OT: Favorite Old Movies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Old Movies

Reaction Score
Lotsa stuff on TCM ..... the cable companies bundle TCM a lot of times into their sports package....so its either pay the rat bastards for something you don't want.....or a good excuse for getting something you do want

Fav's from different genre's
Red River
Stagecoach
Shane
To Have and Have Not
Out of the Past
All Hitchcock
Any Marx Brothers
Any WC Fields
Its a mad mad mad mad world.....the scene where they're splitting up "shares" on the side of the road will suffice - its a who's who of comics

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
To Have and Have Not is very good. I guess I didn't expect Jack Benny to be so good.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
My favorite list has much in common with many others on the BY. Casablanca, To Kill a Mockingbird, 12 Angry men, The Godfather, The Searchers and High Noon , and also Roman Holiday. But I have one that I have not seen posted, and it is The Informer , 1935, with Victor McLaglen as Best Actor, John Ford as best director, Dudley Nichols for best screenplay. It is an adaptation of a Liam O'Flaherty novel set in Ireland during the civil war in the 1920s. Worth the watch if you can find it.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Lotsa stuff on TCM ..... the cable companies bundle TCM a lot of times into their sports package....so its either pay the rat bastards for something you don't want.....or a good excuse for getting something you do want

Fav's from different genre's
Red River
Stagecoach
Shane
To Have and Have Not
Out of the Past
All Hitchcock
Any Marx Brothers
Any WC Fields
Its a mad mad mad mad world.....the scene where they're splitting up "shares" on the side of the road will suffice - its a who's who of comics
Viaduct via not a chicken

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I won't give a list, just one of. Again, not an oldie. But every time, and I mean every time it's on TV I find a way to watch at least some of it. So many scenes, so much of the dialogue from this film are indelibly etched on my minds retina. "You were saying something about best intentions?"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My favorite is Casablanca: here's looking at you kid. I also enjoy Gone With The Wind which I found to be very impressive. In 1948 as a young boy, my father took me to see John Wayne in the Sands of Iwo Jima. Because of that movie, I enlisted in the US Marine Corps in 1967.

Reaction Score
For pure laughs and a cameo cast that didn’t stop - 1864 Walter Matthau movie “A Guide for the Marrued Man”. A movie that ran the gamut from slapstick to sadness and everything in between “Forrest Gump”.
I'm taking my mother to see our favorite old movie, "Gone With The Wind" tonight. It's a special screening for its 80th anniversary (wow)
that aging is scary. Means it was 65 years ago when I was projectionist for two shows a day for two weeks taking leave from the army to make money replacing striking projectionists for the 15th anniversary showing of Gone With The Wind in downtown Atlanta.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
TCM's 30 Days of Oscar allowed me to discover 2 gems I had never seen before:

Three Colors: Red. Best foreign language, I believe. Beautiful pic. Mostly talk, unlike the Bruce Willis film.

The Nun's Story. Lost to Ben-Hur, but really, TNS is better. Sort of a Hollywood version of a Robert Bresson spiritual study, but also kind of a horror movie.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Holiday, Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant, I think 1939. Also with both of them Philadelphia Story from a year or so later.

I'm with many above, Bogart and Bacall; The Marx Brothers (especially Monkey Business); Hitchcock (especially Rebecca); the Thin Man movies.

They're not really movies, but I still love Bugs Bunny and the Little Rascals.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Holiday, Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant, I think 1939. Also with both of them Philadelphia Story from a year or so later.

I'm with many above, Bogart and Bacall; The Marx Brothers (especially Monkey Business); Hitchcock (especially Rebecca); the Thin Man movies.

They're not really movies, but I still love Bugs Bunny and the Little Rascals.
I like all your choices. Hepburn and Grant in Bringing Up Baby is also a fantastically funny movie. The cast is amazing and well suited to their roles.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I like all your choices. Hepburn and Grant in Bringing Up Baby is also a fantastically funny movie. The cast is amazing and well suited to their roles.
"Bringing Up Baby" and "The Producers" are two of my favorite all time comedies. I'm also very partial to this one, and if you've ever been a home owner that has embarked on renovation or one who has built a house you'll understand.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
"Bringing Up Baby" and "The Producers" are two of my favorite all time comedies. I'm also very partial to this one, and if you've ever been a home owner that has embarked on renovation or one who has built a house you'll understand.

Another good one. Grant pretty much assures any movie is good.

Reaction Score

Bringing Up Baby is probably my favorite comedy, and I suspect that The Producers is my wife's favorite comedy. Mr. Blandings is very good as well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I won't give a list, just one of. Again, not an oldie. But every time, and I mean every time it's on TV I find a way to watch at least some of it. So many scenes, so much of the dialogue from this film are indelibly etched on my minds retina. "You were saying something about best intentions?"

"...And you shall know that I am the Lord when I lay my hand etc, etc. Me too @JordyG. Darkly humorous.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Most of you and your choices are too high brow for me - yes all great movies, but my tastes are more simple or simple minded. A truly great period piece however, that I watch every time I can, involves one of the great duos of "modern" movie making, John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. I chose this scene to get you flks ready for your NCAA game viewing in your favorite pub:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Another Wayne favorite because of it's dealing with some important issues (alcoholism being one) :

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom