OT: Hurricane Matthew...Mayday | The Boneyard

OT: Hurricane Matthew...Mayday

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
No, no music this time, for events down here are nothing to sing about.

I'm in the path, and I imagine the bulk of you in Florida eastern Ga. & SC are paying close attention.
If you've been watching the weather channel, you hear Melbourne mentioned a whole lot.
My high school girl friend in hunkering down there, and their damage will be catastrophic.
If I only lose my shed and my carport, I'll think myself lucky

More than a decade ago. Charley came right through Sanford, but fast-moving and with "friendlier" winds, so it wasn't too bad. This one will be a corker.

So for the rest of you southmates who haven't evacuated yet, what's your plan?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not in the south but wishing all Southerners in Matt's path well.
Heard something bizarre-that Matt might actually circle back and hit the same place in Florida TWICE!
Be safe.

Reaction Score

I'm in the path, and I imagine the bulk of you in Florida eastern Ga. & SC are paying close attention.
If you've been watching the weather channel, you hear Melbourne mentioned a whole lot.
My high school girl friend in hunkering down there, and their damage will be catastrophic.

More than a decade ago. Charley came right through Sanford, but fast-moving and with "friendlier" winds, so it wasn't too bad. This one will be a corker.

Heed the warnings!
Be safe!
Everything can be replaced but lives!
Fare well Your Eminence.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Not in the south but wishing all Southerners in Matt's path well.
Heard something bizarre-that Matt might actually circle back and hit the same place in Florida TWICE!
Be safe.

Yeah, particularly the Miami area, which will be pummeled this eve as part one.

Reaction Score

Wire Chief--I lived on Melbourne Beach for a couple of years and ran inland twice ---things worked out well for us.
Chief--I know the traffic is horrendous--I don't trust this storm
I wish there was more I could say or any good advise I could give---good luck.

Reaction Score
Yes, be safe. Like Coco, I've heard you may get it twice (as a 3-4 and then again as a 1), so no letting down of guard. Fill bathtub with drinking water, etc. Once you get power again, post a new song theme to let us know you're safe!

Reaction Score
<snip>

I've been emailing a friend in Boynton Beach who went inland to stay with her daughter. Calling Cassleberry, no answer. Hope he went west, can't say for sure. Concerned, of course.

Thanks for sharing,

hopes and prayers.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Move from CT 6 weeks ago to the Poinciana area of central Florida. Obviously watching the weather very closely.

We live in a 55+ community. We should not need to evacuate but we are stocked up with what we will need. Present forecast has the early feeder bands starting later this afternoon. We could be getting 60 to 70 mph winds overnight into tomorrow. The village in the community is closed down today and tomorrow. House is built to withstand winds up to 140 mph per code. All cables are underground and no big trees around the house.

Went out and gased up the car this morning. That was fun! Finished cleaning up the garage so we can get the cars in. Trying to get more of my workshop set up today. Charging up all the electronics and my 19 volt batteries for power tools. I can use them for my big flashlight.

Our younget son and his wife live on base in GA. He's Navy. They just got the evac order about 30 miutes ago. Haven't heard from them yet. However, the base housing and other structures are built to withstand hurricanes. Plus the base has huge aux generators to power the base.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This is probably because of the weather song thread from last week. ;)

Hey, stay safe. Best of luck, get as prepared as you can.

Hope it doesn't circle back on you guys, but glad it's not coming up to the NE.

Reaction Score
I live in Orlando, and prayi

So for the rest of you southmates who haven't evacuat

I am in Orlando, and praying this one stays off shore. But, it looks like we are going to feel the pain. Just so we get power back by 10/14, so I can follow First Night

Reaction Score
Move from CT 6 weeks ago to the Poinciana area of central Florida. Obviously watching the weather very closely.

We live in a 55+ community. We should not need to evacuate but we are stocked up with what we will need. Present forecast has the early feeder bands starting later this afternoon. We could be getting 60 to 70 mph winds overnight into tomorrow. The village in the community is closed down today and tomorrow. House is built to withstand winds up to 140 mph per code. All cables are underground and no big trees around the house.

Went out and gased up the car this morning. That was fun! Finished cleaning up the garage so we can get the cars in. Trying to get more of my workshop set up today. Charging up all the electronics and my 19 volt batteries for power tools. I can use them for my big flashlight.

Our younget son and his wife live on base in GA. He's Navy. They just got the evac order about 30 miutes ago. Haven't heard from them yet. However, the base housing and other structures are built to withstand hurricanes. Plus the base has huge aux generators to power the base.[/Q Do you live in Solivita? I do. We will have to communicate, are you on NEXTDOOR (Solivita site). Good luck in the Hurricane. Pray for all of us in the path.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Herbier - yes, we live in Solivita. Not on next-door. We are on the Solivita/ AV Homes site. I'll have to check it out.

We heard from our Navy son about 1/2 hour ago. They must evacuate. We offered then here. He's ready but his wife doesn't want to drive to Florida. She thinks we're in the direct path of Matthew. So who knows. He has to be within a 200 mile radius of the base. We might be out of range.

Stay safe.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
My wife is touring with a group near Americus, GA. I am a little worried. She is schedule to depart Hartsfield on Sunday. She says it won't be a problem.

Reaction Score
My wife is touring with a group near Americus, GA. I am a little worried. She is schedule to depart Hartsfield on Sunday. She says it won't be a problem.
My thoughts and well wishes are with all of our Florida friends this morning, especially with "Chief" who is no doubt seeing the worst of it as I type. When you get a chance please let us know that you are safe and sound.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Hope all our Floridians and Georgians are safe and well.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
In another few hours central Florida will be clear of Matthew. Here in Kissimmee/ Poinciana there has been rain, steady winds (not more than 20 mph) and a few gusts. Skys are getting lighter. Rain has tapered off to a light drizzle. Jacksonville is now the focus.

Reaction Score
Here in Boynton Beach, Florida it was just a wind and rain event. The 4 hour Northern movement of Matthew, in the afternoon, saved a lot of the coastal area of southeastern Florida. Woke up this A.M. and was happy to see no damage in my community

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Keep reports coming, weather reporting agencies are tough to sort out, as they will show the worst of it - which is important to see, no doubt, but they don't always make it clear where it isn't so bad.

My own interest is South Carolina, where the mother-in-law's home is vacant and under contract to sell (woo-hoo!). But Conway, where folks normally flee to during coastal storms (its 10 miles or so inland) is under evacuation orders this time, and no one to put up storm shutters or see what happens.

Most important, everyone be safe.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Lake Wales,here,and it wasn't bad to any degree here.I thought that the wind wouldn't be too bad,and it wasn't.I hope you closer to the shore did well.I was in Kissimmee for Charley and the next two,and it was not a pleasant experience.Hope you still have power.

Reaction Score
I have a home on Seabrook Island SC that I have only owned for 15 months- I was planning on heading there end of the month for the winter, but now, who knows!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Thanks for your good wishes. Matt stayed offshore enough that my area, about 30 miles inland, had tropical wind, but not too bad. Some county roads were closed over flood and fallen tree issues. My power was out a day & a half, with fridge restoring itself as I write.
I'm not up to date on northern problems, but I think St Augustine and Jacksonville were hit hard.

Reaction Score
Only posted with good energy for all in Matthews path (and with acknowledgement of the joy your OT music threads create):

Reaction Score
We moved to Fort Pierce, FL three weeks before the storm. Welcome to Florida! Moved all the outdoor stuff indoors and packed up the dogs and cats in the 17-foot travel trailer we just used to travel cross country and drove to an RV park 110 miles west. (An aside: A friend,upon hearing how we packed that trailer with animals and us, observed that we were allotting two linear feet per mammal, and that just wasn't enough). As it happened, the storm jogged east a bit and it saved us all. We had some palm fronds on the lawn, bu no damage. Dodged a bullet for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom