OT: Fast stretches of Interstate Highway | The Boneyard

OT: Fast stretches of Interstate Highway

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Apropos of nothing in particular, other than a few people talking about highway driving in recent threads, I thought I'd see what roads 'Yarders have found to have the fastest traffic.

A few stretches from my experience:

1. Mass Pike from the junction of I-84 to at least the outer beltway around greater Boston I-495. Been a few years since I was on that road, but traffic never failed to haul some serious a*s on that stretch of the Pike. 80 mph being pedestrian, IIRC.

2. I-95 between Baltimore and Delaware Memorial bridge, mostly between the two big Maryland rest stops and Delaware. Again this stretch is easy enough to cruise at 80, 85 or even 90 without too much trouble. Plenty of folks going 80+.

3. I-355 in western Chicagoland, especially southbound. Holy canoli. I remember when this interstate 'connector' opened about 20 yrs ago. Southbound is a tad downhill and the road was so wide and beautiful when it opened that people treated it like the Indianapolis motor speedway. Who knows, maybe its a pothole-filled wasteland now. But for quite a while, this was one FAST stretch of road...

My father started his career in sales working in the mountain west, back when things were basically "reasonable and proper" on the open roads. He would regularly go 110 in the behemoth machines they once called cars, travelling between this or that sales call. I am guessing that out west there are still a lotttt of high-speed stretches. Phoenix to L.A. I did travel once.... People were a motorin', albeit with a higher speed limit.

jpg

Last edited:

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I-80 through southern Wyoming. Mountain West generally.

I have gone on many, many motorcycle rides through RT 90 in Montana & South Dakota (IIRC it also cuts through a small part of Wyoming). In the early years the speed limit was "reasonable and prudent". That translated to 90-100 mph or more. Now the limit is 75 and most vehicles travel 90-100 or more.

btw the image on the left is Icefields Parkway in Alberta, from one of those rides.

Reaction Score
ShowLetter_1.jpg
Rt.25 in Trumbull

There are a few spots where on/off ramps are spaced far enough apart to prevent traffic from getting in the way, so really late at night when those areas are traffic free, you can be "fast" traffic all by yourself, albeit for short bursts.;)

Trust me, I know.:rolleyes:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't go much over the speed limit, but I do move with traffic.

I agree with the stretches of 95 and Mass Pike noted; in Chicagoland I was never on a roadway that had little enough traffic on it to have any idea what folks did when it wasn't bumper to bumper.:(

I-10 which I drive frequently from Tucson into Texas has a lengthy stretch of 80 mile per hour speed limit, you really don't see a lot of speeding but boy do you eat up the miles. Route 20, which branches off in Texas and heads north to Fort Worth (East Bound) also has a high speed section.

One of the reasons I move "with" traffic, regardless of what speed I could do, was seen in the numerous pulled over vehicles (including one that must have been going 100 when he went by me) that were seen pulled over by cops on the side of the road as we made our way east to visit my wife's ailing mother.

Reaction Score
I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln, NE. Straight but rolling and nothing but rigs, usually side by side gaining speed on the downs to save on the ups. Nothing to do but get over 85-90 or find a rest area and let them by.Then pull out and quickly find another set of rigs gaining on you. Really fun when they are having one of their powdery dry snow and you don't want to go that fast.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln, NE. Straight but rolling and nothing but rigs, usually side by side gaining speed on the downs to save on the ups.

That was the one spot I was ever pulled over for speeding - for going 72mph. Nothing like having out-of-state plates.

Reaction Score
That connector from New London to Worcester (is it 195?) is the patch of road I've driven about as fast as I've ever driven for a sustained period of time. Given that the statute of limitations applies, I would have admitted to 135 to 150 mph. in the middle of the day. (I really loved that Acura Legend Coupe - Flying low - Bose sound system blasting -Phantom of the Opera <and Styx>)

Reaction Score
I-40 out west
I-95 in Maine or its called the Maine Highway? but people were going fast and left plenty of room between vehicles. Nice!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have gone on many, many motorcycle rides through RT 90 in Montana & South Dakota (IIRC it also cuts through a small part of Wyoming). In the early years the speed limit was "reasonable and prudent". That translated to 90-100 mph or more. Now the limit is 75 and most vehicles travel 90-100 or more.
Had a friend years ago who lived in Washington, was heading home through Montana (leave from the Navy), said he was stopped going around 110 mph. The cop gave him a $5 ticket he paid on the spot. Then the cop told him if he got stopped again, just let them know he'd already been given a ticket and there would be no problem. :D Sooooo basically a toll. ;) Knowing my friend, he wound it right back up.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That connector from New London to Worcester (is it 195?) is the patch of road I've driven about as fast as I've ever driven for a sustained period of time. Given that the statute of limitations applies, I would have admitted to 135 to 150 mph. in the middle of the day. (I really loved that Acura Legend Coupe - Flying low - Bose sound system blasting -Phantom of the Opera <and Styx>)
Probably Sammy Hagar would have been more appropriate. :cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
One of the funnest roads I've driven, back when I had a car that could was the Saw Mill River Parkway (from 684 to 287) in NY. Two lane road, very narrow. Very winding. Kind of like a slalom course. Concrete walls on the side (on portions of it). A couple stop lights that come up very quickly. Car entering and exiting sporadically.

Was never really crowded. I guess most people were a bit afraid of it. Lot's of cars whipping 80-90 mph through there. Lot's of fun to see how fast you could get through it without crashing.

But again that was back in the day.

Reaction Score
I have my own selection of "Drive Fast" music. No hair-bands in the group (unless you count Steppenwolf).

Probably Sammy Hagar would have been more appropriate. :cool:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
JimGunther said:

Whoa....!

Reaction Score
Whoa....!

Z-rated tires...steady as a rock...and so frightfully quiet ....could hardly tell you were moving.

I'm not certain I even had a radar detector at the time. I was always luckier than smart. As I've gotten older, I've relied less on luck but, I'm no smarter.
Today, I just keep up with traffic in the middle lane.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Z-rated tires...steady as a rock...and so frightfully quiet ....could hardly tell you were moving.

I'm not certain I even had a radar detector at the time. I was always luckier than smart. As I've gotten older, I've relied less on luck but, I'm no smarter.
Today, I just keep up with traffic in the middle lane.

I think my current Michelins are Y-rated, but the fastest I've ever had my Audi A6 is about 110 and that was only for a few moments. I have to say, this car really feels more comfortable and nimble at high speeds (80-90) than it does in town or at regular highway speeds. Sounds like it might have been the same with your Acura! Maybe someday I'll really open it up...

Reaction Score
I have my own selection of "Drive Fast" music. No hair-bands in the group (unless you count Steppenwolf).
That's the one thing I miss in my Hemicuda', the tunes, so instead I settle for the music of 1629hp at 8000rpm, in the vicinity of 200mph.

Oh the sacrifices we must sometimes make.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I think my current Michelins are Y-rated, but the fastest I've ever had my Audi A6 is about 110 and that was only for a few moments. I have to say, this car really feels more comfortable and nimble at high speeds (80-90) than it does in town or at regular highway speeds. Sounds like it might have been the same with your Acura! Maybe someday I'll really open it up...

Perhaps you should consider taking the A6 to a road course like Lime Rock (CT), Summit Point (WV), Virginia International Raceway (VA) and sign up for an HPDE (high performance driver education) given by NASA (National Auto Sport Association). There, for a weekend, you will have an instructor with you and you can really learn where your A6's limits are - and yours. Its the most fun you can have with your pants on!

The first time I did it in my Subaru STI my ears hurt so much from smiling.

Reaction Score
Whoa! I didn't realize that was YOUR Pro-Mod. Takes BIG ONES to drive THAT puppy.

While NHRA Drag Racing is still my favorite motorsport, going 60 / 70 MPH in my little car (www.LotusV6.com) is thrilling enough for me

I was in Italy a few weeks ago (2,000 kilometers - almost ALL back roads) - sure wish I had my Lotus 7 (replicar)

That's the one thing I miss in my Hemicuda', the tunes, so instead I settle for the music of 1629hp at 8000rpm, in the vicinity of 200mph.

Oh the sacrifices we must sometimes make.

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
I've dealt with Orlando, Atlanta, Detroit, and a few other places. Boston was the top of my list for a long, long time. Chicago beats it hands-down.

Of course, I've become a country driver since moving to Iowa. I see more farm implements than actual traffic. But I had to take I-88 into Chicago and nearly gave myself a heart attack. Having the toll booths on the right about 1/10 of a mile before exiting on the left doesn't help either. Trying to fight my way over while everyone else is doing 90 in a 55 zone. Yeesh. I'll stick to the truck traffic on I-80 while I make my way to Iowa City each week.

Reaction Score
Wimpy USA drivers! The current fastest clocked speed on the autobahn is 268.8 MPH in Mercedes Benz W125, and that was done in the 1930s. Imagine tootling along at 65 MPH and having someone pass you going 200 MPH faster!

Reaction Score
601190_10150910975234849_1160446613_n.jpg
Whoa! I didn't realize that was YOUR Pro-Mod. Takes BIG ONES to drive THAT puppy.

While NHRA Drag Racing is still my favorite motorsport, going 60 / 70 MPH in my little car (www.LotusV6.com) is thrilling enough for me

I was in Italy a few weeks ago (2,000 kilometers - almost ALL back roads) - sure wish I had my Lotus 7 (replicar)
It looks like a Pro Mod and it's built like a Pro Mod, but it's got lights, a horn, mufflers and is registered and insured. Although the paper work was done BEFORE the modifications.:D

My other one (this black Dart) is FAR more street friendly than my purple car..

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
View attachment 6224
It looks like a Pro Mod and it's built like a Pro Mod, but it's got lights, a horn, mufflers and is registered and insured. Although the paper work was done BEFORE the modifications.:D

My other one (this black Dart) is FAR more street friendly than my purple car..

wowowowowwwwwwwwwwwwwww

That's all I can think of ! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member