OT: Landon Donovan Left Off USA WC Squad | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Landon Donovan Left Off USA WC Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Were you even a soccer fan in 2002? Or did you just start liking it when ESPN decided it was cool? Believe me, LD on that roster was a bid deal, they were one of the highest profile clubs in Europe at the time.

2002 vs Germany is the biggest USA lost opportunity ever. Eddie Lewis's phantom foul leading to Ballack's goal, Tony Sanneh's missed header, Reyna's long bomb with Kahn way off his line .... and the saddest excuse for a ref ever - Hugh Dallas.

Reaction Score
Over 250 posts and 2 threads about soccer on the football board.

Embarrassing.

Why?

Yes, we could have this conversation on the "Pro Sports" board, but this is a much more widely used board, and it's not as if there's a ton of riveting news coming out college football right now.

Is this any worse than another thread about pizza? And more importantly, how do you even find it in you to care?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Were you even a soccer fan in 2002? Or did you just start liking it when ESPN decided it was cool? Believe me, LD on that roster was a bid deal, they were one of the highest profile clubs in Europe at the time.

Umm....yeah, I was a soccer fan before 2002. I was a soccer fan before most people in the US even realized that soccer had a World Cup. I remember exactly where I was when I watched Italy win the World Cup in 1982. I'm also lucky enough to have an extended soccer package which allows me to watch soccer games in the five major leagues (Premiership, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, and La Liga).

I'm well aware that it was a big deal when Landon went to Leverkusen. Prior to that, the biggest "American in Europe" story we had was Lalas to Padova (which is sad on so many levels). Again, I'm not knocking Leverkusen. I would say that Leverkusen and Everton are quite similar in their stature in Europe. And there's nothing wrong with either one...

Reaction Score
2002 vs Germany is the biggest USA lost opportunity ever. Eddie Lewis's phantom foul leading to Ballack's goal, Tony Sanneh's missed header, Reyna's long bomb with Kahn way off his line .... and the saddest excuse for a ref ever - Hugh Dallas.

Yup. I was at that game too. F Hugh Dallas. We really wore Germany down in that game, we were totally jobbed.

Reaction Score
Umm....yeah, I was a soccer fan before 2002. I was a soccer fan before most people in the US even realized that soccer had a World Cup. I remember exactly where I was when I watched Italy win the World Cup in 1982. I'm also lucky enough to have an extended soccer package which allows me to watch soccer games in the five major leagues (Premiership, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, and La Liga).

I'm well aware that it was a big deal when Landon went to Leverkusen. Prior to that, the biggest "American in Europe" story we had was Lalas to Padova (which is sad on so many levels). Again, I'm not knocking Leverkusen. I would say that Leverkusen and Everton are quite similar in their stature in Europe. And there's nothing wrong with either one...

There are USD 16 million reasons why over the an 18 month period while the name of a very oil rich country is on Athltico's jersey. Just like there are between USD 1.2 and USD 2.0 million per voter reasons why Qatar is hosting the 2022 World Cup.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that Qatar 2022 never happens. If the weather and the supposed winter scheduling doesn't end it, the human rights abuses will.

And guess who finished second in the voting?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If I were a betting man, I would bet that Qatar 2022 never happens. If the weather and the supposed winter scheduling doesn't end it, the human rights abuses will.

And guess who finished second in the voting?

I hope you're right. The idea that soccer will be played in 120F is insanity to me. They better have some awesome refrigerated domes over there!

Reaction Score
I hope you're right. The idea that soccer will be played in 120F is insanity to me. They better have some awesome refrigerated domes over there!

wow, I'd say so

Logistical complications relating to the proposed change in timing caused FIFA President Sepp Blatter to admit in late 2013 that selecting Qatar as the host country may have been a mistake.[5] In May 2014, FIFA President Sepp Blatter admitted that awarding the World Cup to Qatar was a mistake.[6][7]

Reaction Score

It will be in Qatar, heat and human rights be damned. FIFA cares about money and only money. Just look at its issues with poor refereeing, racism, etc. Good old Sepp and FIFA only relented on goal-line technology after several gaffes before and after the 2010 Cup (England) and only when grumblings started to come down from major corporate sponsors. Same with racism, though that is still a major issue just based on what has happened in 2014 alone. The only way the 2022 Cup is pulled or re-scheduled is if major corporate sponsors bail on FIFA and the money lost becomes greater than the money 'donated' to FIFA by the oil sheiks.

On a related note, it is really interesting to see is the number of cities bailing on the 2022 Winter Olympics due to costs. Munich and Davos-St. Moritz (Switzerland) bailed first followed by Krakow and Stockholm. Oslo’s bid is on very shaky ground politically. Lviv in the Ukraine has other issues. That leaves only 2 sure bids. Almaty in basked by an Oil Tycoon (sound familiar?) in a country where the general population has no say in the bid. As for Beijing, whose people also cannot vote on the bid, the 2008 Summer Olympic host would hold the ‘stadium’ events while the mountain and snow event would be held 120+ miles away. WTF? Look like cities, at least democratic cities, are realizing that the cost of hosting the Olympics (the one event larger than the World Cup) outweigh the honor and marketing of hosting them. Thus, the only hosts left are various oligarchies run by Oil and other business tycoons whose people have no say in hosting. That is not an attractive background for corporate sponsors. Trust me, FIFA is watching this.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/10984325/krakow-withdraws-2022-winter-olympics-bid

Back to Qatar, what the heck is Qatar, a country with a population equal to New Mexico (2 million) stuffed into a country the size of Delaware, going to do with the stadiums after the Cup is over? The plans are for 12 stadiums, some of which will be enclosed and fully air conditioned though the technology does not yet exist to comfortably cool such a large volume of air when it is 120 F outside, including 1 stadium over 80K (permanent), 1 stadium temporarily expanded to 60K plus 2 temporarily expanded from 20K to 40K. If you feel bad for the 2014 Cup teams who have to play in Manaus, wait until the 2022 draw comes out and some teams have to play in an outside vendor in Qatar in August. As a comparison, the UK has 63 million people and its beloved Premiership has 20 teams. The UK has just 17 stadiums with a capacity of over 40K, which includes 3 stadiums between 50K and 60K, and 8 over 60K. Of the 8 stadiums over 60K, only 2 are the home pitch for a Premier soccer team (Man U and Arsenal), a 3rd is home for a Scottish Premier team (Celtic), while the other 5 are either Rugby or special event venues.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Reyna should have made that. He would still be a hero today if he had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom