OT: It aint over till its over, well its over | The Boneyard

OT: It aint over till its over, well its over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not a baseball person but I know who he was. But I heard an interview today with someone associated with him. They said Yogi admitted on the Tonight Show with Carson that the whole "Yogism" thing started because of his tendency to swear in every sentence. When doing radio interviews he would catch himself before the curse and the correction would always come out with an awkward statement. This eventually became his schtick and he played into it. He was aware of a lot of what he was saying. I think he was a lot smarter than he appeared.

Reaction Score
The yanks' broadcast crew tonight had one of Yogi's friends call in today during the third inning. The friend said a few years ago he could tell it was a weird day because it was one of the few times he saw Yogi visibly upset. Naturally the friend asks Yogi what was wrong.

Yogi: "I have to fly to California. I'm gonna be in one of those commercials for the affliction."
Friend: "What affliction Yogi? What does that mean?"
Yogi: "You know. That insurance. With the duck."

Reaction Score
Not a baseball person but I know who he was. But I heard an interview today with someone associated with him. They said Yogi admitted on the Tonight Show with Carson that the whole "Yogism" thing started because of his tendency to swear in every sentence. When doing radio interviews he would catch himself before the curse and the correction would always come out with an awkward statement. This eventually became his schtick and he played into it. He was aware of a lot of what he was saying. I think he was a lot smarter than he appeared.

Very good business man according to many.

Reaction Score
RIP Yogi. The best bad ball hitter in history. They were all strikes to Yogi and he more foul ball HRs than anyone.
Was having dinner in an Italian restaurant in Montclair and he and his wife Carman were also having dinner. My waiter told me that they come in every Thursday night (it was Thursday) and said that they were 2 of the nicest people he ever served. I was seated on the other side of the restaurant and i didn't talk to him but I was surprised at how short he was; looked to be about 5'7".

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Carmen Berra: Yogi, we are from St. Louis, we live in NJ and you played ball in NY. If you die before me, where do you want me to bury you?
Yogi: Surprise me

Yogi was the best. 3 MVPs, 10 rings, 21 post season appearences as a player or coach. Loving wife, friends and family. And some people think he is stupid. I hope that it is true that he wanted "It's Over" on his grave.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Carmen Berra: Yogi, we are from St. Louis, we live in NJ and you played ball in NY. If you die before me, where do you want me to bury you?
Yogi: Surprise me

Yogi was the best. 3 MVPs, 10 rings, 21 post season appearences as a player or coach. Loving wife, friends and family. And some people think he is stupid. I hope that it is true that he wanted "It's Over" on his grave. RIP Yogi.

Reaction Score
RIP Yogi. The best bad ball hitter in history. They were all strikes to Yogi and he more foul ball HRs than anyone.
Was having dinner in an Italian restaurant in Montclair and he and his wife Carman were also having dinner. My waiter told me that they come in every Thursday night (it was Thursday) and said that they were 2 of the nicest people he ever served. I was seated on the other side of the restaurant and i didn't talk to him but I was surprised at how short he was; looked to be about 5'7".

As a result of his swinging at everything, Berra had a pretty low walk rate, never topping 66 in a season. But generally, guys who swing at everything strike out a fair amount, which Berra almost NEVER did. Never even 40 k's in a season. He had five seasons with more home runs than strikeouts, which was utterly absurd even then. To give you an idea of how peculiar he was, in 1952, he led the Yankees in home runs (remember he was playing with Mickey Mantle at the time) with 30, and was tenth on the team in strikeouts, with 24, behind the other 7 starting position players, utility infielder Irv Noren, and pitcher Vic Raschi, who 'bested' Berra's strikeout total in 88 PA's, to Berra's 603.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom