OT: Former UConn Soccer Player Sues School For Unfair Treatment | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Former UConn Soccer Player Sues School For Unfair Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You could ask the same question of the YOUNG WOMANS gesture--and to a camera and thousands of people/fans.
A GROWN Woman should know better and think better. In life, as is being taught here, there are acts---and there are
consequences--you make the choice.
STOP! She's a college student, who in the heat of a competitive moment, lost any sound logic. She should not lose her scholarship. There is clearly a back story we do not know and the coach (and school) have chosen this finger issue as the primary reason while, coincidentally offering an unavailable scholarship to a ND transfer (which btw, is really insulting to us BYers!). I think both the coach and the school over-reached here.

Reaction Score
STOP! She's a college student, who in the heat of a competitive moment, lost any sound logic. She should not lose her scholarship. There is clearly a back story we do not know and the coach (and school) have chosen this finger issue as the primary reason while, coincidentally offering an unavailable scholarship to a ND transfer (which btw, is really insulting to us BYers!). I think both the coach and the school over-reached here.
In life an there are actions and Consequences---she chose the action--the school chose the consequences--of which i approve.
I'm not insulted and if you go back and read --few are!!
A long time By member --I can see with your seniority why you speak for all --Nov 10 2016.

Reaction Score

Noblesse oblige!!!

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year~

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I thought the gesture was determined to be protected speech back in the 60's or 70's... a quick search turned up that it is "Almost always considered protected speech." I wonder if any one at UConn (a state institution) checked with the law school before pulling her scholarship.
'Free Speech' is often mistaken to be a blanket license that applies to all aspects of one's life - it doesn't. It is a protection from interference from the government, and has nothing to do with employment or other forms of 'private' interactions. The obvious situation is should you choose to curse out your boss, chances are you will be fired on the spot - your speech is not protected in any way relative to your employment. Same would go for such behavior in a classroom.

Reaction Score
'Free Speech' is often mistaken to be a blanket license that applies to all aspects of one's life - it doesn't. It is a protection from interference from the government, and has nothing to do with employment or other forms of 'private' interactions. The obvious situation is should you choose to curse out your boss, chances are you will be fired on the spot - your speech is not protected in any way relative to your employment. Same would go for such behavior in a classroom.
UConn is a state school, so it's much more complicated than that.

I like that UConn on the whole punishes its athletes more harshly than most schools, but this does seem to be an overreaction (unless there's more to it). There are certain stupid actions that warrant a second chance, and common sense would dictate that this is one of them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember seeing that finger real time and it made me cringe. Didn't think it was kicked-off- the-team worthy, though. And I think it sets a bad precedent.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UConn is a state school, so it's much more complicated than that.

I like that UConn on the whole punishes its athletes more harshly than most schools, but this does seem to be an overreaction (unless there's more to it). There are certain stupid actions that warrant a second chance, and common sense would dictate that this is one of them.
It is owned by the state but the discipline it imposes does not rise to that of a 'government' and governments are allowed to impose certain levels of behavior and discourse within their structures - Free Speech has never guaranteed employment or participation in specific events or organizations - it guarantees only freedom from prosecution.

Reaction Score
It is owned by the state but the discipline it imposes does not rise to that of a 'government' and governments are allowed to impose certain levels of behavior and discourse within their structures - Free Speech has never guaranteed employment or participation in specific events or organizations - it guarantees only freedom from prosecution.
Technically that's correct, but again, it's more complicated than that. Public schools don't want to be perceived as anti-freedom of speech, which means a gray area exists that businesses or organizations don't have to worry about.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Technically that's correct, but again, it's more complicated than that. Public schools don't want to be perceived as anti-freedom of speech, which means a gray area exists that businesses or organizations don't have to worry about.
Having a little trouble seeing the post game celebratory middle finger as being a 1st Amendment issue...

Reaction Score
I remember seeing that finger real time and it made me cringe. Didn't think it was kicked-off- the-team worthy, though. And I think it sets a bad precedent.
I don't think it was ..... I think, in soccer vernacular, it got her yellow card which upon further review quickly changed to a red card .........

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
So I wonder how many games this guy will be suspended for?

Link
Heck, the article defends him. An apology - maybe?

Like someone above said, I would hope the loss of scholarship was for more than the finger (and also not to give it to the transfer). To me, pulling a scholarship for a crude gesture that is arguably entirely too common is a severe over-reaction. Pulling a scholarship to give it to a better player, while not necessarily rare I fear, is a negative to a coach from my point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom