesting if Melo, Bosh and Wade end up in Miami.
I would love for this to happen because, when Miami failed to make the playoffs, it would demonstrate both the greatness of LBJ and the crapiness of Melo.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You speak too soon, grasshopper.
And, also, he made it clear that he doesn't care as much about his basketball "legacy" as he does about living his life the way he wants to.

My respect for him grew substantially with this decision and the basis underpinning it.

You're giving him too much credit. This was all very well done by LBJ's PR team. Adam Mendelsohn, his publicist, should get most of the plaudits.

Give LBJ credit for this though: he quickly figured out that relying on his 'boys' to run his PR was a huge mistake, and promptly got a hired gun.

The most managed athlete of our time.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/07/lebron-james-adam-mendelsohn?utm_campaign=complexsports socialflow 07 2014&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nonsense. Minnesota has all the leverage. They have atleast 6 teams interested in Love and surely the price will go up. Cleveland shouldn't waste their time without beginning the phone call with the words Andrew Wiggins.

No, they don't have all the leverage. You don't have much leverage when you have a player that is signed for only one more season and is vocal that he's likely to walk.

Six teams interested or not, no one is going to give up much to get a guy they might have for only one year.

If Cleveland doesn't budge, they get to keep Wiggins, Waiters, Bennett and draft picks. But if Minnesota is too choosy with these teams, they run the risk of losing Love without getting anything in return. Bottom line is that Minnesota does not have a lot of leverage. They can't demand one player from any given team with running the risk they lose any prospective deals because they made such demands.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Totally disagree. He was the best player on those teams. He's the best player on the planet. Now that he's got the rings, he's heading home.

I wonder, did you read the article?

Yea I read it, very well written. Doesn't change his past tho. I'm curious as to why it's ok for people to accept that the best player on the planet formed a border line all star team to win two rings then returns home. He's going to try and bring a championship home, that's a given. But he really doesn't have nearly as much pressure now. He's got his rings and now returns to Cleveland and everyone is happy for him. Maybe it's me, but I don't see how any of this is right. How what he did not only set a precedent of it being ok to take the easy road to get a ring when you're one of the top players in the road, but also jumping back and forth from two different teams is also acceptable. I'm a 80's and 90's fan. Closest thing I can remember was Shaq leaving for LA but nothing like this has ever been done and it's very disturbing that no one else sees anything wrong with this.

Maybe it's just me.

Reaction Score
JaYnYcE said:
Yea I read it, very well written. Doesn't change his past tho. I'm curious as to why it's ok for people to accept that the best player on the planet formed a border line all star team to win two rings then returns home. He's going to try and bring a championship home, that's a given. But he really doesn't have nearly as much pressure now. He's got his rings and now returns to Cleveland and everyone is happy for him. Maybe it's me, but I don't see how any of this is right. How what he did not only set a precedent of it being ok to take the easy road to get a ring when you're one of the top players in the road, but also jumping back and forth from two different teams is also acceptable. I'm a 80's and 90's fan. Closest thing I can remember was Shaq leaving for LA but nothing like this has ever been done and it's very disturbing that no one else sees anything wrong with this. Maybe it's just me.

You're putting artificial morality and right and wrong into places where it doesn't exist. It's a cold-blooded business and everyone has the right to do what's in their best interest, since things can turn on you on a dime. Just taking Ray's history since I'm familiar with it, but he tried to build something in Milwaukee (signing a long term deal without an agent and not even listening to other offers), but then George Karl wanted to bring his old pet Gary Payton in, so Ray was dealt. Then he tried to build something in Seattle and almost reached contender status, but they didn't pay to keep the coach or some key free agents, hired replacements on the cheap and eventually brought in new ownership who blew everything up and he was dealt again (and now the Sonics don't even exist). If he had it to do over with the advantage of hindsight, would he resign in Milwaukee out of loyalty if, say, the Spurs offered him the chance to play his career with Duncan? Caron might have liked to have spent his career with Wade in Miami, but they had a chance for Shaq and off he went. James might have liked to spend his entire career in Cleveland, but in seven years they failed terribly at finding a Pippen type of co-pilot and there was no help of the horizon. Garnett was probably the guy in the most similar situation of going it alone in Minnesota without much help, and he hung on the loyalty ideal for a while, but when the chance came to join a winner, he ripped up the no-trade clause and signed on.

And 90s basketball wasn't exactly pure idealism either. The Jordan Bulls hated the Bad Boy Pistons with the passion of a 1000 white hot suns, but when they needed a rebounder and had a chance to sign Rodman, guess who became a Bull? Winning trumps all.

Perhaps having followed baseball and watched the big market teams swallow up free agents like candy for decades, a superstar leaving to be on a better team is pretty routine "Dog Bites Man" stuff. The lesson for a franchise is that when you get a transcendent player, you have to develop or acquire another All-Star level piece or two around him or you'll get stuck on a treadmill as a "good, but not great" team and that player is going to get frustrated at the ceiling being too low. The Cavs didn't.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yea I read it, very well written. Doesn't change his past tho. I'm curious as to why it's ok for people to accept that the best player on the planet formed a border line all star team to win two rings then returns home. He's going to try and bring a championship home, that's a given. But he really doesn't have nearly as much pressure now. He's got his rings and now returns to Cleveland and everyone is happy for him. Maybe it's me, but I don't see how any of this is right. How what he did not only set a precedent of it being ok to take the easy road to get a ring when you're one of the top players in the road, but also jumping back and forth from two different teams is also acceptable. I'm a 80's and 90's fan. Closest thing I can remember was Shaq leaving for LA but nothing like this has ever been done and it's very disturbing that no one else sees anything wrong with this.

Difference with Shaq is that he wasn't born/raised in Orlando. No ties other than being drafted. Wasn't a big deal at all.

I don't think it hurts LeBron's legacy really, because we live in a media fawning culture. And, as I mentioned earlier, his PR team did a masterful job in changing the narrative. I still think LeBron's lame, but it doesn't matter what I think.

Reaction Score
No, they don't have all the leverage. You don't have much leverage when you have a player that is signed for only one more season and is vocal that he's likely to walk.

Six teams interested or not, no one is going to give up much to get a guy they might have for only one year.

If Cleveland doesn't budge, they get to keep Wiggins, Waiters, Bennett and draft picks. But if Minnesota is too choosy with these teams, they run the risk of losing Love without getting anything in return. Bottom line is that Minnesota does not have a lot of leverage. They can't demand one player from any given team with running the risk they lose any prospective deals because they made such demands.
You're a little off base here.

Teams aren't just vying for a year of Love's service - they're vying for the chance to have an exclusive negotiating period and the ability to offer him more money than anyone else when he becomes a free agent. That's a major advantage.

The Timberwolves don't have all the leverage in the world, but the leverage they do have went up significantly in the past 24 hours. With Wiggins potentially in play, Golden State may be incentivized to consider offering Klay Thompson, and so on and so forth.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Difference with Shaq is that he wasn't born/raised in Orlando. No ties other than being drafted. Wasn't a big deal at all.

I don't think it hurts LeBron's legacy really, because we live in a media fawning culture. And, as I mentioned earlier, his PR team did a masterful job in changing the narrative. I still think LeBron's lame, but it doesn't matter what I think.

His PR team and ESPN has definitely helped to change his image.

Reaction Score

With many teams involved, a bidding war occurs. Minnesota can trade Love to the highest bidder. Also, most teams involved will trade for Love with the understanding he will sign an extension. If not, it becomes a game of poker. Minnesota can lose out by not getting anything in return for Love and Love can lose out on an additional year and 20 plus million dollars. Who do you think budges? Either way, I just don't see any circumstance where the wolves will simply hand Love over to the Cavs. Wiggins will be involved or my guess is he is traded elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's me, but I don't see how any of this is right.

It's right because Miami is "evil". There is sand, sunshine and a lifestyle that a lot of people don't get to experience other than a vacation here and there. It's a place to vacation and the people that live there don't "deserve" to have good teams because they already have other things to keep them occupied. It isn't a "real" town with "real" fans that deserve to win. Cleveland "deserves" to win because it's full of fat guys that will paint their faces and sit in the snow watching their crappy football team lose.

Now, all that crazy bitching aside, it's got the makings of a great story, especially if they can win a title. But the Cavs are a proven loser and I just have trouble imagining them ever winning anything, even with the best player in the world and some so called genius of a coach. I just want to see how the media covers them, and Lebron if they don't ever win a title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom