OT - In all the Celebration of March Madness - UNC | The Boneyard

OT - In all the Celebration of March Madness - UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So, I don't read or watch or listen to talk about the men's tournament and I just am wondering if anyone has heard a SINGLE word about the OBSCENITY that is UNC men playing in the NCAA tournament?

This is a school that has admitted to running an academic scam for 15+ years that included over 3000 student/classes that did not exist in any real sense, primarily for the benefit of Football, Man's Basketball, and Women's Basketball. All three teams should have been banned from post season play at least a year ago for multiple years, scholarships stripped and athletes give free transfer to any other school if they chose to do so. Instead the NCAA will write UNC a check for 100s of thousands of dollars for 'appearance fees' related to this years NCAA tournament and Mark Emmert will likely appear on stage to present them with a National Championship trophy with a grinning face.

That is obscene!

And the fact that not one single sports 'personality' or newspaper, or news station has had the balls to call the NCAA out during all this fawning adulation of March Madness is obscene.

And that the story this week is 'Is Uconn Bad for Women's College Basketball' is mind blowing!

The real story is 'UNC Is Living Proof that the NCAA is all about MONEY, and could give two hoots about students, education, fairness, or the stated aim of all its member institutions.

End of rant!

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Yes, yes, yes!

Reaction Score
Thanks for bringing this up.
I don't follow the men's game but in seeing a couple of the unavoidable Final 4 stories, I concluded
it must have been the OTHER NC school that was in trouble. No kidding - I didn't think the media could fairly cover the tournament without at least mentioning the school was "under a cloud". I usually try to take the "innocent until proven guilty" but, hasn't it been admitted there was a dirty culture?
All that said, after the tournament, all the scribes will Tsk - Tsk on cue with the rest of the Amen Chorus.

Reaction Score
So, I don't read or watch or listen to talk about the men's tournament and I just am wondering if anyone has heard a SINGLE word about the OBSCENITY that is UNC men playing in the NCAA tournament?

This is a school that has admitted to running an academic scam for 15+ years that included over 3000 student/classes that did not exist in any real sense, primarily for the benefit of Football, Man's Basketball, and Women's Basketball. All three teams should have been banned from post season play at least a year ago for multiple years, scholarships stripped and athletes give free transfer to any other school if they chose to do so. Instead the NCAA will write UNC a check for 100s of thousands of dollars for 'appearance fees' related to this years NCAA tournament and Mark Emmert will likely appear on stage to present them with a National Championship trophy with a grinning face.

That is obscene!

And the fact that not one single sports 'personality' or newspaper, or news station has had the balls to call the NCAA out during all this fawning adulation of March Madness is obscene.

And that the story this week is 'Is Uconn Bad for Women's College Basketball' is mind blowing!

The real story is 'UNC Is Living Proof that the NCAA is all about MONEY, and could give two hoots about students, education, fairness, or the stated aim of all its member institutions.

End of rant!
Mr. Emmert has more important things to do like slap Geno with secondary violations for having a five minute impromptu conversation with a 7th grader about a non-basketball sporting event in which she was partaking. When Mr. Emmert is done going through our WCBB program with a fine toothed comb, he will work on the men's team. Surely there is some obscure penalty that can be levied for Coach Ollie graduating less than 98% of his players. We can't expect Mr. Emmert to have time to be bothered with trivial things like long running academic scams at a prominent basketball school.

Reaction Score
I detest the fact that UNC has thus far escaped significant penalties for the ultimate example of a lack of institutional control. Now thus far I have heard the basketball coach telling everyone that his program was not involved, etc. Maybe we'll find out the truth in a couple of years. Now do I believe that the school made an 11th hour submission in which they admitted another "sin" thereby stopping the clock on the already running time on the 18 year fraud already confessed to so that they could contend for a title? Makes you wonder. The sadness at UNC is looking at how quickly, before indictments, trials, convictions they moved on Penn St. $60 mil fine, scholarships gone, coach fired, etc. Yet this academic fraud, admitted to some five years ago drags on and on and on... Emmert is the ultimate fraud.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

That is obscene!

End of rant!

Bravissimo! Akin to a certain quarterback's punishment to be determined after a certain bowl game. Apparently the NCAA investigation will never end, because they so want to get it right (this time).

Reaction Score
Mr. Emmert has more important things to do like slap Geno with secondary violations for having a five minute impromptu conversation with a 7th grader about a non-basketball sporting event in which she was partaking. When Mr. Emmert is done going through our WCBB program with a fine toothed comb, he will work on the men's team. Surely there is some obscure penalty that can be levied for Coach Ollie graduating less than 98% of his players. We can't expect Mr. Emmert to have time to be bothered with trivial things like long running academic scams at a prominent basketball school.
Don't forget he can do this retroactively.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
I have not been following this story very closely, but from what I understand, the NCAA investigation has not been completed yet. There was recently some chatter over on our men's board that UNC had expanded the investigation to involve (possibly newly self-reported infractions in?) other sports in order to delay the NCAA long enough to save the 2015-16 men's basketball team from whatever punishment it metes out. I don't know how much truth there is in that, but it seems plausible.
The (aptly titled) thread: http://the-boneyard.com/threads/a-disgusting-day-in-college-basketball.90451/

Reaction Score
Don't forget he can do this retroactively.
Oh I haven't forgotten, and neither has the rest of the College Basketball Capital (a.k.a. Storrs CT) even though Syracuse has recently been declared the center of the college basketball universe after this weekend.

Reaction Score
I have not been following this story very closely, but from what I understand, the NCAA investigation has not been completed yet. There was recently some chatter over on our men's board that UNC had expanded the investigation to involve (possibly newly self-reported infractions in?) other sports in order to delay the NCAA long enough to save the 2015-16 men's basketball team from whatever punishment it metes out. I don't know how much truth there is in that, but it seems plausible.
The (aptly titled) thread: http://the-boneyard.com/threads/a-disgusting-day-in-college-basketball.90451/
Of course it hasn't. When it's all finished, I bet the official findings will show that 99% of the infractions occurred on the women's synchronized swimming team, three football players, two women's basketball players, and a partridge in a pear tree.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes they did this, one might say cynically, about a month before the investigation was supposed to be completed, which extended the investigation for another year - I believe they found a couple of more emails regarding an athlete's grades, but I forget which sport.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In a preview of a prior game Seth Greenberg commented that UNC actually sought guidance from the NCAA before the tournament started and were told that a decision should come soon-within the next couple of month, conveniently after the tournament is over. Wink! Wink!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The NCAA is an appallingly corrupt organization which deserves to lose every benefit our Congress, in its infinite wisdom, has chosen to bestow upon that rat's nest full of slime.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just thought I would bump this again, because it still makes me furious.

Reaction Score
It's like in the movie "Casablanca" where they know who committed the crime but instead "round up the usual suspects". They know what UNC did, they know they need to apply the death penalty to their programs but they wouldn't dare. So instead, they hunt around looking for other schools who committed minor violation so they can punish them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom