OT: Former CT HS Star passed away.......... | The Boneyard

OT: Former CT HS Star passed away..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/th...px?n=robert-v-biestek&pid=156226076&fhid=8165

Just for those CT historians who may have watched and followed some HS football in the late 70's. Robert Biestek of Maloney Meriden ('79) passed away suddenly at his home in Bristol. Robert was a great friend of mine and his recruiting story has UConn ties which I can speak to.

Coming out of HS where he was an All State QB, behind Steve Young and Sandy Osieki and also as a linebacker, Robert was a tremendous athlete. PLayed all 3 sports and excelled in all 3 but football was his love. He had visits at school from many of the high named coaches including Paterno. His 5 visits were Penn St, California, Syracuse, Pitt and BC.......he had been to UConn many times as his dad attended and played there. Dad wanted him to go there and I believe in my heart he would have, if the coaches told him he would play QB...they didn't hence his decision was to play at BC, who said they would give him a shot but believed he was better suited for TE or LB, maybe even tailback. Cal said he could play QB but he was a local kid and that was too far although he loved it there......1st play of his frosh year on the kicking team against Texas A & M he blew his knee out....changed his speed and thus his game so he then worked towards being a FB and found his way into the starting lineup by his Jr year and captain of the Eagles his Sr year, Fluties Jr year......by then good friend Jay Murphy of Maloney was playing hoop for the Eagles also...by the way UConn did not recxruit him or he certainly would've played for the Huskies!!

Just an FYI as there are many CT guys here....sad day today in Central CT for many of us....RIP Robert.....

Reaction Score
That's terrible. Way too young. Is there any relation to the Biestek kid who plays for Fordham now?

Reaction Score
That's terrible. Way too young. Is there any relation to the Biestek kid who plays for Fordham now?
I was able to get to know Bob pretty well over the last 10 years. He was great friends with with brother( who also passed away at the way to young age of 48, two years ago.) Bob was a GREAT person. He had a heart of gold. Last time I saw him was after the signing day event at The Rent. We talked for the whole first half of the UConn hoop game. He always would end our conversation with the words I love you. Unfortunately as I write this my wife and I are getting ready to go to his wake.
To answer your question about the Beistik at Fordham, yes that is his nephew. The date UConn played Fordham, Bob set up a bid tailgate involving his family and a bunch of us that tailgate from Bristol. He had a big sign made up with the words Biestik's Brigade. He was very proud if his nephew. The ironic part was that the same day BC was going to honor Bob at halftime or there home game. He told them to postpone it till this year because he wanted to be there for his nephew. In closing RIP Bob. I love you.

Reaction Score
Sounds like you guys lost a great friend. I'm sorry for the loss to you guys.

Reaction Score
IMO he was the best athlete to ever come out of Meriden. He played 3 sports(football, basketball and baseball) and excelled at all 3.

Reaction Score
I had the opportunity to sit next to him at a few UCONN games. Great guy. Liked to to talk about the Flutie days and the "catch" by Phelan. Seemed to stay in touch with the 86 team.

Reaction Score
Being a proud Maloney grad and football alumni, my heart goes out to his family during this time. I saw his name on a variety of awards/photos when I was there and he truly made an impact on our tradition. Some of the coaches I had were older and talked about him. RIP Bob, thank you for the example you set for a fellow Spartan.

Reaction Score
My wife and I attended Bob's wake this afternoon. What an incredible testament to what a great person he was and how he touched so many lives. We arrived at 12:45, the wake started at 1:00. There was already 50 people in front of us. When we left( around 1:45) the line snaked through the whole funeral home to the outside sidewalk. I received a call from a friend at 4:45 ( the wake was supposed to end at 5). The line was still through the whole funeral home to the outside sidewalk. Bob was loved by many.

Being a Bristol person, I saw Bob play against Bristol Central once. Everyone in Bristol knew about the great Meriden athlete named Bob Biestek. The only way I can describe him is that he was Tim Tebow before there was a Tim Tebow. What a great athlete.

U

UConn9604

The date UConn played Fordham, Bob set up a bid tailgate involving his family and a bunch of us that tailgate from Bristol. He had a big sign made up with the words Biestik's Brigade. He was very proud if his nephew. The ironic part was that the same day BC was going to honor Bob at halftime or there home game. He told them to postpone it till this year because he wanted to be there for his nephew. In closing RIP Bob. I love you.

I don't know the Biesteks personally but my tailgate was right next to their Brigade at the Fordham game. Frankly, if you were in Blue lot that day, you couldn't have missed it. He had a giant yellow truck with "Biestek's Bail Bonds" on the side and a big maroon banner reading "Biestek Brigade."

Seemed like a really great family and they couldn't have been more proud of their nephew. My regrets to anyone who knew Bob personally.

Reaction Score
My wife and I attended Bob's wake this afternoon. What an incredible testament to what a great person he was and how he touched so many lives. We arrived at 12:45, the wake started at 1:00. There was already 50 people in front of us. When we left( around 1:45) the line snaked through the whole funeral home to the outside sidewalk. I received a call from a friend at 4:45 ( the wake was supposed to end at 5). The line was still through the whole funeral home to the outside sidewalk. Bob was loved by many.

Being a Bristol person, I saw Bob play against Bristol Central once. Everyone in Bristol knew about the great Meriden athlete named Bob Biestek. The only way I can describe him is that he was Tim Tebow before there was a Tim Tebow. What a great athlete.

ucjoet, you talk about Robert like you knew him as long as I did...I guess that's proof of the impact he can have on a person with his heart and fun loving life style huh? Great stuff, thanks for sharing the times you had with Robert and you hit the nail on the head in your description "heart of gold." I was lucky enough to know him since he was 8 or 9, cuno league and junior pro basketball at the Meriden Boys Club, Legion and Babe Ruth baseball and both sports right through HS. Slept over the Biestek residence and I promise there isn't a better family on earth than that huge clan, great people. His oldest brother Freddy was also my brothers best friend so we were always dragged by our parents to their games. No matter, football was his love. He had all the skills as you say, Tebow was a great comparison as he ran the ball better than he threw it but he could throw. He had great speed for a 6'3" 225 lb QB in HS and when he hit the corner the defensive backs were in huge trouble. You saw him play in HS vs BCentral (was Pearson there?) so you know what I'm saying, tremendous athlete as you say. Over 20pts a game in hoops his senior year, switchhitter in baseball, threw hard off the mound.........on to BC where he became a leader eventually because of the person he was. Loved Bicknell and Coughlin......went to so many games on Chestnut Hill and so many after parties, we became part of the crew they hung with. DeOssie was a roomate as was Niziolek of Hand/Madison, Flutie was around their campus apartment all the time, they were a close knit squad and the Beast was one of the main reasons.

No matter the sports, because I can go on and on and share some beauties, he lived his life to the fullest, and I mean fullest. He was the party most of the time and for good reason. He loved everyone and being around everyone. Always smiling, always hootin and hollerin......but his love for his friends and family were #1 in his life.....and the fact he had made amends with his ex and found a way back into his 3 beautiful daughters lives the last few years mademe very happy on a very sad day as I made my way through the family line reminiscing. I believe his fiance, Marianne, was a big reason for many of the positive events which had made Robert real happy again and for that I thank her, she also is a beautiful person and I'm glad they found each other.......sad day in Meriden, worth the wait in line and seeing old friends, old foes even from Platt and many faces of joy and sorrow. There will be more today when I go down to St Stans and we say good bye for good to The Beast....but he will never ever be forgotten I promise.......with love, your friend forever until we meet again "KC"...

Reaction Score
mauconnfan, I did not know Bob ( I never liked calling him The Beast, because it definitely did not fit his off the field personality) as long as you have. Being from Bristol and being just about the same age, everyone heard of Bob Biestik from Maloney. Also because I went to St.Paul, there was friends of mine attending St.Paul from Meriden and they always talked about Bob. I got to know him over the last 10 years, he was great friends with my brother. As I stated earlier unfortunately my brother also tragically and as suddenly as Bob, passed away 2 years ago at the much to young age of 48. The 2 largest wakes I have ever attended were my brothers and Bob's. It is a testament to both about how they touched people's lives.
My brother's wife is Marrianne's best friend. She has been with her 100 % of the time these last few days. Unfortunately they have both had to lose the loves of their lives at to young an age. Marianne is a great person. Bob used to call her his princess. I will greatly miss tailgating with him, going to the signing day event and just hanging out with him. He really was the best.

Reaction Score
mauconnfan, to answer your question, that was the Pearson years. Again being from St. Paul, I rooted against BC in those days. A friend of mine played safety for BC against Bob' Maloney team and he was a pretty tough kid and a good player ( made all - conference). He tells the story how the scariest moment of his HS career came playing against Bob. Bob ran a boot leg and came around the corner and the only person left was my friend. He just froze in his shoes ready to get run over when Bob lost his footing and landed on top of him. He was credited for the tackle and that is in his mind the most memorable play of his HS career. He says if Bob did not slip, he would have probably ended up in the hospital.

Reaction Score
mauconnfan, As I get ready to attend funeral , I keep thinking back to your above post. This is in regards to Gary Pearson. Arguably one of the top 5 RB's ever to play CT HS football. I believe he set the UMass career rushing record. Not sure if it still stands. Got drafted by the Seahawks, but can not remember if he played for a year or two for them or not. I am not sure if you are aware, but he also unfortunately has passed away. It happened within the last 6 - 12 months. Makes you want to make every minute we have count.

Reaction Score
Time always heals sad times and the wounds of loss, but memories of great moments last forever. Thanks for the memories Bob.

Reaction Score
mauconnfan, As I get ready to attend funeral , I keep thinking back to your above post. This is in regards to Gary Pearson. Arguably one of the top 5 RB's ever to play CT HS football. I believe he set the UMass career rushing record. Not sure if it still stands. Got drafted by the Seahawks, but can not remember if he played for a year or two for them or not. I am not sure if you are aware, but he also unfortunately has passed away. It happened within the last 6 - 12 months. Makes you want to make every minute we have count.

Guessing we ran into each other today......thanks for the memories of Robert......If you played in his golf event for the pantry we definitely know each other....maybe met at the Manor once and of course the Polish Club.........he had a lot of good friends I met the last few years so thank you!!......So sorry to hear about you brother, tragically young.......it was a great day today to reminisce with his old roomates like DeOssie, Wheelsy, Niziolek, Tim Riordan and Murph....hope you got to meet them...as my buddy Kevin Russell said when delivering the eulogy....the stories about our trips to BC to see Robert play and then hang out after should never be known....what happened at BC stays at BC...lol....of course when he mentioned my name and my buddy JD he also threw the paper towards the Father.....

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I remember him playing my buddies on the Plainville High football team and running for about 300 yards at Ceppa (?) field. He and Murphy were part of a great hoops team, too. He was an unstoppable player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom