OT: HELP from computer nerds - er- geniuses needed | The Boneyard

OT: HELP from computer nerds - er- geniuses needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I just found out that Windows 10 apparently suffers from something affectionately known as "blue screen syndrome", when my laptop was just sitting doing a quick virus scan! "If you want to learn about what just happened to your computer research DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION." I saw enough to see that this problem has been around since at least Windows 8 and I can expect it to return, that it has something to do with video card Windows interaction! I hate Microsoft. Please no Get Yourself Apple etc. Anyone know of a patch?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have another question for anyone if they know - my windows based laptop, which has windows 10, gives me an error message literally every 5 minutes 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

It basically says:

"Low disk space. you are running low on disk space. Please see about cleaning your computer or deleting items from your system" blah blah.

I looked up on the net for solutions and couldn't find anything that makes sense. Anyone know of a solution?

Reaction Score
I have another question for anyone if they know - my windows based laptop, which has windows 10, gives me an error message literally every 5 minutes 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

It basically says:

"Low disk space. you are running low on disk space. Please see about cleaning your computer or deleting items from your system" blah blah.

I looked up on the net for solutions and couldn't find anything that makes sense. Anyone know of a solution?

I was getting that on my desktop, where it had a 15 gig disk for ready boost. It was always giving me that warning until it was set up correctly. Now it uses all of it except 100 megs, and no warnings.

Reaction Score

It basically says:

Try deleting an new files you dragged in after you updated to win 10--chances are you have and ad program trying to sell you Genuine Microsoft (approved) fit it programs. It is 10 times more difficult to search for new programs loaded in from Win 7 that gave you a list and you could delete knowing the date and not the name. Win 10 want's a specific name--Oh, ain't win 10 wonderful.

Reaction Score
I just found out that Windows 10 apparently suffers from something affectionately known as "blue screen syndrome", when my laptop was just sitting doing a quick virus scan! "If you want to learn about what just happened to your computer research DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION." I saw enough to see that this problem has been around since at least Windows 8 and I can expect it to return, that it has something to do with video card Windows interaction! I hate Microsoft. Please no Get Yourself Apple etc. Anyone know of a patch?
I get the blue screen 30 times a day or more--just hit on the "white" area and it goes away (usually, not always)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Try deleting an new files you dragged in after you updated to win 10--chances are you have and ad program trying to sell you Genuine Microsoft (approved) fit it programs. It is 10 times more difficult to search for new programs loaded in from Win 7 that gave you a list and you could delete knowing the date and not the name. Win 10 want's a specific name--Oh, ain't win 10 wonderful.
I understood the first 5 words and then after that - remember the Peanuts specials when adults would talk? All I heard was "muah muha muah..." LOL

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just so you windows users don't feel completely blue - Apple just did an update and now I am have serious problems with my printer/scanner connections - every time I go to use one or the other it has issues finding them or thinks they are already in use and just waits. After lots of reloads of print drivers I have found the easiest way to solve this is to unplug the printer/scanner each time I need to use it and then plug it back in again.
And I use a lap top hooked up to an Apple monitor - about once a day when I wake it up again, it does not send video signal to the monitor until I open the lid of the laptop.
So no, Apple is not perfect either - and I think it is getting sloppier each year.

Reaction Score

It basically says:

Eric,

Have you looked at your hard drive in File Explorer? And, if so, is it showing most of the drive in use? One program that I have found helpful is Glary Utilities. It has a number of system maintenance tools, including one to clean unnecessary files and folders. The program is free and can be found at http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/freeware.html. Just type Glary Utilities in the search bar on the upper right of the page.

"I just found out that Windows 10 apparently suffers from something affectionately known as "blue screen syndrome", when my laptop was just sitting doing a quick virus scan! "If you want to learn about what just happened to your computer research DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION." I saw enough to see that this problem has been around since at least Windows 8 and I can expect it to return, that it has something to do with video card Windows interaction! I hate Microsoft. Please no Get Yourself Apple etc. Anyone know of a patch?"

Rocky,

To give you a more precise answer, more information about the occurrence and your computer may be necessary. As a general matter though, outdated drivers are frequently a cause of this particular problem. If you have not done so it would be advisable to update your drivers. A program from iObit called Driver Booster 3 does a reasonably good job of advising about outdated drivers and downloading/installing the latest drivers. There is a free version which can be found at the link that I provided. When installing the program (if you do) be careful at the installation. The program wants to install Advanced System Care as well and you need to uncheck box to avoid this install. Nothing wrong with Advanced System Care, which is a system maintenance program, I just happen to like Glary Utilities better. One thing, Driver Booster has an option to update all your outdated drivers with one click. My experience has been that this can sometimes overload the system, either causing a system freeze or shutdown. I would recommend updating any outdated drivers one by one.

As you can probably tell from my suggestion, I am a fan of free software! Good Luck with any fixes, and I hope this helps both of you.

If these solutions don't work for one or both of you, an alternative would be to let me "look" at your computer using remote computing. I use another program called TeamViewer, which is free for personal/non-commercial use. This would allow me to access your computer on a one time basis using a password that is generated by the program and see if I can find the/a problem. It would be done while in telephone contact, so we would have to exchange information and arrange a time when we were both available. Let me know if you want to give this a try if my general suggestions don't provide relief from your problem.

Jim

Reaction Score
Try using CCleaner it helps keep your computer running faster by getting rid of old internet files and cookies... if you use the basic edition it's free, go to www.CCleaner.com

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Eric,

Have you looked at your hard drive in File Explorer? And, if so, is it showing most of the drive in use? One program that I have found helpful is Glary Utilities. It has a number of system maintenance tools, including one to clean unnecessary files and folders. The program is free and can be found at http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/freeware.html. Just type Glary Utilities in the search bar on the upper right of the page.

"I just found out that Windows 10 apparently suffers from something affectionately known as "blue screen syndrome", when my laptop was just sitting doing a quick virus scan! "If you want to learn about what just happened to your computer research DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION." I saw enough to see that this problem has been around since at least Windows 8 and I can expect it to return, that it has something to do with video card Windows interaction! I hate Microsoft. Please no Get Yourself Apple etc. Anyone know of a patch?"

Rocky,

To give you a more precise answer, more information about the occurrence and your computer may be necessary. As a general matter though, outdated drivers are frequently a cause of this particular problem. If you have not done so it would be advisable to update your drivers. A program from iObit called Driver Booster 3 does a reasonably good job of advising about outdated drivers and downloading/installing the latest drivers. There is a free version which can be found at the link that I provided. When installing the program (if you do) be careful at the installation. The program wants to install Advanced System Care as well and you need to uncheck box to avoid this install. Nothing wrong with Advanced System Care, which is a system maintenance program, I just happen to like Glary Utilities better. One thing, Driver Booster has an option to update all your outdated drivers with one click. My experience has been that this can sometimes overload the system, either causing a system freeze or shutdown. I would recommend updating any outdated drivers one by one.

As you can probably tell from my suggestion, I am a fan of free software! Good Luck with any fixes, and I hope this helps both of you.

If these solutions don't work for one or both of you, an alternative would be to let me "look" at your computer using remote computing. I use another program called TeamViewer, which is free for personal/non-commercial use. This would allow me to access your computer on a one time basis using a password that is generated by the program and see if I can find the/a problem. It would be done while in telephone contact, so we would have to exchange information and arrange a time when we were both available. Let me know if you want to give this a try if my general suggestions don't provide relief from your problem.

Jim

Thank you for the effort that went into this! Will work on it.

Reaction Score
Just so you windows users don't feel completely blue - Apple just did an update and now I am have serious problems with my printer/scanner connections - every time I go to use one or the other it has issues finding them or thinks they are already in use and just waits. After lots of reloads of print drivers I have found the easiest way to solve this is to unplug the printer/scanner each time I need to use it and then plug it back in again.
And I use a lap top hooked up to an Apple monitor - about once a day when I wake it up again, it does not send video signal to the monitor until I open the lid of the laptop.
So no, Apple is not perfect either - and I think it is getting sloppier each year.
Are you talking about the OSX El Capitan upgrade? (I haven't done it yet)

Reaction Score
I understood the first 5 words and then after that - remember the Peanuts specials when adults would talk? All I heard was "muah muha muah..." LOL
Muha muha muha Windows 10--@#%$%^ I just love it.
If after you downloaded or using a disk installed Windows 10---you installed or downloaded something from the web--it usually happens that they put a program buried within the download that tells you how bad your system or some part is and that you MUST fix it NOW---so just pay them UMPTEEN dollars and they will fix (what isn't broken). So uninstall that program if you can find it within Win 10. In Windows 7 you just went to Features and uninstalls--and look for the most recent program that you don't recognize and uninstall it--good luck
Hope this explains the Muha--Muha --Muha.

Reaction Score
Windows 10 has actually made it significantly easier to find some of the features easily available in Windows 7 and almost impossible to find in Windows 8. To get to the Control Panel just right click on the start button in Windows 10. From there you will get a page listing that allows you to enter things like Task Manager, Computer Management, System Info and the Control Panel. It also has a shortcut directly to Programs and Features to get to the uninstall utility. Although, (again with the free stuff!) I prefer Revo Uninstaller.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog