Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
when you see AAC tourney returning to Hartford it should make you heave.
Scooter is right. And I do not understand the love affair with Suzy on the BY. When it comes to athletics and The P5, I think she could give a FF if we go or not.

Reaction Score
Scooter is right. And I do not understand the love affair with Suzy on the BY. When it comes to athletics and The P5, I think she could give a FF if we go or not.
louie_sighing.jpg

Reaction Score
She is like most college presidents. If she had her way we would be d3. Just about every president of every college would rather not have the headaches of athletics but they are stuck with them. You think the guy at Louisville wants to deal with his coach hiring hookers for recruits and he can't even fire the guy? Or Susan wants to spend hundreds of thousand on hiring an ad when critical funding for research is in danger? Of course they don't. Just like Shalala effectively downgraded Miami football by joining the ACC, and to paraphrase another Florigian she knew exactly what she was doing. She knew exactly what she was doing...she.knew...

Susan is fine with keeping UConn right where it is. If it gets a call she will answer but if not she has other priorities.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Scoot, do you have anything that you can submit to substantiate your assertions? It sounds to me that you are merely making assumptions based on what you've read on other people in positions similar to where SH is at UConn. If this is not the case I would like to see some evidence.

Trust me, SH wants UConn to be in a position academically that is similar to where schools like Michigan, Wisconsin, California, Virginia etc. are today and she fully realizes that the only way UConn can get there would be with affiliation in a major athletics conference. Yes, her primary concern is UConn's academic stature and yes, the last thing she would want is for UConn to turn into something similar to Miami in "Tha U's" heyday or have a scandal such as what Louisville is facing today but this does not require her to prefer a diminished stature in athletics.

Reaction Score
I don't know. My impression of Herbst is that she cares but not that much about athletics. If a P5 happens fine if not she has lots of other goals and she's not going out of her way to make it happen. She will say the right things but she won't make much of an effort. To quote the writer Isaac Basheva Singer when asked if he said he wouldn't cross the street to meet Shaespere, "I might cross the street, but I wouldn't travel to Flushing." That is Herbst's approach to the power 5. She might cross the street but she isn't willing to go out of her way.

Have you ever talked to her about this? I have. A number of times. Usually at sporting events, strangely enough.

Even if she only cares because donors care and she wants their money; she cares.

Reaction Score
If you think the tournament coming back to Hartford means anything you're to put it nicely, misinformed. We'd be added for the 2017-2018 school year. We'll be be in the AAC in 2016-2017 regardless. I'm sure they're not selling very well in Orlando because hmm maybe no one in Florida cares about AAC basketball. They know there's a good chance UCONN will play at least 2 games thus at least 2 games will actually have people in the stands.

Reaction Score
Well turns out that Orlando is going to host the NCAA first round. But that the tourney is returning to Hartford is not a great sign in my view.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Why? It shows that we're the only school in the league that can support it. That's positive. You assume that if we were (and we are) working a Big XII invite we'd share that with the AAC? Really? Of course we wouldn't tell them. Meanwhile we are in this league next year at the minimum.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that freescooter doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing. He is undertaking a systematic effort to troll the boneyard. He knows his characterization of Herbst is demonstrably false, but he keeps going at it to rile everybody up.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that freescooter doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing. He is undertaking a systematic effort to troll the boneyard. He knows his characterization of Herbst is demonstrably false, but he keeps going at it to rile everybody up.
Trolling takes effort... I think he's just ignorant.

C

Chief00

Of course SH wants us in a P5 conference. To me that's not the question. The fact is she has been up to this point very unsuccessful in doing that.

And when an independent body seeks proof she is doing that retrospectively - nothing is to be found. She has also said numerous times she has no control over this - which has always struck me as odd. If you have no control over something, why work at it?

The fact that she hired Mike T implicitly to me indicates she doesn't have the relationships or clout in the Presidents club to know how to get this done.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Of course SH wants us in a P5 conference. To me that's not the question. The fact is she has been up to this point very unsuccessful in doing that.

And when an independent body seeks proof she is doing that retrospectively - nothing is to be found. She has also said numerous times she has no control over this - which has always struck me as odd. If you have no control over something, why work at it?

The fact that she hired Mike T implicitly to me indicates she doesn't have the relationships or clout in the Presidents club to know how to get this done.
Do you ever tire of proving how little actual insight you have?

Reaction Score

clueless11.jpg

C

Chief00

Do you ever tire of proving how little actual insight you have?

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there - does it make noise? That's your evaluation of my insight.

Reaction Score

One, Herbst does not have control over 1 key issues - an open slot at a p5 conference. Only the other conference can decide that and has we have seen with the back and forth discussions. facts, and rumors within the XII, it is not always a clear-cut process for them, also.

As for hiring Mike Tranghese, that seems to me she knows exactly what she is doing. She is the University President and is pulled in hundreds of ways, such as dealing with the fools and the mess at the Capital in Hartford right now. Conference expansion is such a important issue to her and the university that she knows she cannot give it the attention the issue needs. So, she hired an outside consultant, who is well connected in the college athletic circle, to do the heavy lifting and the connecting. As a consultant, he also likely lies outside of public FOI requests, which could derail any on-going, sensitive discussions.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, my money is on Herbst knowing one hell of a lot more than you.
His boy Jimmy C speaks the world of Susan Herbst and has been saying all along that things will be ok..it may just take a little bit of time. Which is it @Chief00 doomsday or is your boy right? I mean you love to go on and on how you have sources close to Calhoun all the time.

Reaction Score

Quite frankly, the hiring of Mike T indicates to me something very different than what you are suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom