OT: iPhone5 vs Galaxy SIII... who ya got? | The Boneyard

OT: iPhone5 vs Galaxy SIII... who ya got?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Need a new phone, I'm down to either the iPhone5 and the GS3. For those of you that have either one, would you mind sharing what you like/don't like about your phone. I have no ability to make a decision on my own, so I'm going to let you all persuade me.

THC

Reaction Score
Iphones are for teenie boppers, and people who don't know better. Galaxy S3 for the win.

Reaction Score
Iphones are for teenie boppers, and people who don't know better. Galaxy S3 for the win.
Exactly the type of response I was hoping not to see. Throw some facts or examples out there to back up your assertion of GS3 being far better, I want to learn.

Reaction Score
I own a Galaxy Nexus, it's somewhat similar to the S3, but has some hardware issues. That said, it is the first phone to have got Android 4.1, or Jellybean, which should be to the S3 soon. It's an amazing operating system, incredibly smooth, quick, Google Now is an innovative new concept. The iPhone 5 strikes me as more of a catch up to the times phone as opposed to creating something new phone. Also, it's oblong shape is very odd.

Reaction Score
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, which I love, but honestly, they're both great phones. It comes down to... what do you want?

With iPhone, you get the more polished devices. Apps go through more rigorous testing and are less likely to mess with your phone. An overall more polished experienced, and yet it doesn't give you the same amount of control of your own device.

With the Galaxy S3, you get the premium Android phone on the market. It's big, and sleek, and smooth, but it's still not quite up to the same polish as the iPhone 5, and it's not going to give you the same battery life, either. But you can do things like root it and install your own operating system (CyanogenMod is the gold standard), do off-the-grid tethering and other geeky .

It really comes down to what you care about: longer battery life and a more polished experience with a bigger app store, or a phone with a nicer screen, more customization, and more geeky stuff you can do with your phone?

For most people, an iPhone is probably the better choice. For a geek like me, though, I'll always lean Android.

Reaction Score
I had both.

Androids seem to have more features and more power. However they are notoriously glitchy. They will freeze and require rebooting and do funny stuff but have cool features and be fast. Also. Androids are friendly to file sharing. Etc.

iPhone. Very smooth. Thy is what u pay for. A phone that works flawlessly. You are a little more controlled by apple but they work great and are smooth

Reaction Score
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, which I love, but honestly, they're both great phones. It comes down to... what do you want?

With iPhone, you get the more polished devices. Apps go through more rigorous testing and are less likely to mess with your phone. An overall more polished experienced, and yet it doesn't give you the same amount of control of your own device.

With the Galaxy S3, you get the premium Android phone on the market. It's big, and sleek, and smooth, but it's still not quite up to the same polish as the iPhone 5, and it's not going to give you the same battery life, either. But you can do things like root it and install your own operating system (CyanogenMod is the gold standard), do off-the-grid tethering and other geeky .

It really comes down to what you care about: longer battery life and a more polished experience with a bigger app store, or a phone with a nicer screen, more customization, and more geeky stuff you can do with your phone?

For most people, an iPhone is probably the better choice. For a geek like me, though, I'll always lean Android.
.This is the type of stuff I was hoping for. There is only so much I can figure out looking at phones for 2 minutes at the store and trying to decipher what all the small print says. So, thank you.

THC

Reaction Score
Exactly the type of response I was hoping not to see. Throw some facts or examples out there to back up your assertion of GS3 being far better, I want to learn.
So what exactly do you want to do with your phone?

Reaction Score
I'm a batttery life kinda guy.. I'll pass on both and take a shot on the new Motorola Razr Maxx HD... next month when my Verizon upgrade discount kicks in... anybody know anything about this phone? I read up on it and it seems to have a ton of the same features, but most important, the battery lasts longer...

Reaction Score
Honestly, it comes down to how attached you are to the apple ecosystem. If you aren't it is a tossup in most ways but I would wait for the Samsung g4 which is jan or feb.

Reaction Score
Honestly, it comes down to how attached you are to the apple ecosystem. If you aren't it is a tossup in most ways but I would wait for the Samsung g4 which is jan or feb.
Are there any previews of that phone out there yet? I don't really want to wait that long but itd still be interesting to see what they had on tap

Reaction Score
So what exactly do you want to do with your phone?
I've had an HTC phone for the last 1.5 years, and I like it. My attraction to the iPhone5 is basically that I love my MacBook Pro and all my friends have them, so I assume there's gotta be something good about them.
Mostly what I'm looking for in a phone is reliability and battery life. I don't use any crazy apps outside of fantasy football, a few games, etc, so I'm not sure about how much customization I'd need.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have the S3 and dislike it. The build quality is marginal, the add-ons in Touch Wiz do not work well if at all and it may have the worst reception of any phone I have ever owned.

I much preferred the previous version of the Galaxy Note.

Reaction Score
I bought the little philly and myself Galaxy S3's about a month ago.....waiting patiently for Jelly Bean but otherwise, the phone has been flawless. I've always had android (back to the OG Moto Droid) but I own Apple too (2 iPads, iMac, 4,ooo or so iPods). I love the flexibility and customization of the android phones. Apple? I always find myself trying to force a process that Steve Jobs doesn't think I need to do.

Reaction Score
....Mostly what I'm looking for in a phone is reliability and battery life......

Basically, you need a phone to last 1 full day and they both do that....in my mind, there's no benefit to a battery that gets you halfway through day two.

Reaction Score
I'm a batttery life kinda guy.. I'll pass on both and take a shot on the new Motorola Razr Maxx HD... next month when my Verizon upgrade discount kicks in... anybody know anything about this phone? I read up on it and it seems to have a ton of the same features, but most important, the battery lasts longer...
I have this phone the battery life is off the chain, but I've only had it since this past Saturday. Incredibly much more smoother than my DROID x, the typing is much more precise and the screen is really HD quality.

It does have 1.2 gig processor, opposed to galaxy s3 with a 1.6, or iPhone 5 with 1.5, but I didn't notice any difference. I went with this phone over the other two because I'm notorious for dropping phones and hate the bulky otter box cases. I already dropped this on the screen and not even a scratch.

Reaction Score
I'll also add that I prefer Motorola phones over Samsung. The Samsung phones always feel flimsy to me while the Motorola's have a sturdier feel to them.

Reaction Score
Are there any previews of that phone out there yet? I don't really want to wait that long but itd still be interesting to see what they had on tap

Check techcrunch/venturebeat/mashable. A bunch of articles.

Reaction Score
With the Iphone you get a polished, simple, user friendly machine that wll always work well, though you basically need to be a slave to apple if you own any of their products.

With the S III you get a very customizable phone, but doesnt operate as smoothly as an I device. I have a samsung captivate that uses the galaxy SI, and though i love the widgets and apps I can customize, it tends to run slowly and lags alot. Can be pretty frustrating.

Reaction Score
I'd suggest checking them both out yourself and picking whichever one you like best. Crazy thought.

Reaction Score
I'd suggest checking them both out yourself and picking whichever one you like best. Crazy thought.
I clearly did that, dick. Like I said before, playing with a phone without knowing the ins and outs for 2 minutes in a store is completely different than someone using a phone for some time. Crazy thought.

THC

Reaction Score
Mostly what I'm looking for in a phone is reliability and battery life. I don't use any crazy apps outside of fantasy football, a few games, etc, so I'm not sure about how much customization I'd need.
Although I had the S2, and now S3 and love it, for your needs the iphone5 may be a better fit.

Reaction Score
I have this phone the battery life is off the chain, but I've only had it since this past Saturday. Incredibly much more smoother than my DROID x, the typing is much more precise and the screen is really HD quality.

It does have 1.2 gig processor, opposed to galaxy s3 with a 1.6, or iPhone 5 with 1.5, but I didn't notice any difference. I went with this phone over the other two because I'm notorious for dropping phones and hate the bulky otter box cases. I already dropped this on the screen and not even a scratch.
Thanks bro.. Sounds like I'm sold.. I'm still using an HTC Incredible 2 (3G).. the countdown is on til upgrade time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom