OT - Gas Grill Recommendations | The Boneyard

OT - Gas Grill Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
My wife has given me the green light to replace our 8 year old $99 gas grill with an upgraded version.

So I thought I'd ask everyone here for some recommendations and brands to look for. Just to set some of the limits I'm working with: my price max is likely $500 or so and we have a family of 4 and use the grill a lot in all seasons, if possible. I know I'm not gonna get top of the line and I'm ok with that. I'm really trying to find a decent grill that's a good size and good value. Not wanting to be cheap but we have a strapped budget and the grill is gonna be a joint gift from our families so we know we have to work within a price range.

Any suggestions would be great. I've been reading some reviews but I'd love to hear from your experiences.

Thanks!!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I have a 12 year old Weber Genesis that works like new. Indestructible and almost all parts available forever (burners, flavor bars, etc.). Get a 3 burner so it is big enough to cook for a crowd when necessary. Don't bother with the side burner, most people never use them.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Also, the colored ceramic on steel grill tops are easier to clean than stainless steel ones.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Weber Genesis series all the way. Mine has been fantastic for ten years. Key thing with Webers is that every part is replaceable. New Starter? $10 at home depot. The burners, the ceramic grills, the drip covers, everything can be purchased easily. So the grill lasts longer.

Reaction Score
I like all the Weber products including the smaller, cheaper options from Home Depot. They are far superior to a CharBroil type product.

The $399 Weber E210 is a great and adequate grill for a family of four. I bought one a couple of years ago to replace our huge, fancy grill that finally failed after many years. Our intent was to use the E210 for a little while until we designed and built an outdoor kitchen. In the process of designing the outdoor kitchen, my wife determined she also needed the indoor kitchen renovated. I agreed to do the inside if we could skip the outdoor one. So, I've been happily using the little grill for two years and I love it. Even when entertaining a large group, I've had enough room to get the job done and it seems to cook flawlessly and evenly every time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just impulse bought this grill for $125 to replace an old Charbroil.

k2-_cc142b49-1551-4af8-89e8-b475e76d4859.v1.jpg

At that price point, I fully expect that it won't last but I have been pleasantly surprised so far. Easy assembly, pops right up to 600 degrees (I put it on full to "heat clean" the pieces) good cooking area with pretty heavy cast iron grills. I'm confident that there are better ones out their but, so far, this seems to do what I need it to do.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Charcoal. Don't take the easy way out.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My wife has given me the green light to replace our 8 year old $99 gas grill with an upgraded version.

So I thought I'd ask everyone here for some recommendations and brands to look for. Just to set some of the limits I'm working with: my price max is likely $500 or so and we have a family of 4 and use the grill a lot in all seasons, if possible. I know I'm not gonna get top of the line and I'm ok with that. I'm really trying to find a decent grill that's a good size and good value. Not wanting to be cheap but we have a strapped budget and the grill is gonna be a joint gift from our families so we know we have to work within a price range.

Any suggestions would be great. I've been reading some reviews but I'd love to hear from your experiences.

Thanks!!
I bought a Char-Broil about 7 years ago for about $250. The fire box has literally disintegrated. I am considering getting the 3 burner Weber. I saw it at Home Depot for about $450 or $499. So that is my starting point.

Reaction Score
Weber genesis..I love mine..has the 4th sear burner..bought the wood chip smoker bin for along the side...great smoked chicken etc. VERY WELL made..probably my last grill!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Weber genesis..I love mine..has the 4th sear burner..bought the wood chip smoker bin for along the side...great smoked chicken etc. VERY WELL made..probably my last grill!
How do you winterize it?

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I bought a Charbroil Infrared Grill 2 years ago. Zero issues with it and with the indirect flame......nothing dries out. Have done everything from a 10lb ham, roast and seafood. Friggin Awesome grill. Now that I type this...it will have launched itself off my deck and I will find it in pieces on my lawn when I get home.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Oh...and I also have a smaller version that I use for tailgating.

Reaction Score
I have a 12 year old Weber Genesis that works like new. Indestructible and almost all parts available forever (burners, flavor bars, etc.). Get a 3 burner so it is big enough to cook for a crowd when necessary. Don't bother with the side burner, most people never use them.

Exactly. I got one from my dad years ago. I used it for years. Then I got a new house and bought a new one - in 2001. The new one is still cranking, and I found out the one I gave to a family member is still working also. Has to be 20-25 years old now.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
How do you winterize it?
I use it until the snow got too deep to reach it. I used to cover it until that disintegrated, haven't covered it in a couple of years. Some people think the covers actually trap moisture inside which can lead to internal rusting. The cover was more for the nesting grackles that poop all over my patio.

Reaction Score
Invest in the Weber... I have a 16 year old Genesis. You can't kill it. I just upgraded to summit and gave the Genisis to my Father in law.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ditto on the Weber Genesis. Same great experience as the others here. I bought the original 3-burner Genesis in the late 90s and used it heavily for more than 15 years, replaced all the internal parts myself at least once, some of them twice. I finally replaced it with another Genesis last year after the bottom rusted out. The have now upped the Genesis series with a few more extras, including the side burner that I didn't want but is now mandatory. I believe it cost almost double what I paid for my first one, and they now have a lower-end that looks more like the original Genesis, but I needed the larger grill surface because we often have large gatherings that require it.

Reaction Score
MHP grill. Not carried by many big box stores so it may be a little hard to find and a little more expensive than most. We have one attached to our gas line and after 20 years have yet to replace any parts. We use it year round and never a problem. Also I think it is the only grill that is US made.

Reaction Score
I have two Webers. The Weber Silver I got when I bought my house 15 years ago. Only have had to replace the innards once. Still cranks like a champ. I got my Weber Q about 10 years ago and is my tailgate grill. It may be an inanimate object, but I think I am in love with it.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the feedback. I passed along it all with the wife and after she looked at the prices for the Genesis she said hell no. So unfortunately that's out. However, she did say that she thinks a Weber is the way to go and the E-210 or E-310 may be the route we go. Just a quick follow up question. What's the real difference between a 2 burner vs a 3 burner? Is it just more space on the grill? I'm gonna head to Home Depot this week hopefully to check them out.

Thanks again all! Wasn't sure I'd be able to sell the wife to a Weber before I started the thread but it seems she's coming around! :D

Reaction Score
UCFBfan said:
Thanks for all the feedback. I passed along it all with the wife and after she looked at the prices for the Genesis she said hell no. So unfortunately that's out. However, she did say that she thinks a Weber is the way to go and the E-210 or E-310 may be the route we go. Just a quick follow up question. What's the real difference between a 2 burner vs a 3 burner? Is it just more space on the grill? I'm gonna head to Home Depot this week hopefully to check them out. Thanks again all! Wasn't sure I'd be able to sell the wife to a Weber before I started the thread but it seems she's coming around! :D

I think the difference is more grill space and a third burner for more even cooking. More burners mean all your cooking surface is closer to a burner. I got the E210 because it was supposed to be a temporary solution then be moved to our second home. If I were you I'd go for the 310 unless you are really price sensitive. If so, 210 is great too.

Reaction Score
I bought a Weber Genesis EP-330 3 years ago at a True Value hardware store after seeing my neighbor cook on his Weber summer after summer (it was 15 yrs old at the time...still going strong). I decided to buy at True Value after reading recommendations here: http://tvwbb.com

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have to second the recommendations for the Webers.

They may seem slightly more expensive, but you're going to buy three or four CharBroils in the same time that you'll own one Weber.

We bought one 11 years ago when we bought our house and it's in perfect shape. Every five years or so, you replace some of the working bits and then it's perfect.

I'm actually annoyed by it - I want to buy a bigger one with side burners, but cannot justify replacing something that works.

Reaction Score
I also own a Weber Genesis. Check PC Richard as I got a killer deal on mine. I mean, I paid like 350 bucks for it after haggling with them on price for about an hour. This was about 3 years ago however.

To be honest, I haggle with PC Richard on everything that I buy there. Their flexibility is most likely the reason why I keep coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom