OT: Favorite Pro Athletes as a Kid | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Pro Athletes as a Kid

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Who were yours?

For context, I was born at the end of '76.

BASEBALL: Wade Boggs. Hit .368. Drew chai (חַי) in the dirt before every AB, which in my eyes basically made him Jewish. But I still haven't forgiven him for riding a frickin' horse in Yankee Stadium, as memorialized in the biopic/unintentional comedy film "Joe Torre: Curveballs Along the Way": ).
(Unfortunately, the scene depicting the rando they got to play Boggs riding a horse is not included in that clip.)

Obviously, there was another baseball player that I was a fan of, but I was in college when he came on the scene.

FOOTBALL: LT, the best defensive player in NFL history. Sure, he's had some personal problems. Still the best defensive player in NFL history. Lawrence Taylor: Top 10 career plays

As few people know, I've also been a Raiders fan since I was about 5, when I made my grandparents buy me a #46 black and silver jersey. Todd Christensen wasn't my guy, but Marcus Allen was. Then Tim Brown and Bo. This was on my wall for years:

c27f16257204402e8241f9b3a4c23c61.jpg

BASKETBALL: Larry Bird. Obviously. Top 10 plays of Larry Bird's Hall of Fame NBA career | ESPN Archives

RIP my #2 guy, Reggie Lewis.

HOCKEY: For 4-5 years, peaking with their title, I was a gigantic Rangers fan. Then the lockout, then I went to college, and the Devils took over, and I basically haven't followed hockey since. Back then, Darren Turcotte was my man, until they traded him 7 months before they won the Stanley Cup (what they call in the sports world "getting Nomared"). That whole '94 team was great, but I guess I liked Leetch the most, since he was a CT guy.

TENNIS: Any kid that ever flung a tennis racket looked up to McEnroe. I also liked Goran Ivanisevic. Best serve.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Baseball: Ted Williams
Football: Doak Walker, then Jim Brown.
Basketball: Bill Russell (Still my all time favorite) then Big-O and eventually Dr. J.

Last edited:

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Baseball: Ken Griffey Jr. Still the sweetest swing ive ever seen.

Football: Derrick Thomas and Christian Okoye. DT could turn that corner about a foot off the ground and Okoye ... he could point to where he was gonna run and there wasnt a thing you could do about it.

Reaction Score
Baseball: Hank Aaron. Set the HR record when I was in Little League.
Basketball: Walt Frazier. Clyde was the epitome of cool - back when "cool" was actually used as an adjective.
Football: Roger Staubach. Those titanic battles with the Redskins and the come from behind last minute wins in the playoffs were fantastic.
Hockey: Frank Mahovlich. I just liked saying the name.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Baseball: Jim Rice, Dave Kingman, George Foster, Tom Seaver
NBA: Dr. J, George Gervin, Daryl Dawkins
UConn Bball: Mike McKay, Norman Bailey, Verne Giscombe
NFL: Jack Youngblood, Nolan Cromwell, Wendell Tyler, Joe Klecko. Freeman McNeil
Golf: Tom Watson
Racing: Mario Andretti, Cale Yarlborough, Bugs Stevens
Boxing: Larry Holmes, Marvin Hagler and Marlon Starling
Rasslin': Superfly Snuka, Road Warriors
Tennis: John McEnroe, Stefan Edberg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Basketball- Clyde Drexler- I was obsessed with him to the point I copied the way he played which wasn't good because he played the least fundamental way ever and only he could pull it off. Head down when he dribbled, kicked his feet up when he shot. etc.

Honorable mention- Barkley, Drazen Petrovic, and Johnnie Selvie.

Football- Barry Sanders and Lawrence Taylor, still the two best football players I've ever seen.

Honorable mention- Kevin Greene, Steve Atwater, and Steve Young.

Baseball- never really had a favorite player but I loved watching Rickey Henderson and Bagwell play.

Boxing- Tommy The Hitman Hearns and Iron Mike

Tennis- McEnroe and Goran Ivanisevic

WWF- Rowdy Roddy Piper

Favorite athlete as an adult- Dirk

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Football: Steve Young
Basketball: Jason Williams
Baseball: Pedro Martinez

Reaction Score
MLB- Frank Thomas
NBA - Shawn Kemp and Gary Peyton
NHL - Ron Francis
NFL - Tim Brown and Howie Long, and more as a teen but Charles Woodson if cant tell by my name.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Baseball: Roger Clemens, Nomar, Mo Vaughn, Vladimir Guerrero, Jeff Bagwell

Hoops: Shaq, KG, Ray, Rip, Jonathan Bender (pierce would be in here normally, but I loathed his entire existence at Kansas that it’s not fair to include him)

Football: Steve young, Steve McNair, Tommy
Frazier, Jevon kearse

Wrestling: Bret Hart, Sting, The Rock

Hockey: Patrick Roy, Ray bourque, Kevin Dineen, Geoff Sanderson

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Baseball: Mickey Mantle
Football: Jim Brown
NBA: Bob Pettit or Sam Jones

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Basketball- Clyde Drexler- I was obsessed with him to the point I copied the way he played which wasn't good because he played the least fundamental way ever and only he could pull it off. Head down when he dribbled, kicked his feet up when he shot. etc.

Football- Barry Sanders and Lawrence Taylor, still the two best football players I've ever seen.

Baseball- never really had a favorite player but I loved watching Rickey Henderson and Bagwell play.

WWF- Rowdy Roddy Piper

Sanders is probably my favorite athlete-on-another-team. My favorite RB ever.

Reaction Score
NHL: Kevin Dineen, Ron Francis
MLB: Piazza, Darryl Strawberry, Ken Griffey, Donnie baseball, Paul Oneill, growing up the core 4 of course and Bernie Williams (should be a part of the core 4).

NFL: LT, Marino, Deion, Elway,

NBA: 90s Knicks like Ewing, Starks, Oakley, and Mase. Penny and Shaq, Rodman (I'm always a fan of the crazy guys in sports).

Reaction Score
College B.B: laettner
NBA: laimbeer
NFL: Tie: OJ/ Greg hardy
MLB: Canseco
NHL: Eddie Johnston

On 2nd thought...
NBA: bird
NFL: LT/Gastineau
MLB: Jim rice
NHL: Ron Francis

Reaction Score
Sanders is probably my favorite athlete-on-another-team. My favorite RB ever.

Absolutly always got up early to watch him on Thanksgiving's.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Basketball- Clyde Drexler- I was obsessed with him to the point I copied the way he played which wasn't good because he played the least fundamental way ever and only he could pull it off. Head down when he dribbled, kicked his feet up when he

Superjohn enjoy. This so for you and other Drexler fans

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

WWF- Rowdy Roddy Piper

Huge Phi Slamma Jamma fan. Was barely a teenager and lost a ton of money on that championship game.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Jim Thorpe.

He was a corker.

Reaction Score
Baseball: Carl Yastrzemski
Basketball: Wilt the "Stilt" Chamberlain, The Dr. Julius Erving. In his prime I believe The Dr would have cleaned the clocks of Jordan, Bryant, James and anyone else. Only player i know that played all 5 positions in a game.

Football: Bob Lilly, defensive lineman for the Dallas Cowboys back in the "Doomsday Defense" days. Head coach Tom Landry. Inventor of the Nickle and Dime packages. was the only coach I ever saw that incorporated a tactic on offense where the O-linemen did not immediately go into a three point stance but would bend at the knees, then stand up straight as the backfield shifted, then went down into their three point stance in an effort to disguise the backfield alignment prior to the snap. Have never seen any other team do that. Pure genius.

Reaction Score
Tom Terrific.

Once he broke my heart by signing with the Reds I never had another favorite.
Pretty sure I remember him demanding a trade after a story by Dick Young.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom