OT: Gordon Hayward | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Gordon Hayward

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Terrible injury. Hope he's able to return this season (not a celtic fan).

Is the tweet everyone is losing their mind over, is Bayless saying the east is going to be that much clearer for Lebron?

How is that a scumbag thing to say?

He broke his ankle/leg, it's a freak sports injury that directly effects the conference. Is it not?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Terrible injury. Hope he's able to return this season (not a celtic fan).

Is the tweet everyone is losing their mind over, is Bayless saying the east is going to be that much clearer for Lebron?

How is that a scumbag thing to say?

He broke his ankle/leg, it's a freak sports injury that directly effects the conference. Is it not?

It came off as fairly insensitive in the moment, especially when compared to the rest of Basketball Twitter's reaction.

My guess is also that it's easy for people (guilty here) to read these kind of tweets with the same tone Bayless uses when he's at his most cringe-worthy on air.

Reaction Score
What about that tweet makes him "scum?"

Expectations for displays of empathy, as in "the decent thing to do", lead to statements empathic with the injured individual. In this horrific injury instance, that's Hayward. Most of us, being decent in our hearts, are taken aback when someone instead responds with a comment dissing someone's chances at winning an NBA crown. When taken aback by an astounding show of "lack of empathy", it is common to call the person showing what most of us will indeed judge as "not the decent thing to do or say" bad names. Such as scum, for instance. The fact that this actually has to be spelled out is also a tad astounding.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I dislocated my knee in a baseball game in high school. I’m glad I haven’t seen the video of tonight.

HFL - the reason why the tweet was total scumbag is because he used the injury to take a shot at LBJ. It’s not like anyone didn’t realize it helped Cleveland’s chances to win the conference.

Now if everyone would just ignore the guy he would go away but for some reason people can’t.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Well, that’s one way to begin your Celtics career...sorry, gallows humor.

TV says “ankle fracture”; I thought distal tibia fracture when I saw it, which would be more soft tissue damage than an ankle fracture. Prognosis will really depend on the X-rays and how much surgery is required. Figure the minimum for return is 4 months, possibly season ending.

Well you are a Doctor.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
So he's "scum" because his priority as a prominent sports tv show host is to make sure everyone knows how he thinks this effects the eastern conference? How is his tweet hurting Hayward, or anyone, in any way?

Was there a single NBA fan on earth that wasn't sure if this would make it easier for the Cavs to make the Finals? Like one? Could one person maybe have thought, gosh, this will make it really hard for LeBron to make it back to the Finals.

I think, frankly, he knew just how freaking stupid his tweet was, and he sent it out in order to get people talking about how dumb it was (and how he always digs at LeBron), because in his mind no news is bad news.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Bayless gets paid to be a bag.

He is insensitive because that is what the network wants from him

My prayers are with Gordon Hayward for a full and complete recovery.

Reaction Score
The obstinate guy in this thread pretending to not understand why the big 's tweet was pathetic and inappropriate reminds me of when some clown says something insulting, and then, when called out on it, responds with, "well it's true, isn't it?" as if the truth of the comment is the only factor considered when determining its appropriateness.

Makes me miss the days when the proper method of teaching a grown man manners was to smash him in his smug face.

Reaction Score
Well, that’s one way to begin your Celtics career...sorry, gallows humor.

TV says “ankle fracture”; I thought distal tibia fracture when I saw it, which would be more soft tissue damage than an ankle fracture. Prognosis will really depend on the X-rays and how much surgery is required. Figure the minimum for return is 4 months, possibly season ending.

Stevens said tibia during presseers. Spot on as usual, doc!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
25 years ago, that would have been a career ending injury. He might have come back to play, but he never would have been close to the same. Today, he has a decent shot of a full recovery.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
25 years ago, that would have been a career ending injury. He might have come back to play, but he never would have been close to the same. Today, he has a decent shot of a full recovery.
Spot on.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It came off as fairly insensitive in the moment, especially when compared to the rest of Basketball Twitter's reaction.

My guess is also that it's easy for people (guilty here) to read these kind of tweets with the same tone Bayless uses when he's at his most cringe-worthy on air.

Fair. Bayless and that whole sect of shock jock sports commentators has never been my thing, so not getting the tone others took it to be in may be something I wasnt aware of.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Remember the Villanova guy who had his whole eyeball come out of socket vs GTown? It was gross and weird.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
What about that tweet makes him "scum?"
That it came from Skip "I am Scum and Stupid" Bayless.
There is a reason TV executives put Bayless opposite Stephen A and now Sharpe, it's a slow motion disaster watching two of the most stupid mouth breathers given a spotlight.
Kudos to him though, he makes stupid pay much better than intelligence. I assume it comes easy to him because I do and say some stupid things but it's hard, if not impossible, to be as stupid Bayless.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Incredibly tired of injuries the last couple years. Last year with our men's team, OBJ (not a fan but still gotta throw some prayers up) and now this. Sickening. Wish we could just turn off injuries like in 2k or Madden

JJ Watt, Rodgers, Edelman...etc There's been a lot of big ones this year. Or it might just seem like it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well you are a Doctor.

Better than the armchair crew that usually chimes in. Besides, DH often provides good med analysis. And he got the body part right before TV did.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Here are a couple other ones. Willis McGahee, Jason Kendal and I remember a Tampa Bay Rays pitcher snap his arm on the mound. Barf.

Willis McGahee was tough for me to stomach at the time. Pre internet, these things shocked you more (even tho they are shocking now)...

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Willis McGahee was tough for me to stomach at the time. Pre internet, these things shocked you more (even tho they are shocking now)...

Dave Dravecky's arm snapped during a pitch. He'd come back from cancer IIRC.

Napoleon McCallum's cleat got stuck in the artificial turf and his leg bent over the wrong way. Never played again.

He'd suffered a dislocated knee. Three ligaments had been torn, ripping his calf and hamstring muscles from the bone, and he'd suffered nerve and artery damage as well.

If surgery didn't go well, a terrified McCallum was told, his left leg probably would have to be amputated.

Makes Hayward's injury sound like a twisted ankle -- at least based on the initial reports. Fingers crossed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom