OT: Impossibly beautiful music | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Impossibly beautiful music

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There's so much good music out there, some of which sadly barely finds an audience. I'm not one to say all popular music sucks, but I do think some of the obscure artists are definitely way more talented than the megastars. The music biz is strange and often inexplicable to me.

I would say it's generally been the case that the best music is not that popular, and that popular music is generally the lowest common denominator. As Derek Schulman of Gentle Giant said, "We wanted to make great music with the likely result of being very unpopular." They actually had some limited success, but if musicianship and exceptional music were indicators of success, they would have been huge.

I was thinking of posting something of theirs. Their first album was very hard rocking and (like most of their stuff) very noisy. This cut is just beautiful, though:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I would say it's generally been the case that the best music is not that popular, and that popular music is generally the lowest common denominator. As Derek Schulman of Gentle Giant said, "We wanted to make great music with the likely result of being very unpopular." They actually had some limited success, but if musicianship and exceptional music were indicators of success, they would have been huge.

I was thinking of posting something of theirs. Their first album was very hard rocking and (like most of their stuff) very noisy. This cut is just beautiful, though:

That's interesting. I don't know about their other stuff, but the vocals on this track are giving me a bit of a Crosby, Stills and Nash vibe.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Here's some more symphonic metal for ya, a cover of a James Bond theme song. I think the audio and video aren't quite synced from this concert footage, so it looks a bit odd.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Love it. The Celts are killin' it in this thread

Did a horseback trip in Ireland 20 years ago along Ireland's own trail of tears, ending on the cliffs overlooking the Atlantic where so many threw themselves off in the Potato famine. Wind lashed and raining that day.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Did a horseback trip in Ireland 20 years ago along Ireland's own trail of tears, ending on the cliffs overlooking the Atlantic where so many threw themselves off in the Potato famine. Wind lashed and raining that day.
It is a beautiful, sad, place. W. B Yeats, the Irish poet who fled Ireland for France , said of the Irish: "Too long a sacrifice can make a stone of the heart". But they make wonderful music, and fine whiskey. :(:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom