OT: Is There A Cure? | The Boneyard

OT: Is There A Cure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Or am I hopelessly hooked to my recently acquired addiction to golf? Is there a cure?

Took up the game on July 28th, and have been either at the driving range or on the course practically every day since.
Nevertheless, I absolutely suck. But that does not stop me. In fact, it keeps me going back for more. That cannot be normal.
I lose, at least, a box of golf balls a round. One time, I actually had to leave the course on the 9th tee having run out of golf balls, including the ones I had found in the woods. Needless to say, I do not play ProV1's.

Does anyone but Titleist market American made golf balls?

Contrary to what a poster responded about golf not being an expensive sport(it's like an owning a boat), golf is a very expensive sport. Clubs, balls, accessories, greens fees.

There is quite a market for golf equipment and supplies on Ebay. Great deals on used equipment, and sometimes unbelievable deals on new equipment.

At the course closest to my house, they are not very diligent about servicing the on course water dispensers. However, they diligently send out a young lady in a refreshment cart wearing short-shorts. It's not fair. But, I will start bringing a small cooler with me.

Above mentioned golf course sits in the middle of a relatively well to do neighborhood. It is an awful course, badly in need of rehab with a driving range that has not been open all summer due to swampy conditions. Travel 15 minutes south to Petersburg's city owned course, Dogwood Trace; The course is immaculate, their water dispensers are diligently serviced, Mondays are discounted for folks 55+, and, in addition to a nice driving range, they have a practice putting green, a practice bunker area, and a practice chipping green. Go figure!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I don't know if there's a cure. I've been searching for one since I was 12. Haven't found it yet.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is worth taking lessons from a good teaching pro. Find out who has a good reputation in your area and put aside enough money for a half a dozen lessons. It is a rhythm sport, you should be able to master it.

Reaction Score
Or am I hopelessly hooked to my recently acquired addiction to golf? Is there a cure?

Took up the game on July 28th, and have been either at the driving range or on the course practically every day since.
Nevertheless, I absolutely suck. But that does not stop me. In fact, it keeps me going back for more. That cannot be normal.
I lose, at least, a box of golf balls a round. One time, I actually had to leave the course on the 9th tee having run out of golf balls, including the ones I had found in the woods. Needless to say, I do not play ProV1's.

Contrary to what a poster responded about golf not being an expensive sport(it's like an owning a boat), golf is a very expensive sport. Clubs, balls, accessories, greens fees.

There is quite a market for golf equipment and supplies on Ebay. Great deals on used equipment, and sometimes unbelievable deals on new equipment.

At the course closest to my house, they are not very diligent about servicing the on course water dispensers. However, they diligently send out a young lady in a refreshment cart wearing short-shorts. It's not fair. But, I will start bringing a small cooler with me.

Above mentioned golf course sits in the middle of a relatively well to do neighborhood. It is an awful course, badly in need of rehab with a driving range that has not been open all summer due to swampy conditions. Travel 15 minutes south to Petersburg's city owned course, Dogwood Trace; The course is immaculate, their water dispensers are diligently serviced, Mondays are discounted for folks 55+, and, in addition to a nice driving range, they have a practice putting green, a practice bunker area, and a practice chipping green. Go figure!

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...At the course closest to my house, they are not very diligent about servicing the on course water dispensers. However, they diligently send out a young lady in a refreshment cart wearing short-shorts. It's not fair. But, I will start bringing a small cooler with me...It is an awful course, badly in need of rehab...

May I suggest the ancient wisdom transcribed from the Most Honorable sage Sun-Tsu’s Art of Golf :
Secret to Golf Happiness Tip #1: “Embrace what the course offers, Grasshopper.”
Existential interpretation: ‘Seek not to impose your will upon the course – rather, gather what fruit the course offers.’
Pragmatic interpretation: ‘Forget the small cooler! Offer to drive the nice lady in her cart!’
Marvin golf.jpg

Reaction Score

You officially have the "fever". #1. Get lessons. Just make sure you are comfortable with the teacher. The best "names" aren't always the best for you. #2-99. Practice. As an aside to high prices, making your own equipment can be reasonable and interesting. You need to lay out some money for the right equipment, but after that investment the clubs are cheap enough. Many clones are made in the factory next door to the top-of-the-line clubs in China, often using the same materials and designs. Maybe by the same people too.

Reaction Score

It's a great game and be patient......the ups and downs of the game are tremendous but the fact you can go out and compete with others, but really yourself the most, makes it addicting. In this area we have "ezlinks.com" which sometimes has nice deals on local and area courses as well as "Golfnow" which you see on the Golf Channel......be careful with those as they have some hidden costs on occasion........

Besides Titleist being in New Bedford MA there is also Callaway Golf (formerly Spalding and Top Flite) in Chicopee MA and both are very good customers of mine and are manufacturing balls in those facilities. The Top Flites are still owned by Callaway but most of the low end of balls have been shipped out to China. The Callaways you see on the tour and some of the 26.99 a dozen and up are still here ion New England.

Great game, stick to it, get a few lessons to understand the fundamentals of the swing and then do whatever is comfortable to you. When you start playing with others you will find participating in local tournies, handicaps included for you at this point, will make it more fun and the better players you play with will help you.........Good luck!!!!

Oh yeah getting fitted is pretty important to understand what you need to get right flight and ball speed as shafts become an issue as there are so many variables.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

I would strongly recommend a couple of lessons, so when you practice you can practice the correct way of hitting a golf ball. Also, buy your balls at a flea market or something similar. Your spending way too much on balls. And make sure you tip the girls in short shorts.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Re your original question... No.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Screw the expense of golf. Get a tennis racket. Really cheap sport.

Reaction Score
To think that I used to caddy as a youngster(Old Westbury Golf & Country Club) and was only mildly interested in playing.

Get used to the "fever" it gets worst as you get better....you have it made if my assumption is correct and you live in VA where you can pretty much play all year round. Try having to put them away for 3 months or so!!;)

Reaction Score
Get used to the "fever" it gets worst as you get better....you have it made if my assumption is correct and you live in VA where you can pretty much play all year round. Try having to put them away for 3 months or so!!;)

Yep, just south of Richmond.

It gets worse as you get better? Right now, my goals are modest
1. Break 130 legitimately
2. Finish a round using one ball
3. Reach a non Par 3 green in regulation.

Reaction Score
Plus it is hard to enjoy a frosty cold one between shots in tennis.

Exactly my thoughts icebear....lol

By the way VA if your #1 goal is to break 130 and reach a par4 in 2, you are hooked for a long time I'm afraid....nowhere to go but up!! LOL

Reaction Score

VAUconnFan: based upon your opening comments, i have a suggestion for a first step. in 1908 Arnold Haultain wrote one of the classics of golf, "The Mystery of Golf". get your hands on it as soon as possible .
In the Proem he writes:
Three things there are as unfathomable as they are fascinating to the masculine mind: metaphysics, golf, and the feminine heart. The Germans, I believe, pretend to have solved some of the riddles of the first, and the French to have unraveled some of the intricacies of the last; will some one tell us wherein lies the extraordinary fascination of golf?
and the first sentence of chapter one of the book reads: I am a recent convert to golf.
i've played the game for 50+ years, and find myself , especially after a trying day on the course, going back to and reading Haultain's words once again.

regarding lessons, i really think that they work best for young people just starting the game. i think that "older" people have too much muscle memory associated with other sports they have played, especially if they have played baseball. personally, after having played the game for 40+ years without ever having a lesson, i stumbled upon a book about 10 years ago that really changed my game. it's theories are controversial, and the title does not promote confidence. the book is "The Four Magic Moves to Winning Golf" by a club pro from named Joe Dante. the most controversial "move" , the first mentioned in the book, all by itself had me hitting the ball better than i ever had. it still is the one thing that allows me to keep a single digit handicap at a very challenging course, though i am in the super senior age category these days.
hopefully, you're walking the course when you play . with the walking and the swinging, it is 4+ hours of steady exercise, which you can continue for a long, long time. there is a woman at our course(one of those hilly western mass. courses) who plays 4-5 rounds a week, and is in her mid-eighties. and she walks! she pushes a cart these days, having stopped carrying her bag just 3 years ago.
excuse my rambling, but i just love the game, and am always excited to hear of someone else being "bitten" by it.

Reaction Score
VAUconnFan: based upon your opening comments, i have a suggestion for a first step. in 1908 Arnold Haultain wrote one of the classics of golf, "The Mystery of Golf". get your hands on it as soon as possible .
In the Proem he writes:
Three things there are as unfathomable as they are fascinating to the masculine mind: metaphysics, golf, and the feminine heart. The Germans, I believe, pretend to have solved some of the riddles of the first, and the French to have unraveled some of the intricacies of the last; will some one tell us wherein lies the extraordinary fascination of golf?
and the first sentence of chapter one of the book reads: I am a recent convert to golf.
i've played the game for 50+ years, and find myself , especially after a trying day on the course, going back to and reading Haultain's words once again.

regarding lessons, i really think that they work best for young people just starting the game. i think that "older" people have too much muscle memory associated with other sports they have played, especially if they have played baseball. personally, after having played the game for 40+ years without ever having a lesson, i stumbled upon a book about 10 years ago that really changed my game. it's theories are controversial, and the title does not promote confidence. the book is "The Four Magic Moves to Winning Golf" by a club pro from named Joe Dante. the most controversial "move" , the first mentioned in the book, all by itself had me hitting the ball better than i ever had. it still is the one thing that allows me to keep a single digit handicap at a very challenging course, though i am in the super senior age category these days.
hopefully, you're walking the course when you play . with the walking and the swinging, it is 4+ hours of steady exercise, which you can continue for a long, long time. there is a woman at our course(one of those hilly western mass. courses) who plays 4-5 rounds a week, and is in her mid-eighties. and she walks! she pushes a cart these days, having stopped carrying her bag just 3 years ago.
excuse my rambling, but i just love the game, and am always excited to hear of someone else being "bitten" by it.

You are absolutely right about muscle memory. Hitting a golf ball with a nice easy swing goes against every athleitc instinct developed over a lifetime. Yet, without doubt, the ball travels every bit as far with an easy swing as it does when you swing for the fences.

Your advice about " The Mystery of Golf" will be heeded.
The French are, undoubtedly, a whole lot smarter than I am when it comes to women.:)

Reaction Score
Yep, just south of Richmond.

It gets worse as you get better? Right now, my goals are modest
1. Break 130 legitimately
2. Finish a round using one ball
3. Reach a non Par 3 green in regulation.

1. This past Thursday shot a 126 could have been much, much better;
Posted a 12 on the Par 5 2nd; just chopping away from the rough, advancing the ball a few feet at a time.
There were at least 4 three putts from inside 12 feet
Needed three shots to get out of a bunker
Still, all in all, quite pleased
2. Only lost
3. Not yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics