OT: Hard Rock Hartford | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Hard Rock Hartford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I mentioned Arch Street as really the only currently viable place.

Infinity has put on some decent stuff, but with nowhere near the regularity of College Street and FTC and while I had a good experience there too, they are charging exorbitantly prohibitive prices there that are seeming to put a damper on peoples enthusiasm for going there.
For example Max Creek played there not to long ago, with fees a ticket was 40 bucks. I can see Creek in a lot of places for never less than 15 and never more than 25.
Yeah I just checked their calendar since posting and, while there are some decent shows coming up, they seem to be fewer and farther between than when they first opened (when CSMH and FTC's Warehouse didn't exist). Lots of "tribute" bands now, which is not a good direction.

Reaction Score
Downtown hartfords pretty safe. however there are a ton of unruly homeless people toward the south end/ hh area ( xl center + bar scene is full of yuppies usually) . For instance a coworker of mine was assaulted a year ago leaving work right near bushnell park. then this other lady i work with got jacked for her mobile phone in broad daylight in the middle of bushnell park. waxes and wanes but i feel generally safe in hartford as long as i'm not walking around washington st at 11 pm or standing on the corner of sigourney and albany.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Infinity is great, but the acts coming in skew older than a place like College Street.

Reaction Score
None of those cities are close to Hartford for history (Mark Twain House, Old State House, Colt,) culture (Wadsworths) Music venues from large to small like the Webster, to Meadows, Infinity, Both Bushnell Auditoriums, There is a high end theater scene between the Bushnell, Hartford Stage and theater works. Throw in the riverfront, Front Street, the civic center the new ball park. I could go on, this is off the top of my head.

When was the last time anyone here spent a day at the Mark Twain House or the Old State House?

Reaction Score
Here is my take (filtered through the myopic lens of a working musician). Hartford has some great restaurants and some pretty cool cultural offerings. I have noticed an improvement over the last 5 years. The thing is that those cool cultural offerings and high end restaurants attract an older demographic. Older demographics will go out and spend decent money, but not with a frequency that makes a city seem vibrant. A city will only ever be as strong as its ability to attract young people. They may spend less money per night, but they go out way more frequently. Last Friday night I was on Crown Street in New Haven and at 8:00 pm that street and the cross streets were teaming with people. Going out to eat, maybe a beer or two, and then they end up at the clubs either dancing or going to see live music. I never get that same vibe in Hartford. Not in Union place, not anywhere. West Hartford center, maybe but that aint Hartford, and that is for the "deep pocket" crowd anyway. Through the 80's and early 90's Hartford had the best entertainment options in the state. More bars that attracted more bands which in turn attracted young people. From the late 90's through 2010 for whatever reason, the city absolutely died. National touring bands on their way up dont usually stop in Hartford. ( look at what College Street Music Hall is getting in New Haven in the last couple months. or FTC in Fairfield. None of those acts stop in Hartford). As a rule in my business, you want to play where the people will go see you. In my case and in many of my local peers case that is not in Hartford. You would be hard pressed to name anything besides Arch Street that features local live music that live music aficionados would go to attend in any regularity. When I want to hit the Hartford Market I end up playing Manchester. We do better there than we do in downtown Hartford. Hartford really needs to work on attracting young people back. The Hard Rock Cafe and a Minor League baseball team dont seem like the recipe to me. Just more of the same. I think overall it helps the cities image, sure. It wont hurt having a Hard Rock hotel, it wont hurt having a cool inner city baseball stadium, but I dont think it will move the needle on the issues Im describing.
Here is my take (filtered through the myopic lens of a working musician). Hartford has some great restaurants and some pretty cool cultural offerings. I have noticed an improvement over the last 5 years. The thing is that those cool cultural offerings and high end restaurants attract an older demographic. Older demographics will go out and spend decent money, but not with a frequency that makes a city seem vibrant. A city will only ever be as strong as its ability to attract young people. They may spend less money per night, but they go out way more frequently. Last Friday night I was on Crown Street in New Haven and at 8:00 pm that street and the cross streets were teaming with people. Going out to eat, maybe a beer or two, and then they end up at the clubs either dancing or going to see live music. I never get that same vibe in Hartford. Not in Union place, not anywhere. West Hartford center, maybe but that aint Hartford, and that is for the "deep pocket" crowd anyway. Through the 80's and early 90's Hartford had the best entertainment options in the state. More bars that attracted more bands which in turn attracted young people. From the late 90's through 2010 for whatever reason, the city absolutely died. National touring bands on their way up dont usually stop in Hartford. ( look at what College Street Music Hall is getting in New Haven in the last couple months. or FTC in Fairfield. None of those acts stop in Hartford). As a rule in my business, you want to play where the people will go see you. In my case and in many of my local peers case that is not in Hartford. You would be hard pressed to name anything besides Arch Street that features local live music that live music aficionados would go to attend in any regularity. When I want to hit the Hartford Market I end up playing Manchester. We do better there than we do in downtown Hartford. Hartford really needs to work on attracting young people back. The Hard Rock Cafe and a Minor League baseball team dont seem like the recipe to me. Just more of the same. I think overall it helps the cities image, sure. It wont hurt having a Hard Rock hotel, it wont hurt having a cool inner city baseball stadium, but I dont think it will move the needle on the issues Im describing.

While the Hartford music scene is sometimes young and hip, it tends to be wiped out by the negative vibe of corporate and older sporting-event types of people. who think that top-40 is haute couture. Not much fun when your favorite bands aren't favored by scads of Whaler fans, who show up after the game.

Reaction Score
for games we do on-street parking over near the Science Center and walk over to XL. There's definitely been some sketchy characters over the years. Also, some of the streets need much better lighting on the sidewalk areas. And additionally, Hartford does an awful job at clearing the sidewalks of ice and snow. I'm betting they've had some doozy lawsuits over slip n' falls.

Reaction Score
I've heard people gush about Providence which is basically a mall that sets its river on fire. None of those cities are close to Hartford for history (Mark Twain House, Old State House, Colt,) culture (Wadsworths) Music venues from large to small like the Webster, to Meadows, Infinity, Both Bushnell Auditoriums, There is a high end theater scene between the Bushnell, Hartford Stage and theater works. Throw in the riverfront, Front Street, the civic center the new ball park. I could go on, this is off the top of my head.

Have you actually set foot in the city of Providence? I can't imagine you have. That comparison is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I love the comments about Hartford being a safe city and the sentiment that the worry over crime is foolish.

As of a month or two ago, Hartford had the most murders of the 9 largest cities in New England. As of September, Hartford had 24 murders and Boston had 23 (with a population 5X greater). Where the new park is going in? It's only a couple blocks before the neighborhood deteriorates rapidly. There was 3 murders this spring on Belden and Donald St which are 0.3-0.5 m away from where the new stadium is going. So you never felt scared walking from the Civic Center to the parking garage a block away? Doesn't mean Hartford isn't Murdertown.

Check the stats for Downtown Hartford. You will find fairly low crime rates across the board. The murder rate is off the charts, but rarely is it Downtown and rarely does it involve people who aren't in "the game".

Reaction Score
Check the stats for Downtown Hartford. You will find fairly low crime rates across the board. The murder rate is off the charts, but rarely is it Downtown and rarely does it involve people who aren't in "the game".
omar.png

Reaction Score
I'll tell you something that has never helped Hartford, the suck attitude from the majority of CT. residents towards it's state capital. All I hear is the suburbanites talking about how the city has no redeeming qualities and is more dangerous than Fallujah. It's certainly one thing I've never missed since leaving Connecticut, the attitudes of so many residents is just piss poor. Instead of constantly bashing Hartford why not drive in and seek out some of the culture it offers and spend a little money to support it's merchants.

Agree with this completely. The issue in CT is that everyone is separated into their 169 fiefdoms. The city of Hartford has to have the smallest area of any large (>1,000,000 person) metro area. If Hartford were in any other state, the city would include West Hartford, East Hartford, Windsor, Wethersfield, and so on. This means that many people in the suburbs view Hartford as separate from their own communities in that the city's problems aren't their problems. But the fact remains, for the success of the city plays a huge role in the strength of the metro area and the state.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
nothing exciting about this, wish they opened up a good burger spot like a burger fi or shake shack instead. It would do well with the lunch crowd as there is like 1 good quick sandwich spot downtown.

Eh shake shack blows. Ok taste, but you pay out the nose for a burger the size of a chips ahoy.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Harriet Beecher Stowe house could upgrade with some craft Double IPAs and some brick oven pizza and we may be onto something .

Funny you say that, but I always thought a 'Booze With Twain' exhibit at the MT House would have killed it.

EDIT: If they really went for it, they could even prop up a mummified MT in the bar stool next to you and you could share a drink with America's Philosopher in 2015. I'd do it in an instant.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It is ridiculous. I hate to say it, but Providence is light years ahead of Hartford. Not even close.

Yup, outside of the drivers (who are terrors), the city has been become a really cool place to be. All the artist musician types who have been priced out of Boston have moved there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Funny you say that, but I always thought a 'Booze With Twain' exhibit at the MT House would have killed it.

EDIT: If they really went for it, they could even prop up a mummified MT in the bar stool next to you and you could share a drink with America's Philosopher in 2015. I'd do it in an instant.

Reaction Score
Great article about Hartford written last year around this time.
http://www.citylab.com/work/2014/12/go-to-hartford-young-man/383445/

Hard rock is a big nationally recognized name and hopefully it happens, but I'd rather see more affordable apartments in downtown vs a 1/2 used over priced hotel. This hotel would cut 150-300 new planned apts in the area. I mean the Raddison right next to ball park is turning empty hotel rooms into apts. Bring in a developer to create bottom floor retail like restaurants and bars and build the rest up with not super high end, but nice new studios and 1 bedrooms. Lots of kids/adults can't afford the 1200-1500 in just rent at some of the downtown apts. don't put up section 8, but build some 750-1200 a month places for college kids and adults still paying off student loans. We need more full time residents in downtown and not just visitors for a day or two.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Hard rock is a big nationally recognized name and hopefully it happens, but I'd rather see more affordable apartments in downtown vs a 1/2 used over priced hotel. This hotel would cut 150-300 new planned apts in the area. I mean the Raddison right next to ball park is turning empty hotel rooms into apts. Bring in a developer to create bottom floor retail like restaurants and bars and build the rest up with not super high end, but nice new studios and 1 bedrooms. Lots of kids/adults can't afford the 1200-1500 in just rent at some of the downtown apts. don't put up section 8, but build some 750-1200 a month places for college kids and adults still paying off student loans. We need more full time residents in downtown and not just visitors for a day or two.
And the shuttered Goodwin, which I have stayed in and liked, is also slated to reopen. With Hartford hotels still at less than 60% occupancy, the reopening of the 96-room Holiday Inn Express and the development of an 81-room Candlewood Suites, also near the new ball park, one has to wonder about the demand for even more hotel rooms, especially pricier ones.

http://www.courant.com/breaking-news/hc-hartford-goodwin-hotel-future-20150831-story.html

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Itd be great but there is unfortunately just such a stigma attached that it will take something insane to happen where young professionals view Hartford as a viable place to live. Sure they'll go to City Steam and Black Bear but then they'll hustle back to their cars and go home to WeHa and Manchester. But you're spot on with pricing in apts in Hartford. I just moved to a 1Br in Glastonbury after hoping to find a place downtown. If you are going to rent in Hartford you are either paying 1500 for a studio/ 2k for a 1br downtown or you're in Section 8. Some nice places with comparable prices to Manchester/Newington/Rocky Hill would help to draw the 25yr old $55-65k a year crowd back in and do wonders for the city's image.

Reaction Score
Agree with this completely. The issue in CT is that everyone is separated into their 169 fiefdoms. The city of Hartford has to have the smallest area of any large (>1,000,000 person) metro area. If Hartford were in any other state, the city would include West Hartford, East Hartford, Windsor, Wethersfield, and so on. This means that many people in the suburbs view Hartford as separate from their own communities in that the city's problems aren't their problems. But the fact remains, for the success of the city plays a huge role in the strength of the metro area and the state.

Exactly. Hartford is 18 square miles. It's tiny in comparison to some cities close to Hartford in MSA population rankings. Louisville is 399 square miles. Indianapolis is 372 square miles. If Hartford were that size and including most of the surrounding suburbs, it would also have a population of 500-700 thousand or so.

Reaction Score
Itd be great but there is unfortunately just such a stigma attached that it will take something insane to happen where young professionals view Hartford as a viable place to live. Sure they'll go to City Steam and Black Bear but then they'll hustle back to their cars and go home to WeHa and Manchester. But you're spot on with pricing in apts in Hartford. I just moved to a 1Br in Glastonbury after hoping to find a place downtown. If you are going to rent in Hartford you are either paying 1500 for a studio/ 2k for a 1br downtown or you're in Section 8. Some nice places with comparable prices to Manchester/Newington/Rocky Hill would help to draw the 25yr old $55-65k a year crowd back in and do wonders for the city's image.

$2000 for a one bedroom downtown is theft compared to Boston, New York or even Stamford. The issue is a healthy dose of jobs and high property taxes.

Reaction Score
$2,000 for a one bedroom in Hartford seems a bit ridiculous, I've always thought the prices in Boston were pretty outrageous for the level of city you are getting but if the going rate for a 1 bedroom is $2,000 in Hartford that seems like a bit of thievery. We all know Hartford isn't a good city anymore, no milkman making deliveries, no Studebakers driving down the boulevard etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom