OT: Favorite toys while growing up.... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite toys while growing up....

Reaction Score
Also, chemistry sets! Always made my mother a bit uneasy . . . and not without some justification. ;)
1586976716738.png

Reaction Score
Only old farts will recognize this toy:

View attachment 53085
My dad had his from when he was a kid and when I was placed in the gifted program at my school, he dusted the collection off and encouraged me to build stuff. He also got out his old train set and we built elaborate bridges and sets to go with the train sets.

Reaction Score
I grew up on Transformers, G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K. and they were a quick fad... key cars. But the Christmas I received Optimus Prime, was the Christmas I had bragging rights over my friends. I still have it. It's a little worn, but it's up on the shelf in one the rooms of my house.
I also love that they are reissuing some of these. I'm getting my great nephew into them. He has his own OP now without the trailer. We also build the Lego Speed Champions cars. I get one every few months.
Now, I'm waiting for Hasbro to reissue G.I. Joe and M.A.S.K. because I know he'll love them.

For sentimental reasons, I loved my SNES. I was assure my parents couldn't afford it. It was the last time I was truly surprised on Christmas day.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Toys? We didn't have no stinkin' toys. We had jobs.
Seriously, I was one of three brothers, and don't recall any toys that were specifically mine. I had a hunting knife, does that count? I threw it through my foot playing mumbletypeg.
Oh, I remember one. A parachute. A big, orange one. I saw it coming down from the sky one day. It landed on the roof of a neighbor's house. Told my father, and he called Town Hall. They sent the fire department to retrieve the black box from the weather balloon. Before satellites, they used balloons to gather data to help forecast weather. So I asked the fireman if I could have the parachute. He gave it to me. We used to take it and a 5 gallon paint bucket full of trap rock to the top of the scaffolding on a billboard and toss it off. That's what passed for fun when I was like 10.
Then the weird little kid from the corner, whose over protective mother had finally allowed him to play with the other kids in the neighborhood decided to dump the rocks,put his feet in the bucket and hop off the scaffolding. We all told him he was going to get killed. But he just broke a whole bunch of bones. The cops took the parachute away.

Reaction Score
I grew up on Transformers, G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K. and they were a quick fad... key cars. But the Christmas I received Optimus Prime, was the Christmas I had bragging rights over my friends. I still have it. It's a little worn, but it's up on the shelf in one the rooms of my house.
I also love that they are reissuing some of these. I'm getting my great nephew into them. He has his own OP now without the trailer. We also build the Lego Speed Champions cars. I get one every few months.
Now, I'm waiting for Hasbro to reissue G.I. Joe and M.A.S.K. because I know he'll love them.

For sentimental reasons, I loved my SNES. I was assure my parents couldn't afford it. It was the last time I was truly surprised on Christmas day.
Yes. Ahhh the mid 80s when transformers and GI joe ruled the boys wishlists and cabbage patch dolls for the girlies. Lol. Brings back some great memories, when toys r us was king.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Not good at posting pictures. But I amused myself with the vibrating football game. Players would move across the board haphazardly. Had small felt football
My next door neighbor had one of those.

Reaction Score
Only old farts will recognize this toy:

View attachment 53085
The first thing I thought of when I read the title of this thread was the erector set. What is more kid friendly then sharp edged pieces of metal and small screws and nuts? Well, maybe a game of Jarts.

Reaction Score
My next door neighbor had one of those.
I had one of these as well. What a joke. Supposedly, you could adjust the little white pieces of plastic under the players to make them run routes. Never worked for me.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That would be near the top of my worst toys list. That game was terrible.
Well yeah, but he amused himself with it while it was vibrating so...

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score

Key cars!! I totally forgot about those.
Them hard plastic wrestling figures were the most violent household weapon my brother and I ever had.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it counts as a toy, but if any one of you sat down to a meal with my mother and asked about Hoophound as a kid, she’d tell you how many Big Wheels I wore out. She insists those were so far and away the best thing they ever bought my brother and I and frankly, I wish I had one right now, so she’s probably right.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Playing “diving catches” with a Nerf football on a nice lawn or in the snow is a classic CT boy activity.
In my neighborhood--and family--you had to be careful that some jackal didn't dip it in water and freeze it before throwing it to you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom