OT- G League Pursuing Jalen Green, Terrence Clarke, Others | The Boneyard

OT- G League Pursuing Jalen Green, Terrence Clarke, Others

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Interesting, apparently these deals are worth upwards of $125k:

Reaction Score

I have not seen that name in a long time. Had a strong dislike for him when he played against UConn. He also has a plethora of experience in college and the G-league so it is interesting to hear his perspective. At the same time, hard to say no to a solid (or even very good) paycheck.

Reaction Score
I'm all for this. What makes college basketball great is rarely top freshman talent. I posted the stats on another thread, but it's rare that an elite college team has a freshman starter who was an elite top-20ish recruit.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

I mean look at that roster!! Obviously it should help them learn how to be pros and go about their business but from a pure draft stock perspective...

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’ll work for the 5 stars who aren’t truly dominant against their peers. Guys like Isaiah Todd have a ton of potential, but his AAU numbers (Linked below) don’t scream “I’m ready to play pro”. Could he make a big jump? It’s possible, but he’s far from a sure thing of being productive in the G League.

You can argue the same for Clarke too. My point is that there are still more 5 stars that don’t light the world on fire in year 1 than those that do. The G-League is no joke. Almost all of these guys were stars in college, and were better than the majority of 5 star freshman in their final year of college ball.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score

I mean look at that roster!! Obviously it should help them learn how to be pros and go about their business but from a pure draft stock perspective...

I saw Greensboro play at Erie this year when I went up to watch Jalen and was definitely struck by all the recognizable names from both teams (neither squad was very good). EC Matthews played for Erie, so I was looking forward to getting a chance to see him but he barely left the bench which says a lot about the talent level in the G, even on a bad team.

I’m all for guys getting paid as soon as possible, but they’re not lying about the talent level in the G League. How is a HS kid thinking they’re on a one year vacation before jumping to the NBA going to mix with the majority of the guys there who are grinding it out for comparatively little pay? In theory they should excel, but it’s still a big gamble

Reaction Score

This makes sense, they could lose a lot of money in the long run. In college they would be hyped up and play well against guys close in strength and age. The G guys are stronger more experienced and hungry and may make them look bad. I’m going to college.

Reaction Score
This makes sense, they could lose a lot of money in the long run. In college they would be hyped up and play well against guys close in strength and age. The G guys are stronger more experienced and hungry and may make them look bad. I’m going to college.

By and large, these guys are also dramatically more talented than the players in the G-League, and that matters more than being hungry. There have been plenty of high school players who went to the NBA and were impact guys immediately. There's no way you're going to convince anyone serious that those players aren't good enough for the G-League these days.

Reaction Score
Memphis board seems to think Jalen Green accepted.
10 crystal balls for the G league since yesterday
What a 360 for Memphis. Last year they couldn’t miss, now they are striking out on all their top targets.
theyve only signed one 3* but needed to fill three spots.

cisse should be a done deal for 2021 (since penny already paid for him to move to memphis) but hopefully thats it.

Reaction Score
The G League is a bunch of grown men fighting for a paycheck. Hardly the place for 18 year olds to develop. I favor allowing kids to go to the NBA directly out of high school or making them stay 2 years in college.

Reaction Score
The G League is a bunch of grown men fighting for a paycheck. Hardly the place for 18 year olds to develop. I favor allowing kids to go to the NBA directly out of high school or making them stay 2 years in college.

isnt the nba a bunch of even better grown men fighting for a paycheck? no player wants to get demoted to the g league. my celtics have had a lot of them over the past few years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The common sense position as I see it is that you let kids go pro whenever they want; I always thought the one-and-done rule was ridiculous. Allow individuals the freedom to make business decisions for themselves! I thought the one-and-done rule was on borrowed time already, I seem to recall talk of it being done away with in the not so distant future, is that no longer the case?

Reaction Score
Down goes Kentucky and Calipari's model.

Maybe, maybe not.

The one year Calipari won the NC was 2012 when he had two sophomores and a senior who scored half the team's points and were a stabilizing force. I've always felt Calipari might benefit from kids staying more than one year and providing continuity and cohesiveness lacking in his typical "all star team" lineups.

Of course, his big challenge will be convincing kids he can still be their best option for preparing for the NBA. If the top 5 or 10 go the G-League route he may not have any meaningful advantage though and then we'll really find out how good (or not) a coach he is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom