OT: Lance Stephenson to Hornets | The Boneyard

OT: Lance Stephenson to Hornets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He makes Charlotte better. Elite level defender with a decent offensive game and supreme confidence in himself. Just one of those guys that may have trouble co existing with stars on any team. He and Kemba will be like an all NYC back court.

Reaction Score
If Charlotte can still go after boozer that would make for a very respectable lineup

caw

Reaction Score
They needed talent but man they have zero spacing:

Kemba Walker, Brian Roberts, Gary Neal
Lance Stevenson, Gerald Henderson, Hairston
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Marvin Williams
Cody Zeller, Noah Vonleh
Al Jefferson, Bismark Biyombo

Much better depth at least. I guess Williams may start to help spacing some.

Reaction Score
This is a great deal for the Hornets. 3 years for 27 million, with the last year being a team option. So, essentially the same contract the Lakers gave Jordan Hill at 2 years 18 million.

This team was lockdown on D last year and are now getting another great defender. The all NYC backcourt will be exciting to watch and Lance is a very good play maker so it will take lot of pressure off Kemba. That said, spacing is a huge issue as Caw sad. Basically, meet the new Pacers.

Reaction Score
Rumors have it they will make a bid for boozer but they Def need to add a wing shooter unless Gandolf came and fixed MKGs shot somehow...

Reaction Score
For all his headaches, Stephenson makes them MUCH, MUCH better. He can score the ball from anywhere, improving 3-pt shooter, good playmaker, good defender, very competitive. Great deal for the Hornets. The Jazz and Mavs are paying an average of $15M/year for Hayward and Parsons and neither of them are as good of a player as Stephenson is.

Reaction Score
3 years 17 mill and a team option is a good deal, after striking out on gordon hayward i thought they might offer lance something in the range of 12 million per year or so. And it's pretty surprising he didn't take the pacers offer of 5 years 44 million if he is going to take the Hornets deal.

Reaction Score
3 years 17 mill and a team option is a good deal, after striking out on gordon hayward i thought they might offer lance something in the range of 12 million per year or so. And it's pretty surprising he didn't take the pacers offer of 5 years 44 million if he is going to take the Hornets deal.

I think there may have been personal reasons he left Indiana. From all accounts, some of the other players didn't like him too much.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
This team could definitely win a playoff series now but Jordan may lose days of sleep dealing with Stephenson and Hairston.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For all his headaches, Stephenson makes them MUCH, MUCH better. He can score the ball from anywhere, improving 3-pt shooter, good playmaker, good defender, very competitive. Great deal for the Hornets. The Jazz and Mavs are paying an average of $15M/year for Hayward and Parsons and neither of them are as good of a player as Stephenson is.
Personally, I would rather have Hayward. They are of very comparable value though. I would just take the kid with his head on straight and the slightly higher PER (16.2 compared to 14.7). But with that being said, Hayward is getting maxed out while Stephenson is at 9mil....

Reaction Score
Personally, I would rather have Hayward. They are of very comparable value though. I would just take the kid with his head on straight and the slightly higher PER (16.2 compared to 14.7). But with that being said, Hayward is getting maxed out while Stephenson is at 9mil....

Hayward isn't nearly the defensive player that Stephenson is. Some would even call him a liability on defense. But not being crazy is always a plus.

Reaction Score
This has the makings of an excellent team. Young, but with serious depth. And Stephenson was exactly the type of player they're missing. They need points and he can pour em in. Bonus, he plays D. Only negative here I can find is the attitude, but between him and Hairston it doesn't seem like Jordan is worried about turning around the character issues.

Reaction Score
I think Stephenson was a major reason for The Pacers collapse last season. He's got some talent, but I'd be willing to bet the chemistry will be off with the Hornets for as long as he's there.

He's lazy on defense (Not sure where this "great defensive player" thought came from) and used to throw tantrums when he didn't get the ball. That'll be fun for Kemba.

Reaction Score
At least someone else can get stuck taking the 911 shots at the end of the shot clock. Hopefully, it'll improve Kemba's efficiency.

Reaction Score
I think Stephenson was a major reason for The Pacers collapse last season. He's got some talent, but I'd be willing to bet the chemistry will be off with the Hornets for as long as he's there.

He's lazy on defense (Not sure where this "great defensive player" thought came from) and used to throw tantrums when he didn't get the ball. That'll be fun for Kemba.

At the end of the day the Pacers went as far as they reasonably should have, they're not better than the Heat. I can't imagine the Pacers being a better team next year having to rely on more playmaking from Hill and putting even more of a burden on George in that unimaginative offense. Lance definitely has his issues, but the Pacers are taking a step back at SG next year, especially at this point with the FA market pretty much done now.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I think it was Hibbert completely disappearing towards the end of the season. Inexplicable.

Reaction Score
I guess Charlotte is looking at building their team around defense, Al Jefferson, and the hope that Stephenson and Walker hit enough outside shots to score enough points. There are still going to be some big problems offensively, but there is no denying that Stephenson is a huge upgrade over Henderson. Kemba was virtually the only capable pick and roll player for Charlotte last season, with an additional creator, he'll be able to play off the ball more which I'm sure will improve his efficiency.

Lance isn't a "great" defender, but his ability to guard multiple positions is valuable.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
The media way overhyped that Lance story during the series with the Heat because they were badly looking for a villian for LeBron. He is a very good player on an affordable contract. He was looking for a similar deal from the pacers for 3 years but they weren't willing to keep the money at 9 million a year. If he proves himself to be an All-Star he will easily be able to re-up for 15+ million after this contract and he'll still be just 26. All of a sudden the Hornets are in the mix for a top 5 seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom