OT: Larry Brown...THAT Larry Brown...yikes!! | The Boneyard

OT: Larry Brown...THAT Larry Brown...yikes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Larry Brown’s next coaching stop could be at a high school

He has a reputation for being a nomadic coach....this would add to that legend.

Name from the deep past: Brown coached at UCLA and at one point he had Rod Foster on the team.
This was maybe in the early 1980's. I saw Foster play in New Britain once...skinny six-foot guard...quick/fast
could shoot..a dynamic talent. Anyone know where he is now? I wouldn't be surprised if he had a cup of coffee in the NBA or played overseas.

Uhh...Larry did leave several college programs in the muck with the NCAA when he moved on.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
All you have to do in these here parts is ask...and you shall receive.
Thanks!

Reaction Score
There's something beautifully compulsive about the guy. Hearing a different drummer, huh? There was for me a draw dropping moment after his mediocre Kansas team upset #1 seeded Oklahoma in the 1988 NCAA Championship. Asked after the game what he told his team at halftime, when they holding a small lead against the more powerful Sooners, he replied: "I told them not to be afraid to win." There's a huge amount of truth in that: a lot of us are sometimes afraid to win especially when we're expecting not to, because it changes what we (and others) think about ourselves.

HGN

Reaction Score
Larry Brown’s next coaching stop could be at a high school

He has a reputation for being a nomadic coach....this would add to that legend.

Name from the deep past: Brown coached at UCLA and at one point he had Rod Foster on the team.
This was maybe in the early 1980's. I saw Foster play in New Britain once...skinny six-foot guard...quick/fast
could shoot..a dynamic talent. Anyone know where he is now? I wouldn't be surprised if he had a cup of coffee in the NBA or played overseas.

Uhh...Larry did leave several college programs in the muck with the NCAA when he moved on.
A great coach pretty much wherever he's been. And probably would be a good high school coach too. My problem would be his nomad tendency. He is just as likely to come in , win a few games
and leave after 1 or 2 years. No reason , just because he now wants to do something else. Or stay for 5. You seemingly never know with Larry Brown.

A great coach and personality.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
A great coach pretty much wherever he's been. And probably would be a good high school coach too. My problem would be his nomad tendency. He is just as likely to come in , win a few games
and leave after 1 or 2 years. No reason , just because he now wants to do something else. Or stay for 5. You seemingly never know with Larry Brown.

A great coach and personality.

HGN, I do not mean any disrespect with my comments below. But "nomad tendency" is putting it mildly.

As a coach, he left multiple programs for NCAA violations and skipped town, leaving them with bans and sanctions. Happened at UCLA. Happened at Kansas. Happened at SMU.

As Dana O'Neill noted in an article after the latest infractions were announced (SMU):

Usually he's skated out of town by now, leaving others to pick up the detritus he left behind. When UCLA was disciplined in 1981, Brown already had moved on to the New Jersey Nets. When the hammer dropped on Kansas, he was back in the NBA, at San Antonio.
This is a man who reportedly used a kid who lived in his own Lawrence, Kansas, home, Mike Marshall, as his bagman at KU and whose infractions at Kansas were so egregious that when asked whether the Jayhawks were eligible for the death penalty (dealt, ironically, only to SMU in 1987), then-NCAA enforcement director David Berst replied blithely, "Kansas was on the bubble, so to speak.

O'Neil: This is what you get when you hire Larry Brown

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
HGN, I do not mean any disrespect with my comments below. But "nomad tendency" is putting it mildly.

As a coach, he left multiple programs for NCAA violations and skipped town, leaving them with bans and sanctions. Happened at UCLA. Happened at Kansas. Happened at SMU.

As Dana O'Neill noted in an article after the latest infractions were announced (SMU):

Usually he's skated out of town by now, leaving others to pick up the detritus he left behind. When UCLA was disciplined in 1981, Brown already had moved on to the New Jersey Nets. When the hammer dropped on Kansas, he was back in the NBA, at San Antonio.
This is a man who reportedly used a kid who lived in his own Lawrence, Kansas, home, Mike Marshall, as his bagman at KU and whose infractions at Kansas were so egregious that when asked whether the Jayhawks were eligible for the death penalty (dealt, ironically, only to SMU in 1987), then-NCAA enforcement director David Berst replied blithely, "Kansas was on the bubble, so to speak.

CamrnCrz1974 - EVERYTHING you've stated here is true and verifiable, yet as you know, there are still AD's and GM's that would hire Brown in spite of his "dubious/deplorable" track record. Brown has won everywhere he's been. The thought of becoming a winner, or at least turning the ship around is enough for someone in authority to take a chance on him. Bags 27 is right: "There's something beautifully compulsive about the guy".
No matter what happens, the guy keeps landing on his feet.

HGN

Reaction Score

CamrnCrz, No offense taken. I was just trying to be nice to him in my , nomad tendency , statement. You are just not as nice. But leave it to a CamrnCrz to hit him with a sludge hammer. :)
But some school or NBA team will take a chance on him. The man has a knack for turning things around. Plus he has that rare energy , skill , and experience that's hard to find. I don't know where he will end up. Be it college , high school , NBA , or WNBA. He probably doesn't know either..............But that's the nature of a Nomad.

Reaction Score
What you do get is a great basketball mind, fantastic teacher and really good coach. Those HS kids would be the luckiest in the land.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
What you do get is a great basketball mind, fantastic teacher and really good coach. Those HS kids would be the luckiest in the land.

If I were a high school BB player, I'd love the opportunity to play for Larry Brown. Brown knows the game, and is an excellent teacher. I couldn't care less about his nomadic tendencies. I'd be a prisoner of the moment!! :)
If you doubt me, just ask NBA HOF Allan Iverson (one of Brown's Philadelphia 76'ers players), who at the time, fought with Brown daily, and didn't believe Brown knew what he was talking about. Iverson has since changed his posture, and now thinks Brown is a BB genius. Sometimes in life, we are allowed to reap the benefits of hindsight and maturity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There's something beautifully compulsive about the guy. Hearing a different drummer, huh? There was for me a draw dropping moment after his mediocre Kansas team upset #1 seeded Oklahoma in the 1988 NCAA Championship. Asked after the game what he told his team at halftime, when they holding a small lead against the more powerful Sooners, he replied: "I told them not to be afraid to win." There's a huge amount of truth in that: a lot of us are sometimes afraid to win especially when we're expecting not to, because it changes what we (and others) think about ourselves.
For uninitiated teams (Geno has the edge here) ---too often teams (ND is an example) that ---snatched failure from the jaws of VICTORY!! Sounds stupid --but teams/people do lose because they fear winning. But I prefer Patton's speech as more profound--

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Next Larry could be coaching a pick up game in Bali. Larry Brown, the poor, sad, misunderstood little "Have basketball, will travel" itinerant.

Reaction Score
I'm too lazy to Google Larry Brown. Isn't he about 87 years old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom