OT: Geno | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What never gets discussed is that Clark’s teammates collectively shoot 5% better than her. Five of Clark’s teammates had a better 3fg% than her during the regular season, seven teammates had a better overall percentage. Clark would be as ineffective without her teammates being so much more efficient as they are without her. Safe to say that type of volume shooting would not cut it in either a Hurley or Auriemma offense.

In contrast, Bueckers teammates collectively shoot 5% worse, with only Edwards, a post, shooting better.
Probably doesn't get discussed because those players are taking much easier shots than Clark due to her gravity and the amount of attention she receives. Clark is taking 25 ft stepbacks, I would hope the other players getting layups and wide open 3s are shooting better percentages than her.

Reaction Score
I don’t watch a ton of the women but the dude can still coach. 5 or 6 season ending injuries and he just beat USC to get back to the Final Four. I believe that’s trip #23.

Incidentally, watch ten minutes of a women’s game and you’ll never complain about officiating in the men’s game again.
He’s a brilliant coach. That might have been one of his all time coached games.

The women’s game officiating makes one appreciate James Breeding…..

Reaction Score
They match up very well against Iowa.

They don’t match up at all with the other 2 teams (nc state and South Carolina.)

Clark is great, but you may see the betting odds move to even by game time. And Bueckers might be the better all around player.

It’s a fun and interesting matchup.

Reaction Score
Probably doesn't get discussed because those players are taking much easier shots than Clark due to her gravity and the amount of attention she receives. Clark is taking 25 ft stepbacks, I would hope the other players getting layups and wide open 3s are shooting better percentages than her.
Yeah, I would say this actually speaks well to Clark (or maybe poorly to opposing gameplans).

She's a good volume shooter but also an excellent passer (Bueckers is too, but is more selective on her shots and less flashy in the ones she does take -- more fundamentally-sound pull-up jump shots in the lane and less step-back 30-footers).

Reaction Score
Happy for Geno and the women to have made it this far given the ridiculous amount of adversity due to multiple injuries to star players this season.

Unfortunately, they are going to get smoked next game. Watching Iowa St vs LSU was like watching say, X vs Nova, while watching UConn vs USC was DePaul vs G'town in comparison.

Hope they can prove me wrong, but Caitlin is basically the MJ of women's hoops right now.
Clark is a scorer, no doubt. She likes to launch them deep and can hit them consistently.

I think UConn has a better chance against Iowa than USCe.

Reaction Score
What are the injuries? Is it mostly dumb luck or are they overuse injuries? That’s a ton of hurt people.

Go uconn!
Mostly knee injuries, which happen all the time with female athletes. I remember reading 10-15% of D1 women's basketball players suffer an ACL injury.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Based on some of the layup attempts I saw last night, I wouldn't say that's a given lol.

Reaction Score
Mostly knee injuries, which happen all the time with female athletes. I remember reading 10-15% of D1 women's basketball players suffer an ACL injury.
Like I said in another thread, I think it's a combination of:
  • women athletes inherently susceptible to these sort of injuries
  • bad luck
  • recruiting players who are even more injury prone than average
  • recruiting no-nonsense players who play basketball year round (either over-use or higher injury risk just by virtue of playing more)
  • possibly practice habits (we famously "practice til we can't get it wrong," which is a very rigid approach I've been critical of, even for non-injury reasons)

Like, Jana El Alfy got hurt in a summer international game. Bueckers ACL injury last year was a summer pickup game or practice. Azzi Fudd ACL injury was in practice, and not her first. Patterson's is a chronic injury known since high school. Aubrey Griffin's ACL was in a game, and not her first. Ducharme has had concussion issues for 3 years.

Reaction Score
Clark will be getting the world's most favorable whistle this year. Arnold won't guard her.
right? They will not call anything on her..... and when they did they were amazed and looked around at each other like wtf.

Reaction Score
What Gino has done with this year’s team is nothing short of impressive. 7 rotation players including 3 or 4 freshmen, 3 players playing a full 40 over and over again….and still having enough in the tank to get to a final 4. There’s a grit and determination that is unique to Storrs.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Absolutely true, well, except that Clark also shoots plenty of layups that also get her to the foul line when she misses (and thus does not count against her overall %). But 38% from three is still only 50th best of the shooters in wcbb this year, perhaps there should be a few less 25’ stepbacks?

And should not Bueckers also benefit her teammates by drawing the focus of the defense? Why are they shooting much worse percentages than Bueckers? Two reasons. Iowa players are naturally good shooters even though they have deficiencies in other areas, and they have been able to play together for longer than usual under a good coach. Last year all five starters played three full years together, that accounts for a well run offense that gets people open even apart from one player taking 25’ stepbacks.

In contrast, for the past few years UConn starters have changed multiple times even within the same year. In fact, the current starters have been starting together the longest in the past four years, though two of them are freshmen. This relative continuity is a significant reason for why they made the Final Four.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
  • bad luck
  • recruiting no-nonsense players who play basketball year round (either over-use or higher injury risk just by virtue of playing more)
  • possibly practice habits (we famously "practice til we can't get it wrong," which is a very rigid approach I've been critical of, even for non-injury reasons)

Like, Jana El Alfy got hurt in a summer international game. Bueckers ACL injury last year was a summer pickup game or practice. Azzi Fudd ACL injury was in practice, and not her first. Patterson's is a chronic injury known since high school. Aubrey Griffin's ACL was in a game, and not her first. Ducharme has had concussion issues for 3 years.
There really aren't high-level players that aren't playing year-round. That's not at all a UConn thing. Also, practice time is limited by the NCAA here the same as anywhere else.

Reaction Score
this is all right, but I'm not sure you can play that intensity for 40 minutes. It'll be a game, but going 40 that hard is going to catch up eventually.
They did it last night against a 1 seed.

Reaction Score
Based on some of the layup attempts I saw last night, I wouldn't say that's a given lol.
I do wonder about analytics applied to women's basketball. In the men's game shots in the arc are made at a far higher percentage than in the women's game. The midrange (that Geno likes to exploit) can offer higher percentage opportunities when it is the correct player taking the shot.

Reaction Score
I do wonder about analytics applied to women's basketball. In the men's game shots in the arc are made at a far higher percentage than in the women's game. The midrange (that Geno likes to exploit) can offer higher percentage opportunities when it is the correct player taking the shot.
I don't watch much women's college basketball but when I do I usually come away impressed with the three point shooting and shocked at how bad they are at layups.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My fear that the strain of supporting this team all year would take it's toll on a young played coming off a serious injury was misplaced, thankfully. That this team made the Final Four is all about her, not the coach or the other players.

Reaction Score
Iowa is give the ball to Clark and get out of her way. She took 30 shots yesterday.

Jim

Reaction Score
That this team made the Final Four is all about her, not the coach or the other players.
Yes and no. For certain this team would not have made the Final Four without Paige, but everyone else on the team did what they had to do in order to get the win. Edwards put up 24pts, Muhl had 8 assists, and the four freshmen played their roles and did just enough to get the W. If any of Paige's supporting cast did not step up, her efforts would have been in vain.

Reaction Score
The women's team's shot selection is horrible if you go by analytics generally -- Bueckers or Shade taking pull-up 15 footers, Edwards from the top of the key, etc.

But if Bueckers hits that shot at 60%, that's almost as good as a layup by other women players and better than most people shooting 3s.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes and no. For certain this team would not have made the Final Four without Paige, but everyone else on the team did what they had to do in order to get the win.
Barely. Why does Paige have to be the one to get double digit rebounds? I will say it was great to see Ice Brady step up.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
  • bad luck

Here's an interesting statistic for you. For a female athlete who tears an ACL there is a 10-30% chance (depending on the study quoted) of either a re-tear the reconstructed ACL ... or a tear the other ACL.

Why female athletes injure their ACLs more frequently.

Although the overall rate of ACL injury is higher in males [...] the relative risk of ACL injury in women is 3 to 8 times greater than males. In the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), the rate of ACL injuries incurred by collegiate females is three times higher compared to men. In high school aged athletes (13-18 years), there is approximately 1.6-fold greater rate of ACL tears in females, and a multisport female athlete is estimated to have a nearly 10% risk of incurring an ACL injury during her high school or secondary school career.

Return to sport in female athletes

Bottom line: it's between 60% and 80% only, depending on the study (69% in this meta-analysis). And the time to return to sport is about 11 months on average.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You do realize that with the make up of the current team she is playing the power forward spot? Yes, the skinny 6'0" kid is playing the 4.
Exactly, carrying the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22