Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Probably want winter boots, for now.

Any suggestions?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Bought at pair of Wolverine hiking boots last year at Bob's. Put a couple coats of water proofer on them and they are more than sufficient in the snow.

Reaction Score
If you want winter boots, I'm a big fan of Sorel....they will keep your feet warm in any temp. I still have a pair I bought 10 years ago. The winter boot is a bit bulky, but they do have a hiking boot too.

Reaction Score
If you want winter boots, I'm a big fan of Sorel....they will keep your feet warm in any temp. I still have a pair I bought 10 years ago. The winter boot is a bit bulky, but they do have a hiking boot too.
Can't beat Sorels for warmth!

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
/r/Buyitforlife will have all the answers you are looking for.

Reaction Score
I buy most all my footwear there. Register and they'll email some great offers. I just bought a pair of Ecco boots but I hate them and they're going back. I have a pair of Merrell's I like a lot.

I get 30 and 40% off all the time via e coupon

Reaction Score
Depends what you're going to use them for here's some hiking boots and hunting boots I've had good experience with (I'm a bit of a shoe hoarder):

Hiking
-Asolo
-Lowa
-Danner
-Vasque

Hunting
-Danner
-Kenetrek

I also have Sorrells for getting on the sled.

My all time two favorite pair or boots are from White's and Nick's, but you've got to be prepared to pay for them - but they are well worth it to me.

Reaction Score
Merrill Wilderness boots. Classic Alpine look. Warm but not over insulated, and they will last forever..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 11.23.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 11.23.42 AM.png
    322.5 KB · Views: 42

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Depends what you're going to use them for here's some hiking boots and hunting boots I've had good experience with (I'm a bit of a shoe hoarder):

Hiking
-Asolo
-Lowa
-Danner
-Vasque

Hunting
-Danner
-Kenetrek

I also have Sorrells for getting on the sled.

My all time two favorite pair or boots are from White's and Nick's, but you've got to be prepared to pay for them - but they are well worth it to me.
Sierratradingpost.com cannot be beat for boots. Northbound and I have similar taste, Asolo and Lowa fit snug at instep/ankle and not to snug at toes on my long foot. I have Italian boots from Sierra Trading Post (Alicio?) that carried me many miles in the Sirra Nevada.
One trick might be to try them at REI or EMS the order from on-line. STP has easy return policy procedure.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Are you looking for hiking boots or just winter boots? If you want hiking boots, it kind of depends on what your foot is like. For me, I have a high arch and am a smaller guy and Scarpas work great...they're a snug fit and are really high quality. Have used them for going on three years of hard hiking. I'm not sure what you'd want if you had a wider foot. If you're looking for a winter boot, I'd just go with something from LL Bean, Sorrel or just a pair of waterproof Red Wing work boots

Reaction Score
I was looking for something better, and more weatherproof, than sneakers or shoes for the winter, but not as heavy and clunky as Timberland style boots. I bought Merrell mid-height hiking boots at Bob's and I couldn't be happier. They are super comfortable, light, very durable and mostly weatherproof. About $110 and well worth it. For regular winter boots you can't go wrong with Timberlands.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I was looking for something better, and more weatherproof, than sneakers or shoes for the winter, but not as heavy and clunky as Timberland style boots. I bought Merrell mid-height hiking boots at Bob's and I couldn't be happier. They are super comfortable, light, very durable and mostly weatherproof. About $110 and well worth it. For regular winter boots you can't go wrong with Timberlands.
Same boat, which is exactly why I bought the Wolverines for $30 less expensive (even more so with a coupon).

Reaction Score
Hey Big 12! We have people who hunt and enjoy the great outdoors! Country mouse!

Reaction Score
Sierra Trading Post also for running, cross training, mens shoes, big discounts but it can be hit or miss.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of the advice above. Sierra Trading Post is great but hit or miss in terms of sizes and styles.

For hiking boots, if you don't have any prior experience with them, you absolutely want to go somewhere like EMS or REI first and spend some time with a salesperson who knows what s/he is doing (in CT, Trailblazer and Denali are excellent stores for knowledgeable sales staff), because you want to make sure you know what to look for in the fit and how your particular foot characteristics will affect the sizing of a particular brand and style. Once you settle on a size and style, if you want to shop for the cheapest price it's easy enough to search the web for the best deal on them.

The best pair I ever had were a style of Vasque that they no longer make, and I haven't found their more recent lasts to be a good fit for my foot. Similar experience with Asolo. Used to love Hi Tecs but not sure about their quality anymore. If you are doing semi-serious hiking you want all leather or some combination of leather and Gore-Tex. And a Vibram sole. Definitely a Vibram sole. Merrells are generally a more comfortable but less precise fit in my experience. LL Bean is always worth a look, too, especially with their generous return policy.

If you want winter boots that aren't necessarily hiking boots, look no further than the Keen Anchorage or Anchorage II (depending on whether you want insulated or not). They are pull-on boots, which makes the on-and-off soooo much easier when you are running around a lot. I think I wore them for almost three months straight last winter, including to work most days, and only took them off to put on my ski boots (and the Keens are great for wearing to the ski mountain, again for the easy-on, easy-off). I got the un-insulated ones because my feet run warm and I would rather add a pair of heavier wool socks when needed than risk being too hot.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I have been in the same pair of HiTech Altitude IV boots for 8 years. Reasonably priced, and if I ever wear them out, I'd buy another pair in a New York minute.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Ohhhhhhhh @diggerfoot !!

Sorry, don't log on much these days. I would have to know more about the purpose of the winter boots. Limmers are the most renowned custom-made boots (I have had several pairs over the years), but they are very heavy and won't keep your feet as warm as Sorrels or comparable lined boots. I'm sure there are people more up on this than I am now, but since you shouted out and I saw the mention of Limmers I wanted to add that caution.

Reaction Score
Sorels for warmth, Salomon for comfort. I have foot issues and Salomons are by far the most comfortable hiking footwear I've ever owned, and I've tried a lot.

Reaction Score
This thread started a couple weeks ago, I assume you have bought and are already wearing the boots. If not we should change this thread to sandals soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom