OT: Jay Wright/Knicks | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Jay Wright/Knicks

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can’t imagine Nova doesn’t plan to throw more money at Wright this offseason. They have to know the NBA will come calling, and even other college teams could potentially double his salary, if they really wanted too.
Might be tough to do. I have to think that they are close to their capacity to pay. This is another example of the P5/G5 gap.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone want the Nnicks job is beyond me.

Its a top 3 NBA job when things are good. Years ago max kellerman on his radio show said Knicks, when good, have the highest priced tickets of any sports team in NYC and they are the hardest ticket to get. Higher than the Yankees

Problem is they haven't been good since Ewing missed that layup

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
You wouldn't live in Manhattan if someone handed you a check for a hundred billion dollars?

Can't speak for the OP, but personally, if I could make what jay is making now (or can be expected to make in coming seasons) I wouldn't even consider moving to manhattan. It's not like he's not able to live pretty large in his current situation.
You know how people say It's a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there? I avoid visiting it at all costs.

Reaction Score
Can't speak for the OP, but personally, if I could make what jay is making now (or can be expected to make in coming seasons) I wouldn't even consider moving to manhattan. It's not like he's not able to live pretty large in his current situation.
You know how people say It's a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there? I avoid visiting it at all costs.

Different strokes.

Reaction Score
Its a top 3 NBA job when things are good. Years ago max kellerman on his radio show said Knicks, when good, have the highest priced tickets of any sports team in NYC and they are the hardest ticket to get. Higher than the Yankees

NYC is first and foremost a basketball town.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Maybe he already has his handpicked college job

You also have to take in taxes Philly vs NYC, cost of living, etc

According to bankrate.com cost of living calculator it is 90% more expensive to live in metro Manhattan vs metro Philly

If Jay Wright was making 2.5 in Philly he would have to make 4.75 in Manhattan to have the same lifestyle.
That's assuming he spends his entire 2.5 on living in Philly. More likely he spends about a million, which would mean he'd need an extra 900K in NYC for the same life style.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Our old coach "turned down" his hometown Lakers. Let's see if he's actually offered first.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Shhhhh!

I haven't watched a minute of Knicks basketball since Dolan chased off Donnie Walsh. That was it for me. The only guy that made the franchise healthy under Dolan's watch was kicked to the curb. I'm still pissed. I'll stop there before I ruin a perfectly good afternoon, lol.

Reaction Score

Look, I hate the Yankees and I would never defend them in a million years.

However, I'm also a fan of rational argument.

So:

MSG = 20k capacity.

Yankee Stadium = 55k capacity (old stadium was even more).

Plus, NBA has 41 home dates.

MLB has 81.

Look at TV ratings. I bet that when the Yankees are good, they trounce the Knicks in local tv ratings even when the Knicks are good (which is impressive because there are so many more baseball games).

Basically, ticket prices are meaningless when it comes to popularity.

Ok, now off to shower, I feel gross.

Reaction Score
He’s not leaving Nova. Write it down, in pen. He’s certainly not leaving for a bad job in the NBA. Nova will take care of him.

Reaction Score
Here’s his quote

“It’s my hometown, my wife’s alma mater, my favorite team growing up,” he said. “I’ve got a great president and a great [athletic director]. I just love going to work every day. Our guys graduate. You see these kids are great kids to coach. As a coach, there’s just nothing better.”

Reaction Score
NYC is first and foremost a basketball town.
NYC is first and foremost an everything town. It's the best baseball town, the best basketball town and ask the Giants and Rangers what it's like to win a hockey or football title here. It's a metro area with 20 million mostly crazed sports fans - there's nothing remotely like it on this continent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a Knicks fan, this would make me happy.

As a Knicks fan, I have no interest in a college coach with zero NBA experience, no experience with big ego'd one and done type players, and no experience in a major media market (no, Phildadelphia is not.) Everyone will bring up Brad Stevens, but I'd rather bring up Hoiberg, PJ Carlisimo, Billy Donovan and almost anyone else that fits. Wright is a great college coach, but I don't see any evidence that what he does translates to the NBA.

Reaction Score
NYC is first and foremost an everything town. It's the best baseball town, the best basketball town and ask the Giants and Rangers what it's like to win a hockey or football title here. It's a metro area with 30 million mostly crazed sports fans - there's nothing remotely like it on this continent.

Boston's better ;)

Reaction Score
Boston's better ;)
I spend about 2 months a year working in Boston and while they may have better fans (debatable) they have way less of them - Boston is a quarter the size of NY in population. Which is why NY hosts 2 baseball, 2 basketball, 2 football (if you count the Jets as a real football team) and 3 hockey teams. The Knicks play to 95% capacity when they haven't played a meaningful game in 15 years, which is why Dolan can get away with his crap.

Reaction Score
I spend about 2 months a year working in Boston and while they may have better fans (debatable) they have way less of them - Boston is a quarter the size of NY in population. Which is why NY hosts 2 baseball, 2 basketball, 2 football (if you count the Jets as a real football team) and 3 hockey teams. The Knicks play to 95% capacity when they haven't played a meaningful game in 15 years, which is why Dolan can get away with his crap.

That is a surprisingly reasonable response!

Reaction Score
NYC is first and foremost an everything town. It's the best baseball town, the best basketball town and ask the Giants and Rangers what it's like to win a hockey or football title here. It's a metro area with 20 million mostly crazed sports fans - there's nothing remotely like it on this continent.
I wouldn't call it the most amazing sports town, in my experience sports are overall bigger in Chicago and probably Boston but I don't know that town as intimately. I'm also guessing sports are nore the lifeblood in a place like Pittsburgh than NYC but I don't know that city at all. What I do know is basketball is bigger in NYC than everywhere else I've been and for the most part people seem to know their s^^t.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it the most amazing sports town, in my experience sports are overall bigger in Chicago and probably Boston but I don't know that town as intimately. I'm also guessing sports are nore the lifeblood in a place like Pittsburgh than NYC but I don't know that city at all. What I do know is basketball is bigger in NYC than everywhere else I've been and for the most part people seem to know their s^^t.

This debate is probably deserving of its own thread, but that's not what this thread is here for!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Having all those teams waters things down though. Plus, in NYC, there are so many more competing interests. It's a different feel.

Reaction Score
I’m a die-hard Knicks fan and J Wright would need a drug test to take this job. MSG is a coaching graveyard

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom