OT James Harrison to Pats | The Boneyard

OT James Harrison to Pats

Reaction Score
Is this a case of Belichick trolling or is this an actual need for the Pats I think a little bit of both. The Steelers are dumb to release Harrison this late in the season, of course Belichick and the Pats strike and swoop him up. All Harrison has to do is be in pash rush situations and he knows the Steelers play book. Its an evil genius move by BB. I think every team in the NFL is dumb except the Pats.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
He didn't play much and the Steelers probably needed to strengthen a position or replace someone. It's still a typical good move by the Pat's.

Reaction Score
Is this a case of Belichick trolling or is this an actual need for the Pats I think a little bit of both. The Steelers are dumb to release Harrison this late in the season, of course Belichick and the Pats strike and swoop him up. All Harrison has to do is be in pash rush situations and he knows the Steelers play book. Its an evil genius move by BB. I think every team in the NFL is dumb except the Pats.
It's not an evil genius move, it's a no-brainer. As you point out, most everyone running all the other teams has no brain.

Watch "Retired Deebo" on YouTube

Reaction Score
All you need to know about this move is that the Patriots cut Trevor Reilly, who played a lot in recent weeks.

Reaction Score
Do defensive players really feel inclination to learn their offense’s system in any meaningful, generalizable way?

I get that they practice together but is it really worth the effort?

Reaction Score
Do defensive players really feel inclination to learn their offense’s system?

Yeah I think the playbook factor is being a bit overplayed. The Patriots will have 17 games worth of game film anyway.

Reaction Score
The Patriots haven't seemed to have even the slightest problem with the Steelers' defense, so not sure what is really gained here, outside of an over the hill LB that could potentially help in limited situations.

Reaction Score
The Patriots haven't seemed to have even the slightest problem with the Steelers' defense, so not sure what is really gained here, outside of an over the hill LB that could potentially help in limited situations.

Nothing more than that. There's more to learn about a team from 16 games of tape than information a part time pass rusher can give you. Pitt fans being super mad especially after his Insta pic with Brady is pretty much worth it in my mind and wouldn't be surprised if he's one game and done.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Do defensive players really feel inclination to learn their offense’s system in any meaningful, generalizable way?

I get that they practice together but is it really worth the effort?
Yeah, I'm thinking Matt Patricia knows a helluva lot more than Harrison does about the Steelers offensive playbook

Reaction Score
Holy wow just heard our favorite talking head Gottlieb sound off on this. He hates it. For every single reason to the T that we criticized Durant for joining the Warriors. 99% sure Gottlieb loved the Durant move. Actually he had just argued with a fellow smug talking head about how Durant is a better player than LeBron is right now.

Just some god-awful takes from that guy

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For what it's worth Pats are thin on the edge , he won't have to play a zone that the Steelers play just straight rushing the passer. I think he's got some gas in the tank and will help. Can't hurt no downside I can see.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Patriots have been playing a 4-2-5 for several weeks since losing Hightower and then Van Noy. They have two quality LBs at this point, so this kind of experience at the position is something couldn't pass up.

Reaction Score
Patriots have been playing a 4-2-5 for several weeks since losing Hightower and then Van Noy. They have two quality LBs at this point, so this kind of experience at the position is something couldn't pass up.

They have 2 quality LBs?

I'm struggling to think of one unless you mean Van Noy, who hasn't played in several weeks.

Last week, they had Trevor Reilly, Marquis Flowers, Nicholas Grigsby, and Elandon Roberts in there.

3 of those guys were in the unemployment line.

Harrison will surely help them.

Reaction Score
James Harrison was good during the Bush Administration. Guy was inactive for several games with the Steelers. But he should contribute to any weightlifting competitions the Pats might enter.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They have 2 quality LBs?

I'm struggling to think of one unless you mean Van Noy, who hasn't played in several weeks.

Last week, they had Trevor Reilly, Marquis Flowers, Nicholas Grigsby, and Elandon Roberts in there.

Roberts is ok. Point is, only two guys who are even worthy of playing. I meant quality in the most minimal sense. Grabbing Harrison made a lot of sense.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Without reading the thread. They are thin at outside linebacker. Harrison is not close to the prototypical guy (way too short) for their system, but they need all the help that they can get. He's tough and a professional. If he sticks, I'd expect him on passing downs only to put pressure on the QB. Maybe 20% PT?

If he's got anything left, then it's low risk, high reward.

It obviously has nothing to do with gaining info on the Steelers. These teams know each other like the back of their hands.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Holy wow just heard our favorite talking head Gottlieb sound off on this. He hates it. For every since reason to the T that we criticized Durant for joining the Warriors

Well that's it then I'm sold on the move. Feeling better already Thanks!

Making Gottlieb more of an idiot (if that's possible), Harrison already has 2 Superbowl rings; so it's nothing like the Durant move. It's not like he needs the Pats. And he's certainly not going to go to a mid level team at this point in his career. The idea that he'd pick any team outside of 3 or 4 would be preposterous. And BB has a good history of inserting vets into part time roles.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They have 2 quality LBs?

It's sounds weird to say it, but Van Noy, prior to getting injured had become pretty good, now that he figured out the system. Without Hightower, he's pretty damn important to this D.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him get some reps this week to shake off some rust, then have the By to recover.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
James Harrison was good during the Bush Administration. Guy was inactive for several games with the Steelers. But he should contribute to any weightlifting competitions the Pats might enter.

One of the main reasons for that this is that they changed their scheme a bit to have their two OLBs be more coverage oriented. Not JH's strong suit. The two younger faster guys got the nod.

Reaction Score
The Steelers are well run. They knew if they let him go there was a chance he’d go somewhere they could face him and they did it anyway. They don’t appear concerned.

Reaction Score
I’m a lifelong Steelers fan and have watched James his whole career. Pretty much everyone is overrating this guy. He’s been inactive most of the season while some really average guys have been active. There isn’t much left in this guys tank. Prepare to be underwhelmed. You can count on 1 finger the veterans the Steelers have let go in the last few decades who went on to be good anywhere else. They pretty much always overpay to keep vets until they’re completely washed up. Anyone want to guess the player I’m referencing?

That being said, Brady is going to torch the Steelers next time they meet, just like he has every other game they’ve played.

Reaction Score
I’m a lifelong Steelers fan and have watched James his whole career. Pretty much everyone is overrating this guy. He’s been inactive most of the season while some really average guys have been active. There isn’t much left in this guys tank. Prepare to be underwhelmed. You can count on 1 finger the veterans the Steelers have let go in the last few decades who went on to be good anywhere else. They pretty much always overpay to keep vets until they’re completely washed up. Anyone want to guess the player I’m referencing?

That being said, Brady is going to torch the Steelers next time they meet, just like he has every other game they’ve played.

While I have no expectations that he'll be the old James Harrison, they just cut the guy he is replacing. The Patriots were playing guys off the street at linebacker. It wasn't pretty. In other words, it is hard to overrate Harrison when he's replacing a guy named Trevor Reilly. Harrison will be an upgrade.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The Steelers are well run. They knew if they let him go there was a chance he’d go somewhere they could face him and they did it anyway. They don’t appear concerned.

Harrison with nothing left is still better than some of the guys the Pats have been trotting out there. Pats front is so thin it's laughable.

Reaction Score
Reports from steelers players is JH never showed up or participated in team/ position meetings after week 4 and was doing everything possible to get cut.

He will be of no use to the pats when it comes to game planning or getting intel on the steelers. He was basically not a part of the team the past 12 weeks.

As far as playing I can't imagine he'll have much impact. He's done and pats are hoping to catch lightening in bottle with him

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom